Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Features - Report from Aero Leather Trade Week - By Craig Brown

wdw

One Too Many
I agree Fanch. It's very difficult to choose between some hides based on the Aero site information alone. Words as well as pictures would be helpful.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Even samples are not always helpful either since there can be a significant degree of variation in thickness and color from one batch of hides to the next.

pauleway

Practically Family
OMG- that is exactly what I want (tho would love an angled chest pocket). Congrats on an amazing piece!

I'm wondering if you can get small modifications (like a angled zippered chest pocket) on these jackets. I like the Wool/Leather Type II, but would like a chest pocket added, but I'm not sure they will do that kind of mod!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I'm wondering if you can get small modifications (like a angled zippered chest pocket) on these jackets. I like the Wool/Leather Type II, but would like a chest pocket added, but I'm not sure they will do that kind of mod!

I'm hoping so... Have an open order that I placed pre release now I'm confused as h e double hockey sticks!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, I can tell you that anyone getting a brown FQHH jacket made just now is in for a treat, it's really lovely stuff, and the battered brown has loads of character and variation, I loved it - the pics really don't do it justice.

Jonst

New in Town
Thanks for the confirmation Fanch.

I already have samples of the black and brown vintage but somehow they don't look as attractive as the leather of the pictured Original Hercules. The graining and texture in pictures looks fantastic.

Edward

Bartender
Great report... I have my eye on four of the new models. At the risk of sounding greedy, I would love to see a Bootlegger in wool and hh. Russet and burgundy would be grand... or the Waterfront wool and black...

Thanks for the confirmation Fanch.

I already have samples of the black and brown vintage but somehow they don't look as attractive as the leather of the pictured Original Hercules. The graining and texture in pictures looks fantastic.

My first thought when I saw the photo of the Original Hercules on the Aero web site was it was made from the Jerky Seal HH they use on their A2's.
Looks too dark and too textured for their Brown FQHH or "Vintage" FQHH.

Charlie

Familiar Face
Hello

As I'm considering ordering soon an aeromarine just as the picture bellow, and I suspect your are about the same size and weight as I am.

I promess that it will be me last jacket (preparing my defense against wife)

Could you give me the size of the jacket you tried and your exact size and weight, in order to draw comparisons between how the jacket fit and my own mesurments ?

Thanks a lot !

Fedora Lounge Features - Report from Aero Leather Trade Week
By Craig Brown

attachment.php

Of all the new designs, the Aeromarine has attracted the most attention online so far: up until now the model has been pretty much the preserve of Japanese jacket makers, putting it out of the price range of many western buyers. Aero’s version is striking with its shawl collar and proto-A-1 styling. Close fitting with high armholes and low-slung waist adjusters that give it a straight-up-and-down feel, it’s based on a 1920s jacket that has sat in the factory archive for some 15 years. Early plans for this style to include a zip have been shelved for now, but might be revived in future.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Charlie

I bought one of the pre-production Aeromarines. This one was finished off by Ken Calder.

I've upped the pics, but here it is again. This is a size 40. The pit-to-pit is 23", and the length, from the bottom edge of the collar to the bottom of the jacket is 24".

I am 5' 9/10" and have a 42/43" chest. I went for this size because I wanted a close fitting jacket. Some folks prefer them looser, so obviously, you could go bigger if you wished.

Hope that helps.

marinefit2.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Craig is the back on the Sunset actual reverse pleats that would open a bit with movement or just made up of seams?

The back's just seams, Benny. The Dustbowl has reverse pleats, the two-tone's have a nice detail as they use the darker hide inside the pleat.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Hi Charlie, I'm afraid that's Denny modelling a 38 Aeromarine, so Holly may be help you there. The pics with I'm wearing the brown Dustbowl, the Speedway and the Irvin. I'm a size 36 and a little bit shorter than him: for reference I'm 5ft 9in, 10st and a 30in waist.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
On the first page of this thread, you showed pictures (images 5 and 6) of an Aeromarine with battered brown horsehide. Maybe Holly will see this post (now numbering well over 200) and comment. I feel almost overwhelmed with the amount of data and information on this particular thread.

Yep... I'm a full week behind mails after the trade week and feels like a week behind whats been said here after the weekend off! So sorry for a delay in replies to PMs and mails about the new designs.

Battered is a separate leather, as Craig said. Tumbled/vintage is basically the same leather.... we're only stocking tumbled now, it's very slightly different to the old vintage, it's a bit less aged, but stunning leather. My favourite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner