Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Long Half Belt

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I live in Glasgow, and my job requires me to occasionally stand around for hours in the cold - it's the wind chill factor that's a killer - so the collar won't go amiss. I'm hoping the addition of moleskin to the pockets will help too.
I made the initial mistake of thinking that the mouton collar was a permanent feature, but I saw a LHB at the factory that Will was preparing to add a detachable one to, and the other collars that I've seen on Fedora Lounge, have persuaded me to go for it now rather than later (the LHB belonged to somebody from Japan, so it must have been quite an urgent request!).
The one thing I think that will be different from Seawolf's is that I've gone for a little bit longer at the bottom, so it covers my ass rather than sit mid-way. My legs are longer in proportion to the rest of me, I'm a 30" waist, but have 32" legs, so it shouldn't make me look 'top heavy' - the sleeves will be set long, but should shorten in time.
It's all a bit like plastic surgery really, you have to look at it and think "how is this going turn out in a year or two?" and plan for that.

Oh, and you can never make them too big.

trapp

Practically Family
Hey Seawolf,

Would you mind posting the tagged size and actual measurements (esp. the length down the back) of your LHB? I like this jacket.

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Sloan- Glad you like it. Mine is an inch longer that the standard LHB. I'm 6'1", so it might look short, but I'm pretty tall. My waist is 33" and my inseam is 33" as well.

Joel- Not at all. The slim sleeves actually help a lot with mobility. Because the arm holes are smaller, I can move my arms quite freely.

trapp- Tagged size is 38. Sleeve length is 26" and the back is 29".

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sloan- Glad you like it. Mine is an inch longer that the standard LHB. I'm 6'1", so it might look short, but I'm pretty tall. My waist is 33" and my inseam is 33" as well.

Joel- Not at all. The slim sleeves actually help a lot with mobility. Because the arm holes are smaller, I can move my arms quite freely.

trapp- Tagged size is 38. Sleeve length is 26" and the back is 29".

Strangely, the guy whose jacket I tried on must have been some 6ft something - from Japan, mind - and the side-straps were barely three inches from the bottom and sat squarely on my hips. Will said that the guy wore it 'short'. As regards your slim sleeves, I had to seek Holly's reassurance that I'll be able to wear a jumper under the jacket. Are you able to do that with yours?

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Strangely, the guy whose jacket I tried on must have been some 6ft something - from Japan, mind - and the side-straps were barely three inches from the bottom and sat squarely on my hips. Will said that the guy wore it 'short'. As regards your slim sleeves, I had to seek Holly's reassurance that I'll be able to wear a jumper under the jacket. Are you able to do that with yours?

I tried on a heavy jumper, but it was tight. A thin one will be just fine though. With the wind protection from the leather, a wool jumper, and maybe a cotton undershirt, and whatever lining you choose for the jacket, you'll be all set for some pretty cold temps.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Excellent, that's what Holly said, no fisherman sweaters, but I don't have many of those any way. Be sure to post some pix in a few months, so we can see how the cordovan is ageing - mad as it is, I'm considering a radjacke in that colour as my second one. My bank manager hates me btw.

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
The jacket really looks great on you. For future reference, you might wish to add an additional 1" to the sleeves when you order your next jacket, which is what I plan to do with my next highwayman.

I'm not really an expert on leather jackets, but I have to say the sleeves look exactly right to me. Do they have a tendency to ride up or something?

Seawolf

Familiar Face
I'm not really an expert on leather jackets, but I have to say the sleeves look exactly right to me. Do they have a tendency to ride up or something?

Most leather jacket sleeves will shorten a little when the creases begin to form. This is why you should get sleeves slightly longer than you need when the jacket is new, as they will shorten slightly and end up just right. So, it's not that they ride up, it's just that leather jacket customers have become increasingly aware of sleeve length, almost to a fault. Also, motorcycle jackets need much longer sleeves, so that the rider's extended arms are covered. I think this has made folks hyper aware of "short" sleeves. My sleeves are perfect for me. I think they look right, and I think they feel right.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised there isn't a permanent thread on the subject of sleeve length - your's look absolutely fine btw, Seawolf, though I prefer mine longer (it's a comfort/warmth thing). When I was being measured, the sleeves were set half-an-inch longer than you'd expect, just brushing my knuckles, but was told that they'd wrinkle into place within months -Will said that if after a year I was still unhappy with the length, I should bring the jacket back to be shortened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff