Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero has arrived!

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
Burnsie said:
Second that - I got my russet Real Deal A-2 from Mark and it was smooth and easy sailing every step of the way...slightly off subject, anyone know why Mark no longer sells Aero's A-2's in the USA anymore? He's still offering every Aero style BUT the A-2...just wonderin'

Yes, too many people complaining over every nuance in terms of Aero manufacturing A-2's correctly...He just rather not deal with all the bull...Now anyone who wants an A-2 has to buy from Aero--Scotland.

Mark is a great, stand-up-guy...I have bought four Aero jackets from him, one recently off of Ebay, his Aero store--he had a size 42, brand new, long half-belt in HH Brown with brown alpaca wool--it's excellent!!!

"JAMES MILLER," I have a HAPPY DAYS in seal HH with red silk lining--I'll try to post pics of it, but I can tell you that you made an excellent choice to go with this!!!

Burnsie

PENSACOLA said:
Yes, too many people complaining over every nuance in terms of Aero manufacturing A-2's correctly...He just rather not deal with all the bull...Now anyone who wants an A-2 has to buy from Aero--Scotland.

Wow, that's hard to believe - I couldn't be happier with my Aero A-2 and after 1 1/2 years of hard wear it looks absolutely jaw dropping! If I won the lottery I wouldn't hesitate to buy more jackets from Mark, he was great to work with. Thanks for the update!

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
Yes, Mark is really a good guy--he bends over backwards to make your order come out perfect...

I really like the quality of Aero jackets over the others, but that's just subjective....

CBI

One Too Many
Yes, the A-2 folks drove him nuts. I have to say that I really miss my Real Deal A-2. Of all the repro A-2's, its the one that looked the best. Lots of anti-Aero A-2 stuff on the forums but in many respects, they are the top choice in my view. Before someone out there says it, "yes, I did own a Goodwear and I like the Aero more, Ok, quit bothering us."

The Aero's that have a few year's of wear look just amazing. Can't wait to someday reorder a Real Deal A-2 in my correct size (with alittle more wiggle room than my last purchase) and with all of the correct details. Also, the Real Deal A-2 is still the best buy for the money.

Edward

Bartender
CBI, have you by any chance compared a Real Deal to Aero's oil pull FQHH models? I was saving towards an Aero A2 when I got a deal I couldn't turn down on an AN6552... Still hoping to buy two A2s in future - rust knits, one seal and one russet. Interested in the Real Deal option as a saving of GBP60 (USD120 or so) per jacket is certainly not to be sniffed at (over two jackets, that would be the price of a couple of Federations.... so effectively, "free" hats.... that's what I'd tell myself, anyhow. :p ).

bobjones

A-List Customer
Mark Moye, Will and Amanda are ridiculously friendly and helpful.

I once emailed Mark on a Sunday at an off-hour and he was home sick even, and he STILL quickly responded to my question. I think he might sleep with his Blackberry.

Will and Amanda, for those buying in the EU, are super people whom I consistently tortured with many, many detailed questions and they were always promptly, completely answered. If you can find a nicer bunch of people to work with, tell me...

CBI

One Too Many
Edward - no I have not, only seen photos. The FQHH looks great and is certainly a finer grade of HH. Based on photos from collectors, FQHH ages really well (I am breaking my rule of commenting on photos, I usually never comment unless I have seen something in the flesh!!) The FQHH is more expensive. The Real Deal Jerky HH is considered a "lesser" grade by modern standards but more in line with many orginals. In WWII they used ever inch of leather they had. Actaully, I might buy 2 Real Deals.

Oh, if you get a Real Deal, ask for rounded pocket bottoms. The standard square ones don't look as nice (in my view) and they are too large. The red knits you a considering look OK but I would opt for brown (berry).

Just my 2 cents. Go Aero!

Burnsie

Square pockets, red knits

I actually went with the squared off pocket and the "Beacon rust" knits - they really stand out and scream "AERO" in my view...Anyone with a copy of Suit Up! will know what I'm talking about if I say pages 208-209 made a huge impression on me - once I saw that I wanted a jacket just like that! All subjective, but I love the odd details that set Aero apart.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
When I bought my Aero A2 (thank you Mark), I thought the rust knits looked way too red in the pictures. I knew I wanted seal brown, I've always disliked russet. I called Mark and told him what I wanted. He suggested sending me some knit and leather samples just to let me see them in person. Of course I agreed, and was surprised by two things. One, in person the rust knits look awesome, pics don't do them justice. Combined with the seal brown leather and it was the look I was going for. The second surprise for me was how much the russet leather color appealed to me. I still went with the seal brown, but I can now see why someone might prefer russet, it looks very nice in person. But don't shy away from those rust knits just from the pics, I was converted.

Edward

Bartender
CBI said:
Edward - no I have not, only seen photos. The FQHH looks great and is certainly a finer grade of HH. Based on photos from collectors, FQHH ages really well (I am breaking my rule of commenting on photos, I usually never comment unless I have seen something in the flesh!!) The FQHH is more expensive. The Real Deal Jerky HH is considered a "lesser" grade by modern standards but more in line with many orginals. In WWII they used ever inch of leather they had. Actaully, I might buy 2 Real Deals.

Oh, if you get a Real Deal, ask for rounded pocket bottoms. The standard square ones don't look as nice (in my view) and they are too large. The red knits you a considering look OK but I would opt for brown (berry).

Just my 2 cents. Go Aero!

Thanks, I'll remember that re the pockets. The rust knits, I don't know what it is but I love the look of those (I gather they were a feature on the original Aero jackets from the wartime supplier that used that name back when). :)

CBI

One Too Many
The original Aero Leather company made athletic jackets (baseball, etc.) so the red/rust knits were "added" by them to make the A-2's look particularly sharp. Yes, most (but not all) Aero contracts had the squared pocket bottoms however without getting it the whole this detail vs. that detail, the current Aero Real Deal's pockets are noticeably too big compared to originals. I have never seen a real Aero with pockets that large (or any A-2 except REALLY small sizes where the pocket remained standard but the rest of the jacket was smaller so the proportion of jacket to pocket makes the pockets looks large). Even the one in Suit Up, those pockets are smaller they Aero's current offering. I have owned two Aero Real Deals, both Seal, the first with the red knits which I did not care for BUT lots of folks do like that look. Don't get me wrong, I love the jacket and would encourage anyone to go for it. Future orders for me will be with the different pockets which takes care of my "issues" as well as a size wiht a little more wiggle room. The Aero is my fav contract.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
TOO Pensacola

Please show the pictures I can't wait to see it. This is my second Aero from Mark. If you look at the my first post you can see the pictures of the one I got for Christmas "07" It is FQHH and I love it! This is why I'm getting another one. I can wait to get this new jacket because then I can start thinking about the next one I'll get. Heck I'm going to get rid of all my vintage jackets and and start with a Aero collection. All the vintage jackets run a little small.

I'm going to post a few vintage Leather bomber jackets for sale ( not WWII A-2's) just bomber motorcycle jackets like the one I have on order. Some of the jackets I restored and they are really nice but a little tight. I like restoring the old jackets but it hard to find them in a 48 or larger. So If you know any one who likes old restored horsehide jackets keep me in mind.

Burnsie

Thanks alot guys! I'm now buying a second jacket from Mark since this thread reminded me how cool he was to deal with and how comparably great AERO prices are for jackets as good as theirs...oh yeah, I really wanted another Aero anyway! I'm going for a 1756 A-2 this time (he WILL sell A-2's to repeat satisfied customers!)

1911 Man said:
When I bought my Aero A2 (thank you Mark), I thought the rust knits looked way too red in the pictures. I knew I wanted seal brown, I've always disliked russet. I called Mark and told him what I wanted. He suggested sending me some knit and leather samples just to let me see them in person. Of course I agreed, and was surprised by two things. One, in person the rust knits look awesome, pics don't do them justice. Combined with the seal brown leather and it was the look I was going for. The second surprise for me was how much the russet leather color appealed to me. I still went with the seal brown, but I can now see why someone might prefer russet, it looks very nice in person. But don't shy away from those rust knits just from the pics, I was converted.

I think this photo may capture more closely the color of Aero's rust knit......

100_0428.jpg

HD

Burnsie

Russet Real Deal

Just ordered a 2nd Aero from Mark - in the meantime here's a couple pics of my "Real Deal" A-2:

OClub.jpg

A2.jpg

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
Nice one, "Burnsie,"

how'd you get your collar to lay flat like that?

let me know if you want to do some trading--I have an exceptional Goodwear Horsehide A-2, size 44...I never use it.

Burnsie

PENSACOLA said:
how'd you get your collar to lay flat like that?

I just wore it unbuttoned from day 1 - nothing special, no hot water etc.

Got nothing to trade, I wish I did! I'll most likely be getting rid of a US Authentic goatskin when my next Aero comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo