Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need your help!!! WWII Patch Placement

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
As we are planning to have a custom made jacket for my Father's 90th birthday, can anyone advise as to the proper location for the various patches that we will have sewn on?

The ones I am wondering about are the:

WWII US Army Western Pacific patch
WWII Bronze Star Patch
WWII Purple Heart patch

These are reproductions that I have bought as my Dad's originals are all framed. Gibson & Barnes will make the jacket, a GB-2/A Cloth Jacket. They will also sew on the patches. The color will be Olive Drab, with dark brown cuffs and waistband. They charge an extra $38 to do this, plus $2 per patch. We will also have a leather name tag made for Cpl. Donald B. Oleson.

The 24th Infantry patch will go on the left sleeve. Do not know where to place the Western Pacific patch...right sleeve? I know where to put his rank insignia patches.

Any ideas on this? The jacket for obvious reasons will not 100% replicate a military uniform, but I want to come as close as possible.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I'm not certain what the two decoration patches look like. I'm assuming they replicate the suspension medals themselves.
Worn properly they would go on the left breast. The Bronze Star ranks higher in precedence, so would be worn closer to the heart than the Purple Heart medal. Side by side is appropriate, and could be worn under the name tape in this instance. Proper Mil Regs would have them above the tapes if an actual uniform. You didn't mention if he was a flyer or ground combat. If awarded a Combat Infantry Badge, Jump or Aircrew wings, I would include those also.
Those are worn above decorations and name tapes.

Hope this is useful for you.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I'm not certain what the two decoration patches look like. I'm assuming they replicate the suspension medals themselves.
Worn properly they would go on the left breast. The Bronze Star ranks higher in precedence, so would be worn closer to the heart than the Purple Heart medal. Side by side is appropriate, and could be worn under the name tape in this instance. Proper Mil Regs would have them above the tapes if an actual uniform. You didn't mention if he was a flyer or ground combat. If awarded a Combat Infantry Badge, Jump or Aircrew wings, I would include those also.
Those are worn above decorations and name tapes.

Hope this is useful for you.

Thanks! He was in the 24th Infantry, and was a Tech. Cpl., machine gunner in the Philippines (1944-1945). He was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal & Bronze Star Attachment-Single, WWII Victory Medal and the Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award, Philippine Liberation Ribbon, Philippine Independence Button, Honorable Service Lapel Button WWII, Sharpshooter Badge & Rifle Bar.

Do not think we can squeeze all of this in, but want to get the main items on the jacket. The Bronze Star and the Purple Heart, for sure. Plus his Infantry patch on the left sleeve, and the WWII Army Western Pacific patch on...the right sleeve? Not sure.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Yes, his active combat unit patch goes on the left sleeve. In this case the 24th ID "victory division" patch. The right sleeve is reserved for the "honor patch". Typically your previous unit in combat. In this case the theatre patch would be fine.
Don't forget to include his CIB. The infantry is damn proud of those. I saw many a combat support arms try to say they were entitled to them also.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I think that what you are doing for your Father is great! When I was in college I dated a girl that her Grandfather was a B-17 bombardier during WWII. At the time, her family wanted to get him a memorable gift for Christmas and they asked if I knew how to get a flight jacket for him. So, I ordered an A-2 for him, I think it was from G&B, with his nametag and unit patches on it. The look on his face when he opened the box was priceless. I thought he was going to cry.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, we feel that my Dad will appreciate this very much. He is still very active, golfing 2 times each week, plus other activities. He is privately reminiscent on his time spent in the Pacific. However, he very rarely talks about it.

In his mind, the only genuine heroes of WWII are the ones that never returned...

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, his active combat unit patch goes on the left sleeve. In this case the 24th ID "victory division" patch. The right sleeve is reserved for the "honor patch". Typically your previous unit in combat. In this case the theatre patch would be fine.
Don't forget to include his CIB. The infantry is damn proud of those. I saw many a combat support arms try to say they were entitled to them also.

armyUS_forces_western_pacific_patch.jpg This is the patch...goes on the right sleeve???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff