Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some help identifying this cafe racer

SJC

Suspended
Thanks for all your nice comments. I didn't really need this jacket, but the fit is so comfortable, I had to have it. I'm extremely pleased with this purchase.

It's odd but there's no evidence whatsoever that there ever was an interior tag identifying the maker. No tag remnant or stitch holes where one might have been placed. So glad @ton312 came through with a positive ID.
I love your jacket. Are you going to put any kind of leather oil on it to protect it from the elements?
Steve

SJC

Suspended
Tell you what - you may not need it, but it looks so much better than many brand new, over engineered, big money jackets you could blow your cash on. This is the real thing, not a tribute item - the inspiration behind the passion for leather jackets.
Isn't that the truth. It is crazy that these jackets have become in the thousands of dollars brand new. I am not selling any vintage jacket. I'm holding on to them forever.
Steve

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Do you mean a taxonomy or classification of jacket types? I agree.
That as well but I'm also interested in the history, development and influences leather jackets have on society, hence anthropology. I understand the university in Durham had a module on Harry Potter. Don't see why they shouldn't have one on leather jackets. I'm sure there are lots of emeritus professors in this lounge.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I know right! I only recently discovered this and I immediately ordered the lightning and clutch issues on leather jackets. I hope the shipping from the official lightning website doesn't take too long to reach!

Reactions: SJC

Peacoat

Bartender
ton312 says it is steer. He is probably right, given his knowledge of these jackets, but it looks like goat in the photographs. One way to tell is after wearing it on a regular basis for 5 years and it still looks brand new with no creasing and no patina, it is goat. If it has developed character in patina and creasing, it is cow.

SJC

Suspended
Hi everyone.

I'm excited! I just purchased a vintage (?) cafe racer I found at a vintage clothing store. I'd really like to learn more about it (there are no tags) and wanted to ask the experts here:

1. Who is the manufacturer?
2. Any idea what kind of leather it is? Feels like my 1960s goatskin G-1, but I'm no leather expert.
3. What approximate time period does it date from?

Here are some quick photos (sorry for the poor lighting) with some notes:

CR_1.JPG

CR_2.JPG

^ Dark brown in color. The bottom panel on the back seems to ride pretty high (but it's not uncomfortable).

CR_3.JPG

^ The main zip and sleeve zips are by Swift (not familiar with this brand). The chest pocket zips are not branded. Nor is the collar snap button.

CR_4.JPG

CR_5.JPG

^ There are three underarm ventilation holes

CR_6.JPG

^ The front side of the wind flap is finished...

CR_7.JPG

^...while the underside is unfinished

CR_8.JPG

^ The interior has no pockets and is entirely lined in a rayon-like material. The only tag on this jacket is this generic R. Sherman cleaning label.

The salesperson guessed that maybe the lining had been replaced at some point (hence no manufacturer tag). But the presence of the Sherman cleaning label refutes that.

What do you guys think?
Are you keeping it untouched or will you add a leather oil to it to moisturizer it and protect it from rain, ultra violet light, etc etc? I have had great success with LeatherHoney in West Virgina on my Brooks Made in Detroit but mine is heavy steerhide. My brand new SCHOTT 641HH in front quarter horsehide I'm not touching it at all .

Gamma68

One Too Many
ton312 says it is steer. He is probably right, given his knowledge of these jackets, but it looks like goat in the photographs. One way to tell is after wearing it on a regular basis for 5 years and it still looks brand new with no creasing and no patina, it is goat. If it has developed character in patina and creasing, it is cow.

Since @ton312 positively identified my jacket, I've done a lot of web searching for Kehoe jackets and have yet to see one that isn't labeled steerhide. With no tags or labels at all in my jacket, I can only assume that it's steer.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Are you keeping it untouched or will you add a leather oil to it to moisturizer it and protect it from rain, ultra violet light, etc etc? I have had great success with LeatherHoney in West Virgina on my Brooks Made in Detroit but mine is heavy steerhide. My brand new SCHOTT 641HH in front quarter horsehide I'm not touching it at all .

I believe the prevailing wisdom here is to leave leather alone unless it is obviously dry. Leather jackets are meant to be worn outdoors and exposed to varying weather conditions, so I don't believe they need protection from rain, light, etc.

Yeah, it's cowhide. These were all cowhide. And yeah, no point in soaking the jacket with the conditioner if it's not needed. Besides, not that it will do you any good otherwise, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80