Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premier Highwayman arrived

rmconner80

Familiar Face
Had this a few days so here's some impressions and photos. Thanks to Thurston Bros - they were great to work with and I can't recommend the fit jacket process enough. At first we were working up an order for a premier halfbelt but I decided to hold off when I heard the Highwayman was coming out in the premier cut. Definitely glad I did. I found that I tend to like the cinch straps lower like this jacket, and not like the halfbelt, although the 30s halfbelt is certainly a killer jacket.

Overall very pleased with the jacket. The Horween leather is awesome (Chromexcel). I specified brown but darkest they had - it's superb. It's very flexible and I daresay even lightweight (compared to my Lost Worlds 4+ oz). I can't see how anyone could complain about heaviness or stiffness of this stuff!

As far as the jacket, I wanted one very close fitting with the intention of wearing it over a t shirt or button down, and that's what I got. Very trim. Sleeves are narrow and armholes high. I'm sure some would prefer a longer jacket but I like it short. I could use a bit more shoulder width but I'm not messing with it, as in my experience it would likely bulk up the back which is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Regardless, the few Aeros I've tried are definitely more in line with the fit I want than others that are a bit fuller/ boxier. Only complaint is the collar which is somehow a bit cheesy.

In any case, the photos on Aero's site of this jacket don't do it enough justice, it's really excellent in person.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice .. interesting new side adjusters ... great fit, another Thurston Success methinks

Wear it well man !

Mark

Practically Family
Looks good , love the dark brown, length looks fine to me not short at all. I have the regular HWM also in the darkest brown, can't say I can see that yours is any slimmer fitting than my supposedly boxier fit.
Not keen on the 70's collar though.
Enjoy.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's really nice. Trim to be sure but looks the business. I'd work the collar a bit as well to fold it out a bit and make it sit better.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Looks way better than a "sized down" highwayman in my opinion. Can I ask what size jacket it is compared to your suit jacket size? Do you have any other Aeros to compare the fit to?

53Effie

A-List Customer
Really nice jacket! The fit looks great as does the leather and the color. I think it's a keeper. Enjoy!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I like it, including the fit, and have no problem with the collar at all. :thumb:

pawineguy

One Too Many
It's a terrific looking jacket and agree with everyone who've noted that the collar will soften and look more "casual" and fit in perfectly with the rest of the jacket. You've got a winner there, I think the length and rest of the fit is spot on.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The fit looks spot on for the way you intend to wear the jacket over a shirt.The length looks good also. I would be interested how the premier HWM is cut differently than a sized down standard HWM.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It looks like moleskin lining. Correct? Also looks like a hookless zipper. If so, how do you compare to a "regular" zipper? I do like the rivets at the bottom that seem to be a more durable connection.

rmconner80

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the positive comments. I really just wanted to post some photos / reviews of the jacket since it's a new take on the highwayman and there have been few if any sightings 'in the wild' :)

I think the collar is fine, suits the jacket. It's just different from the more substantial collars I am used to.

Looks way better than a "sized down" highwayman in my opinion. Can I ask what size jacket it is compared to your suit jacket size? Do you have any other Aeros to compare the fit to?

Same size as my suit size, although most of my suits have too short of sleeves. The test fit jacket was the 30s halfbelt. I tried on a size up and it would have worked but it was a bit roomier than I wanted. That said, the 'premier' fit seems a bit slimmer cut than that one, so it may not be a direct apples to apples comparison.

Is the front longer than the back? How much is the drop?
Thanks....
Great jacket!

Not sure - if you can tell me how to measure this, I'd be happy to try to help!

It looks like moleskin lining. Correct? Also looks like a hookless zipper. If so, how do you compare to a "regular" zipper? I do like the rivets at the bottom that seem to be a more durable connection.

I'm digging the rivets too. My LW 1930s Test has those, they're a nice feature. The pull on the zipper says "Hookless" but I haven't noticed anything particular about it. It does feel solid.

The lining was the black cotton. I was considering all kinds of tweeds but the test fit jacket Thurston Bros sent me had this lining, and for some reason I just really liked the simplicity of it.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Very nice jacket (and you're young enough to get a lifetime of wear out of it). I only have one bit of advice: "Don't be hasty with French pastry." I wish I had a quarter for every jacket that a guy getting a little older could no longer zip up. Although the flip side of that is when it starts to get tight, you'll be motivated to have it fit perfectly like before. I have jacket that currently has the perfect tight fit (complimentary, like a Roman breastplate). It started out looser, but I grew into it. Now if it's hard to zip up, I know exactly what I have to do. Again, wear it in the best of health.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
That's great looking highwayman, the trimmer pattern has definitely tamed the original boxy look. The collar will look much better once it's soaked and modded, I love mine, it just looks vintage.

Never thought I'd hear anyone describing Horween's heavy horse as lightweight, I guess it all depends on previous leather experiences :) Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy