Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need opinion on hat (particularly of the ladies of the Lounge)

Alon

One of the Regulars
All too often I read comments on the forum made about someone's new acquisition that I strongly disagree with. As a matter of fact, 99% of the response to new hats has been extremely positive, even when in my humble opinion the hat looks atrocious for a particular head (and those are moments in which I keep silent). I'm looking for an honest valuation of this stingey brim - my first and likely my last - on my head before I go out into the wide world.

The brim is 1 3/4", I prefer at least 2 1/4". I often associate such fedoras with Tyrolean hats which, frankly, look ridiculous - on Oktoberfest but particularly in daily life.

So, what's your honest opinion? Good or bad, please let me know. And if you're willing to trade it for a 7 1/2 with a wider brim, just let me know!

Without further ado...

2637940824_cf4e64a678.jpg

and

2637112791_71624ac318.jpg

Also, I thought of being a little funky and replacing the 2" ribbon with 1 or 1 1/4" ribbon of a brighter colour: burgundy or light blue. What do you think? I imagine doing that will significantly lower the value of the hat (this is a vintage Cavanagh) but I associate wider ribbons with formality, and this is definitely not something I'd wear for a formal occasion. I'd appreciate suggestions on this matter, as well.

Thanks!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
For me, nothing's wrong with this stingy brim. It looks good on you BUT... I suggest don't tilt it. Wear it straight. Some hats look great on certain heads when tilted but I don't know, this one seems rather wrong. Yeah, I guess just wear it straight. ;)

Well, Alon, I think that hat looks much better on you than it would on me. This is not to say I think it's the best look for you, though.

The tastes here run toward the traditional. We generally prefer wider brims and taller, straighter-sided crowns. That's fine by me, as that's the look I generally prefer, too, although my views have gradually become somewhat more expansive.

Your fundamental point is well taken. I, too, clam up when I see a photo of a guy in a hat that, in my view, just doesn't work for him. I don't see any point in hurting a person's feelings. And besides, if he likes it, what I think doesn't (or shouldn't) matter.

We don't see it all that often here, but perhaps the most common "error" is too much hat. Too tall. Too wide. Too dominating. As an example, the Indiana Jones type of fedora, which I have nothing against. Indeed, that general style has a lot to recommend it. But when I see a smallish guy with a youngish face wearing one of those things, I can't help but think that the guy is doing what we warn against -- he doesn't wear his hat, his hat wears him. But again, that's just my view. There are undoubtedly people who find my sartorial sense somewhat lacking, too. If they bothered commenting to that effect (provided I hadn't asked for their views), I'd be left to wonder what made me worth the attention.

Stoney

Practically Family
Alon,

Why all the negativity dude?

Personally, and quite honestly, I think that the hat looks fine on you.
It's obviously an older one and with a nice fat ribbon. The crown las a slight taper to it , but not too much. There are several folks here on the FL that would be proud to own such a hat. Can you tell us a little more about it and maybe give us a photo of the inside as well?

As Tony said, a large percentage of the loungers prefer a wider brim. That's fine by me, but I like a little variety and stingies like the one that you are sporting are always welcome to add the the mix of lids.

The bottom line, of course is that you have to like it, not me. So take this for what it's worth, not much since it is your opinion that counts the most.

Oh and I would leave the hat as is.Putting a smaller ribbon on it will not improve it IMHO.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Yohanes said:
For me, nothing's wrong with this stingy brim. It looks good on you BUT... I suggest don't tilt it. Wear it straight. Some hats look great on certain heads when tilted but I don't know, this one seems rather wrong. Yeah, I guess just wear it straight. ;)

I agree. The tilt doesn't look right. I also think the proportions are off for you. Seem like you need a larger brim.

Clay

Mulceber

Practically Family
The COW forum is worse. Most of those skinny kids look absolutely ridiculous in their tall stovepipe Indy hats, but nobody will tell them.

Hate to break it to you, but the majority of the people on COW are 30 or older, so I'm not really sure what you're referring to. And anyway, most of the people I've seen over there look fine in their hats. There's the occasional person who should probably seek out a different style, but for the most part, as you said, it's all a question of what people are used to seeing.

As for your hat Alon, I think it looks pretty good. Not as good as other styles might, and I would definitely avoid tilting it, but not bad at all. Wear it in good health. -M

Feraud

Bartender
kabuto said:
It's similar to sushi eating rules in the U.S. that nobody in Japan has ever heard of.
The only rule about U.S. sushi eating is...there are no rules! lol

Actually while dining at a highly recommended NYC sushi restaurant (Sushi Yasuda) our waiter (Japanese) gave us dining instructions. The wait staff and management pride themselves on offering the tradition of Japanese sushi dining.

deelovely

Practically Family
I agree with Mulceber and the others... I "think it looks pretty good. Not as good as other styles might, and I would definitely avoid tilting it, but not bad at all." :) And I wouldn't change the ribbon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy