Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 1930's HB Cordovan FQHH and Alpaca

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very nice! I really like the 30's half belt design and would love a Cordovan one someday down the road...!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I think this jacket fits and looks great from the front. On the other hand to be honest the back is lacking in some manner. Not sure what though. I think it has to do with the lower back panel being too high up, maybe could have been 1/3 that high. At first I wasn't even sure that these were pictures of the same jacket............I am still learning though so maybe someone can enlighten me about this.

Last edited:

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
IMO there a 3 reasons for the position of the half belt. First the jacket is snug and don't fall easy to the bottom at the back. You can notice the bulky leather over the half belt at the back. Second the jacket is new and will relax so the back will soften. But most important the position of the half belts are different on the 1930 and the 1950 style jackets. On the 1930 HB the half belt is higher as you can see at the Aero page and also in this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-premier-1930s-half-belt.85143/

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So glad you posted pics of your new HB in Cordovan - good fit - since the jacket is new born it is sure to look better with wear. I am hankering for a Long Half Belt in Cordovan CXL steerhide and seeing a similar HB (even in FQHH) gives me an idea of how the color would look. It appears almost black in your images but I do see a hint of red - I guess it depends on the light it is photographed in. I like the subtle color. Please post future pics as the jacket seasons up a bit.
If you're not particularly a collector, i.e. if you just want a serviceable, all-round useful jacket, you can't do better than the LHB. I find that the pockets on the standard Aero model are extremely useful, particularly when traveling. If you don't mind my asking, why the steerhide over the horse, or the cordovan over the brown? I was a bit leery about the brown when I ordered it, but it's such a beautiful color, with just a tinge of red, that I've never regretted the choice. What everyone here says about the CXL hides is true, that they just get better and better-looking with time. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
If you're not particularly a collector, i.e. if you just want a serviceable, all-round useful jacket, you can't do better than the LHB. I find that the pockets on the standard Aero model are extremely useful, particularly when traveling. If you don't mind my asking, why the steerhide over the horse, or the cordovan over the brown? I was a bit leery about the brown when I ordered it, but it's such a beautiful color, with just a tinge of red, that I've never regretted the choice. What everyone here says about the CXL hides is true, that they just get better and better-looking with time. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

I actually had a LHB way back in 2001 - special ordered with a (no longer available) quilted satin lining. It was a wonderful coat but the horsehide was super stiff and the hide would leave black marks on whatever I wore or rubbed against. Alas, I sold that jacket and have regretted it which is why I want another one but in Cordovan CXL Steerhide. I inquired with Aero about the marking aspect of the horsehide and was told both HH and steer do the same as they are tanned using a similar method.

I have a 1950's half belt FQHH which I got 15 years ago and it is a wonderful jacket. It does leave marks on occasion but I like the jacket so much I don't care. I really do like the HH for it's wonderful character and hope that if I do choose steerhide over HH that I will be happy with it. I have seen many images of the Brown color (HH & Steer) posted on the Thurston thread and I do like that color very much - very warm and rich looking whereas the Cordovan is chameleon like depending on the light.

I've attached an image of my long gone LHB - that was a super wonderful coat and the cost then was almost half of what it will cost to replace it.

long-halfbelt-2.JPG

philosophy101

A-List Customer
I actually had a LHB way back in 2001 - special ordered with a (no longer available) quilted satin lining. It was a wonderful coat but the horsehide was super stiff and the hide would leave black marks on whatever I wore or rubbed against. Alas, I sold that jacket and have regretted it which is why I want another one but in Cordovan CXL Steerhide. I inquired with Aero about the marking aspect of the horsehide and was told both HH and steer do the same as they are tanned using a similar method.

I have a 1950's half belt FQHH which I got 15 years ago and it is a wonderful jacket. It does leave marks on occasion but I like the jacket so much I don't care. I really do like the HH for it's wonderful character and hope that if I do choose steerhide over HH that I will be happy with it. I have seen many images of the Brown color (HH & Steer) posted on the Thurston thread and I do like that color very much - very warm and rich looking whereas the Cordovan is chameleon like depending on the light.

I've attached an image of my long gone LHB - that was a super wonderful coat and the cost then was almost half of what it will cost to replace it.

View attachment 45348
I wonder if Aero would still do a quilted sateen lining as a custom order. I plan to order a LHB in Vicenza for fall delivery, and might want that quilted lining, sort of like the old Sears Hercules models had back in (I think) the 50s.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I wonder if Aero would still do a quilted sateen lining as a custom order. I plan to order a LHB in Vicenza for fall delivery, and might want that quilted lining, sort of like the old Sears Hercules models had back in (I think) the 50s.

I sent an inquiry to Aero 2 weeks ago about the availability of the quilted satin lining and Holly replied back that it's no longer available. I had forwarded some images of my 1950's half belt which also has the quilted lining in a brick color for reference but no luck.

I posted some pics of that jacket on the thread ' best type of lining for brown ???' - don't recall the exact thread topic but someone from 'Scotland' posted a note 'watch this space for future availability of the quilted satin lining'. Whatever that may mean.

As you noted in your post and I recall from memory many horsehide coats had quilted linings but were usually of domestic origin. I'm not a stickler for authenticity or historical accuracy in regards to the type of coats I wear. I know what I like and looks right on me and the half belt style whether it be 1930's, 1950's, LHB or some other nomenclature to describe this type of coat/jacket is my preference.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
We have just received in stock last week custom made two tone acetate rayon quilting. It looks fantastic and is available to order now. Currently we only have one shade which is a lovely green / terracotta two tone. I will have photos available tomorrow.

Last edited:
We have just received in stock last week custom made two tone acitate quilting. It looks fantastic and is available to order now. Currently we only have one shade which is a lovely green / terracotta two tone. I will have photos available tomorrow.
Please share when possible! Would LOVE to see it!!!

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
We have just received in stock last week custom made two tone acitate quilting. It looks fantastic and is available to order now. Currently we only have one shade which is a lovely green / terracotta two tone. I will have photos available tomorrow.

Wonderful news! If this is for real then I will definitely order my Aero LHB with this lining. Hopefully it will be available for more than just a limited time as I think more than a few folks will find this type of lining a nice change of pace from the usual wool or cotton ones. Of course there is the alpaca and shearling too but they are more heavy duty - IMMHO.

View attachment 45348
Just as an FYI my Cordo bootlegger has never left its mark anywhere!

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Just a teaser from my phone.
Beautiful!! Once this goes live then please provide info on how to request this lining when ordering my Aero LHB. I had sent images to Holly showing the lining of my 1950's half belt with a brick colored quilted lining not unlike this but the color was more uniform overall. Not sure how the ball got rolling on making this type of lining available but so glad to know it will soon be an option!!

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Beautiful!! Once this goes live then please provide info on how to request this lining when ordering my Aero LHB. I had sent images to Holly showing the lining of my 1950's half belt with a brick colored quilted lining not unlike this but the color was more uniform overall. Not sure how the ball got rolling on making this type of lining available but so glad to know it will soon be an option!!
This lining is available now, either for new orders or even an update to an existing order in the production queue. You can drop Holly an email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace