Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Highwayman, fit advice needed...

Peacoat

Bartender
The first thing that struck me was the excess material at the bottom of the jacket. Then I noticed the excess material at the back of the jacket. I would text the photos to Aero and let them sort it out. I would concentrate on getting a good fit with the jacket zipped. If it fits when zipped, it will fit when unzipped, but not necessarily the other way around. The fit is much more forgiving with an unzipped jacket than with one that is zipped.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Which Langlitz did you order? A Langlitz, a Thedi and an Aero cafe Racer are on my wish list.
Last year I allowed myself 3 aero's. I ordered the last one begin November. A week later my good old Volvo decided it was time to retire = new car for me = no new jackets for the coming 3 years.

I went with a Timberline in med weight black cowhide with black stitching and medium fit (allowing for a t-shirt and sweatshirt) with padded shoulders and elbows, straight zipper, cossack collar, two chest pockets, a bicep pocket an interior wallet pocket, and straight yoke.

Bennie advised that the wait time is about 3 months, so this puts the due date out somewhere around mid-July. Now I just need to forget about it.

It'll be very similar to this, except for brass hardware and straight yoke.

F0A2AFD2-EE70-45EB-9A52-7A42FE32288E_zpss3fg4mvp.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does this process not apply to those outside the US? Their website has costs associated for International orders.

The cost to receive a Thurston Bros. fit jacket is $30.00 for US Customers, $60.00 for Canadian Customers and $75.00 for all other International Customers.

I've lost count of the fit jackets they have sent to me in Australia, sure it might cost a little more in postage fees but its a lot cheaper than selling a jacket because it doesn't fit properly!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Shouldn't you explore a lighter leather for such a warm and humid place as Indonesia? Even here in Melbourne I can't wear those 3oz hides for more than about 2 weeks in any year.

JanW

New in Town
@ProteinNerd - I am already in contact with Aero. Holly (who has been very patient) said that she'll confer with her colleagues re. the fit in the pictures on Monday. I just thought it would be good to get some additional opinions as well.

@Seb Lucas - Nope, not only because I'm obsessed with ridiculously overbuilt things (I wear 24oz jeans in this climate), but also as I travel a lot and will be needing the jacket for some colder climates. In any case, the HQHH isn't at all uncomfortable here as I specified the cotton twill lining, but that's just me.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think it is a size too big for the circumference of the torso and shoulder width, but sleeve and neck hole should stay the same.
I do live in the same country and do see our climate is "ok" for a year long leather jacket season :D

zebedee

One Too Many
Hong Kong has about 10 weeks when I can wear a leather jacket comfortably- so far, I've never had one rot in the humidity at other times of the year (presumably because of the packed oils).

JanW

New in Town
And I received my replacement jacket from Aero (size 40, with adjusted sleeve and length). I would like to thank Aero for very graciously providing the remake.

I would like to ask the good folks here as to the fit:

20170728_182958.jpg
20170728_183005.jpg
20170728_183010.jpg
20170728_183013.jpg
20170728_183028.jpg
20170728_183033.jpg
20170728_183148.jpg
20170728_183204.jpg

Offhand, there seems to be a difference in the leather between the original and the remake. The remake seems to be slightly thinner and much more grainy, while the original seems more smooth (you can see in the initial pics). I realize that there will be differences between leather batches though. Color seems to be the same, despite the differences in the pics.

Also, the tag says "Genuine Horsehide" instead of "Genuine Front Quarter Horsehide" as per the original jacket. I am a bit concerned, as I specified FQHH in the order and it might be a different leather, but I think this is still FQHH and the tag is merely a production error though, so I didn't raise it with Aero. (does it look like FQHH to you?)

Another minor quibble is the slight rise at the front, but it still conceals most of my belt and is much less than the last time, and would be attributed to my beer belly. (you can't have everything)

In any case, very happy with the new jacket. Any thoughts on the fit?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Fit looks good to me - still a bit of space for a sweater in cooler weather, as it should be. Have you pulled in the side belts the full way? As the jacket breaks in, it will also soften up and the drape will only improve.

Mark

Practically Family
Looks a much better fit than the original. Is it the Premier? Seems a lot less shiny than the first jacket. Still a very nice jacket and a keeper for sure.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Have to say I prefer the look of the leather of the second jacket, it certainly looks different to the first.

Looks a winner to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails