Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Premier Highwayman arrived

Well then, either Viv pioneered the so called boyfriend-leather-jacket look or she got it from someone else. My money's on the latter. lol

Excellent info, Edward! I wasn't aware that the bikers the 70's moved away from British motorcycle manufacturers. Thanks for sharing. Though, regarding Sid's jacket, this is entering territories of the infamous Strabler's jacket. :D Schott claims Brando wore their jacket, despite the fact that they've never produced a model that combined all the details seen on jacket in the film. It could've been Durable, it is a very close match, though I doubt we'll ever know for sure. Either way, whatever jacket Sid is buried in, it's not (t)his Dominator. Probably the Perfecto sort - which also wasn't made by Schott, by the way, despite what they claim - he wore during the US tour. Didn't he also wear one of the LL Perfecto-styled jacket at some point?

I recall a blurb next to the image I've attached above, it said something about Sid acquiring this jacket from a woman that was living with him in his apartment, before the Pistols were formed, though no names were mentioned. I guess that supports the LL theory, but again, I doubt this was Viv's jacket. lol Even the Wehrmacht regalia, it would make sense in the 50's, but I think the meaning of it would have been lost on Sid and most of the 70's Pvnks. And it would be somewhat harder to come by, I imagine? Thought perhaps not. What you said, Swastikas were a common sight on some of these guys, but Wehrmacht insignia... I've never any of that Wehrmacht stuff myself, at least.

This is all great stuff for the Rocker's thread! :D I've posted an image of Sid's jacket there.

article-2597257-0003996300000C1D-632_634x441.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Well, you have to remember that for most respectable citizens of 40 and upwards in 1977, WW2 (and its attendant propaganda) was a very real memory, and there was none of the academic disntctions we make today between Wehrmacht and Nazis.... They were all Nazis, all evil, and that was the end of it. The Swastika would have had the direct personal connection in the same way to pvnks like Sid, however, it was nonetheless still considered as totemicof evil by the 'establishment' generation of that day, and still had the power to shock - and peen' off yer parents and/or The Man was part of it. The Nazi regalia with pvnk rock was also a way of making a comment on that very establishment - "to us you're no different than them". not the most spohisticated of statements (and some key pvnk figures thought it misguided, not least Joe Strummer), but there you are.

The one that looks eighties to me is the red recangle with round ends and the Stahlhelm bearing the 'SS' runes. That's not something I think would have been around in the 70s so much, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I doubt that youn lady was the jacket's first owner.... most pvnks wore Camden market or Kensington market 'specials' of dubious hide quality, or some of the better but still cheaper brands like Mascot. At least until the money came in, Lewis were out of their reach.... and the only guy who ever made any real money out of the Pistols, the story goes - at least back in the day - was Richard Branson....

lol @ Branson, Edward. True, sadly. Still goes on, I'm afraid. Also, agreed 100% re. everything else you've said, swastika or iron cross, there wasn't much distinction between the two, not for a long while, at least... You're right about the SS pin, I was already wondering about that one as it's definitely newer! Night of the Living Dead was made in the late 60's, I think? Well either way, best we continue pursuing the matter in the other thread, as there appear to be some discontent due to the course this thread has taken.

HD, that is true but that's only because P|_|nk's not dead! XD

I'd still like to know the length of the Premier HWM collar, though!

Aye, I agree. I also wish this was posted in the Rockers thread, as Edward has shared some excellent insights into the scene here. Well, at least British Rockers days is something I'm always interested in.

rmconner80

Familiar Face
rmconner80, or Superfluous, could you please tell me what is the collar point length on the Premier range jackets?

Edward, heh, missed your comment but aye, Sid did wear his Dominator rather well, even though the jacket may have been a size or two too large on him. :)

I'd be happy to help... but can you explain what I need to measure? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic