Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Kradjacke, First Look

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
John Lever and I have been badgering Ken to complete the re-working of Aero's Radjacke design, based on a 20s German motorcycle jacket gifted to Ken by Mr Lever himself. Well, proof that pester power does work:D, Ken emailed me some pics of the new design from his studio up north. It's based on the slim fit premier pattern and, unlike the previous one, uses only lighter hides - in this case battered steer - to iron out the problems of the original version. Also, like the original, there's now a double row of buttons, and the pocket flaps can be tucked in, a la the Mulligan.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
That is very nice indeed. Is Ken going to do one with the elbow/shoulder padding? Definitely looks better than the first repop. Mix of the softer hide being better here, and the restoration of the second row of buttons. I'm still feeling the idea of the black for this one...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I think when I get around to it - and bank account willing - I'll go for black goat. I always liked the original version, but this one's got a really nice silhouette. I don't think the padding's going to make it to the final version though.

Edward

Bartender
I do like the padding, though it looks great without too. Interesting the button variation - 5 a side on the front instead of seven, and not buttoning the pocket flaps. Probably easier to live with day to day, those changes.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I like the tuck in pockets... it's one of those jackets that I don't think I can pull off, but really love the design, especially the curved feature on the back that continues onto the arms. Really smart look.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The curve has a sort of deco feel, doesn't it? I think reducing the buttons removes a little of the fussiness - It's a short jacket, so if you went for the original full complement, cuffs included, that would be 20 buttons! Suspect their button hole machine would have a melt down if it had to do too many of those. ;)

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
The curve has a sort of deco feel, doesn't it? I think reducing the buttons removes a little of the fussiness - It's a short jacket, so if you went for the original full complement, cuffs included, that would be 20 buttons! Suspect their button hole machine would have a melt down if it had to do too many of those. ;)

Yes! Like this...

Chrysler-Building1.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The thing that really gets me with a lot of these designs and the workmanship, and this has been mentioned on the Lounge before, is that apart from the label, if I were to come across a second hand one in a store someplace I'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't an original jacket from the era. (Although if it was only slightly broken in that might give it away!). I think that speaks volumes as to just how special these items are to us enthusiasts of vintage style.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's certainly a work of art but I couldn't get away with wearing it. I'm too conservative. I does kind of remind me of a classy chauffeur's or bell hop's jacket.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
Looks too Prussian for my tastes. A duelling scar from corner of lip to earlobe and waxed moustache may pull off the look. I prefer this style of early German motorcycle jacket. This one tarted up like Luftwaffe with shoulder pads and massive oversized Ri Ri pocket zippers. This I believe is early 30's horsehide. Would Aero make a copy of something like this? image.jpg

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^ Jodphurs (sp), riding boots, pencil thin moustache just long enough for twirling. And of course you MUST have a monacle (sp) and riding crop for slashing unruly servants and peasants!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. In all honesty I LOVE this style jacket BUT at my size I'd look ridiculous! Something like a refugee from "The Village People"!

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
John Lever and I have been badgering Ken to complete the re-working of Aero's Radjacke design, based on a 20s German motorcycle jacket gifted to Ken by Mr Lever himself. Well, proof that pester power does work:D, Ken emailed me some pics of the new design from his studio up north. It's based on the slim fit premier pattern and, unlike the previous one, uses only lighter hides - in this case battered steer - to iron out the problems of the original version. Also, like the original, there's now a double row of buttons, and the pocket flaps can be tucked in, a la the Mulligan.

Yep, that's pretty German looking.
I'm gonna go listen to Kraftwerk...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff