Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero 1930's HB Cordovan FQHH and Alpaca

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Hi Guy's just wanted to post some pic's of my new Aero 1930's HB. Holly at Aero did a great job helping me on it. It's Cordovan FQHH with brown alpaca lining, vintage Talon repo zipper and OD contrast stitching.

I really want to thank Holly and Denny at Aero, after a few days of having the the jacket the zipper pin fell off. They took care paying the DHL both ways and I had the jacket repaired in about week.

I wanted to add for those that have asked about the alpaca being itchy, yes and no. I love it, and it is warmer than my Aero's with wool tartans. If your just wearing a t-shirt like in the pics it felt itchy but the more times I wore it the softer and less itchy it became. It's very soft and thick, if you find all wool itchy it's not for you, if you don't have an issue with most wool you'll be fine is my guess.

I'm working on loosing another 10# which will help make the jacket a little less snug, real incentive to keep loosing weight. LOL

IMG_1987-3.JPG IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
So glad you posted pics of your new HB in Cordovan - good fit - since the jacket is new born it is sure to look better with wear. I am hankering for a Long Half Belt in Cordovan CXL steerhide and seeing a similar HB (even in FQHH) gives me an idea of how the color would look. It appears almost black in your images but I do see a hint of red - I guess it depends on the light it is photographed in. I like the subtle color. Please post future pics as the jacket seasons up a bit.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Nice jacket, it's basically the exact same jacket I've been looking for on the classifieds and eBay for a while now. Does this model typically wear longer than the Highwayman? It's tough to tell from the pictures, the front looks a hair longer, the back about the same.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket, it's basically the exact same jacket I've been looking for on the classifieds and eBay for a while now. Does this model typically wear longer than the Highwayman? It's tough to tell from the pictures, the front looks a hair longer, the back about the same.
Cuchulain, the 1930's HB is a drop front jacket so the front is actually longer than the back. Others can chime in but I believe correct length for vintage style jackets was on the shorter side due to the higher waisted pants of the era.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
So glad you posted pics of your new HB in Cordovan - good fit - since the jacket is new born it is sure to look better with wear. I am hankering for a Long Half Belt in Cordovan CXL steerhide and seeing a similar HB (even in FQHH) gives me an idea of how the color would look. It appears almost black in your images but I do see a hint of red - I guess it depends on the light it is photographed in. I like the subtle color. Please post future pics as the jacket seasons up a bit.
Here's a picture comparing black, brown and the cordovan. Your right about the color it changes drastically depending on lighting, it really only looks black in pictures though. Real life it looks like the picture below, deep red tones.
IMG_2338.jpg

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Good eye! It's def steeper than my 50's HB. I like it and that's a detail I hadn't noticed before.
Yep the 30's pocket is steeper than the 50's HB. I just wish I had made it bigger like on my bootlegger, I hate to say it but it's the most useless pocket because it so small you can't put anything in there and if you do, good luck getting it out without tearing up your hands on the zipper.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Cuchulain, the 1930's HB is a drop front jacket so the front is actually longer than the back. Others can chime in but I believe correct length for vintage style jackets was on the shorter side due to the higher waisted pants of the era.

I thought they made them waist length for sitting? Sitting in a long leather jacket, especially a thick horsehide one can be very uncomfortable. Same rationale why motorcycle jackets are waist length, you can't sit on a bike if the jacket is long, it will ride up and push into your throat. Once leather became so thin and flimsy longer lengths were more practical. But regardless of where men wore their pants, our hips and basic physiology was the same.

Yep the 30's pocket is steeper than the 50's HB. I just wish I had made it bigger like on my bootlegger, I hate to say it but it's the most useless pocket because it so small you can't put anything in there and if you do, good luck getting it out without tearing up your hands on the zipper.

I think that small breast pocket was designed for change and toll's, not really keeping large objects in. The motorcycle jackets which took their design queues from these earlier jackets from these eras' utilized that pocket for change while riding to be able to grab and pay tolls easily without digging into your pants.

Or maybe I'm just repeating incorrect information I heard over the years via scuttlebutt lol :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The 1930's HB that you have is IMO one of the nicest that Aero makes. It is the zippered version of the Maxwell and Mulligan, all designed on that basic pattern. All have a couple of inches of front drop, unlike the HWM, 1950's HB, and Pioneer that also have a fuller fit in the torso.. You did well here.

I was all but convinced my next jacket had to be a Maxwell. I see this and I'm swaying again. I LOVE this jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Rally nice iteration of this style,and the Corodvan looks great. In my experience - I bought a Bootlegger in 2010 in this hide - it will wear in very nicely; breaks in a lot like the Brown FQHH does, with lighter spots here and there and some darkening. Patinas really nicely. A carpet beetle has taken a couple of bites out of mine (fortunately not into a hole) and I need to see to repairing that so I can wear it when it gets warm enough again...

Yes, I'm looking to a new 30s HB myself within the next year or two- hopefully the Premier pattern as I love that collar shape. One thing I plan to ask for is a bigger chest pocket, to see if the can put the same one as on the Bootlegger on there. I like the look of the small pocket on my Dustbowl, but I definitely find it doesn't get used for much. THe pocket on the Bootlegger is great for fitting stuff in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff