Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Biltmore Milan weave fedora

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's not the best picture, so I'll try to take some more, along with a video (so you can see how pliable it is) tomorrow.

Like I said, it smells like freshly cut hay! Very nice smell.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Milan

I got one from Optimo, and it is beautiful. I do find that I prefer the Montecristi, as those are lighter on my head. The Milan I have from Optimo is blocked in a "plantation" type of block like golfers wear (don't golf). It is a really nice honey colored straw. The material is braided from old vintage stuff, and sewn together. I was told that this was a limited run of vintage stuff. WHo knows. I have since had the band changed. It was silver, but Art put on a rich copper colored ribbon which really sings the beauty of the hat! That was a poetic picture, no?

Of course, some may say I got raped and since it's from Optimo, it's likely recycled rags bleached and hacked together for too much money!

Canadave

One Too Many
Zohar said:
That's not the best picture, so I'll try to take some more, along with a video (so you can see how pliable it is) tomorrow...

Oh man, another Zohar Productions video...I can't wait! :)

If anyone new hasn't seen his previous production, check it out here!

Let's see it, Nathan!

David

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I hope you were kidding.

Andykev wrote.

Of course, some may say I got raped and since it's from Optimo, it's likely recycled rags bleached and hacked together for too much money!

Kevin, i think its a great hat!! Only POS has opinions like that.

Most of us l know think he is just jealous since he can't hold a candle to Graham a real Master Hatter.

In my opinion what you paid is no one business but yours. If you are happy with it thats what important. I love all my Optimo hats, one of the best hat co's out there.

Please post some pictures so the guys can see a real Milan straw hat and Art's handy work!!

http://www.dilectite.com.au/optimohats/ Real Milan straw

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
This includes Milan

More info

Ninety-nine percent (99%) of the straw hats we manufacture are actually handwoven using a man made fiber. The fiber is a twisted paper product that is coated with a plastic resin. The completed fiber is called "yarn." If the yarn is made in Japan, it is called Shantung. If it is made in China, it is generally referred to as "Toyo." Either way, the resin coated paper yarn is delivered to the weaving areas in Mainland China, where it is handwoven into the bodies we use to make the straw hats you find in your local store.

The other 1% of the handwoven straw hats we make are made of natural Toquillo straw fiber woven in the Monticristi and Cuenca regions of Ecuador. These are referred to as "Panama" hats.

Contrary to what you may see in the marketplace, there is no such thing as a "Shantung Panama." Our hats are handwoven in China using either Shantung or Toyo yarn (manmade) or handwoven in Ecuador using Toquillo straw (natural fiber).

The only real Milan Straw in the USA or Canada is sold by Optimo Hat Co.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Leghorn Straw Optimo

Actually my Optimo is "LEGHORN" milan straw. Graham said it is really rare stuff and it was a special run by the original factory who made it up just for this run.
Let me find a picture of it....and I shall edit this and add a pic.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Milan Biltmore

I was courious about the "Milan Straw" Biltmore that I own so I sent out a short inquiry to Biltmore.

Thank you for your interest in Biltmore Hats. Our Milan Straw Hats, are made from hemp straw, imported from Japan.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 10:20 AM
To: Debbie Spadafore
Subject: FW: Milan straw

FORWARDED from info@

please respond to original sender's email address
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 3:17 PM
To: info@biltmorehats.com
Subject: Milan straw

I have a Biltmore Milan Straw. I would like to know if it is real straw or made from paper or plastic.

Thank you..

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I called Biltmore before they filed bankruptcy.

and the lady told me it was made from a rice paper product from China. I also spoke to severall Biltmore hat sellers and they all said the same thing paper not straw.

Mike The Hatter are very Honest people.There toll fee # is 1-800-926-5567.

http://www.mikethehatter.com/Img/biltmore338.jpg

I have this fedora in natural color they sell it but you have to ask for the color. They told me in a joking way if this hat ever saw straw a mouse must have ran across it carrng some!! ;)

I will say its a good hat you can wear if its starts to rain because its got a ton of lacquer sprayed on it. The hat is as stiff as a board.

Sharpey :)

Canadave

One Too Many
Maybe they have changed the source of their straw since bankruptcy. New ownership, perhaps.

I have a Milan Biltmore "homburg" in gray. I discussed it in an earlier thread, and people objected to the term "Homburg" for it, but that's what they called it.

Here is the thread, but the pics have been lost. It's the one in the top right-hand corner here -

front.JPG

David

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Here's mine. It's an Optimo. All I can tell you is that it's made from a natural fiber. The Biltmores that I've examined didn't feel like they are made from a natural fiber (even if perhaps they are). The modern Milan Biltmores were better than the modern Milan Dobbs, which felt like a Chinese torture device. Cheers

P1010006-vi.jpg

P1010007-vi.jpg

P1010021-vi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot