• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

New Blade Runner Movie NOT a remake!

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Rats Riley, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

We're not talking about first runs today, no one would make such a film.

This is a sequel to a film well known already, which is of course watched "for the first time" by many people who either weren't around in 1982 or whatever, but who, notwithstanding that "the future" didn't pan out that way, enjoy the film.

And these days with all the "alternate universe" stories, it would fly quite easily in my view.

2. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Pull a first run Star Wars and re-release the original film first, as an "intro".

My wife was around in the 70s but saw the first three SW films in that 1997 re-release frenzy before the episode 1 release.

3. Let's just hope they don't rerelease a completely ruined version, a la Lucas..

4. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Which version of Blade Runner is considered now the proper one? I know sans voiceover is best, but which cut?

5. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

In the german tone, the first cut with the voice-over-commentaries is still very nice, to me. Especially, when it comes to the perfect melancholic essence of the film!! :)

I already saw the final cut, but not completely, because I don't wanted to. :(

Sorry, friends, I'm just one of these romantic/melancholic men with principles. The first cut, which presents a movie the first time on cinema, is just the first and original cut, to me. All, what comes after, can't be important, to me.

And it was the just f...... luck of history, that Scott recreated the Nostromo's legendary look on Los Angeles of 2019. :)

I mean, how can a movie be such a great love-movie, neo noir-movie, SciFi-movie, utopic movie and brutal, ruhtless action-movie, all together? Luck of history.

And the movie got still the best sentence of cinema-history, for me:

"Ich hab Musik geträumt...." / "I dreamed music...."

6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

For me: "Wake up! Time to die..."

7. "The Final Cut" is the only one over which Scott had artistic control. I'm guessing that'd be the "proper" one, in most circles.

8. I"ve been monitoring this possible Blade Runner project for years and saw last year that Harrison Ford had signed on, but Scott wouldn't direct (Denis Villeneuve will) but produce.
    Google 'Harrison Ford Blade Runner 2' and you'll get lots of hits with info on casting. Ford's signed as supposedly is Ryan Gosling and Robin Wright.
    Here's a relatively new tidbit: http://www.calgaryherald.com/entert...ckenzie+davis+joins+blade/11970719/story.html

For us Blade Runner fanatics, any chance to revisit that haunting, fantastic future noir world is exciting. Obviously, if HF is cast, he won't take up where he left off almost 35 years ago.

If this thing ever actually hits the screen, I'll have to fill up my replica Blade Runner Johnny Walker Black bottle and have a belt for Deckard and Capt. Bryant.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  9. I thought of Blade Runner a couple of months ago when I looked up and saw a blimp circling Cincinnati with a huge TV screen on the side, pitching dish TV or somesuch. "Begin a new life in the Offworld colonies..."

10. It's a worthy project. Be prepared for a MAJOR investment on the better, screen-accurate clothing and props. The shoes will be very hard to find: early '80's Adidas referee shoes.http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=43425&highlight=Blade+Runner
    You can get a lot of info over on the replica prop forum.
    e. g. http://www.therpf.com/search.php?searchid=859029

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  11. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

12. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

13. Trenchfriend

DAMN! Me idiot watched the new official trailer. Why I've done this? I know better, yet. :mad:

But, to be fair:
    Could Blade Runner 2049 be even a historical point/moment of cinema?? Harrison Ford 1.0 (old world) passing the baton to Harrison Ford 2.0 (new world, Gosling)? Hmmm, maybe... o_O

14. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Call Me a Cab

I guess I'm "cautiously optimistic" on this one. I suspect it will be just another sci-fi film this time around, though. I hope the bad guy doesn't turn out to be the usual super-genius who controls all technology and uses it to give himself near-god-like powers, etc etc, but the trailer sort of suggests this.

15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I never liked Star Wars, not in 1977, not now. But Blade Runner I did and do like. I'll see this. I'll probably be disappointed but it will be the first time I'll enter a cinema in almost ten years. I like the original studio version of Blade Runner. I mostly appreciate the voice over and I prefer the ending. The more dystopic director's cut is nice to have but I don't consider it a huge improvement.

16. Blade Runner is a film that I remember being disappointed in the first time I saw it. I would have been around twelve, I think, and still into Star Wars, and it just wasn't what I expected. Twenty odd years later, with enough adult experience to get the reference points, however, and I now view it as by far the superior of the two. Had a similar experience with Rebel Without va Cause, fwiw.

17. Trenchfriend

In Germany, nearly all fans of Blade Runner 1 think, that the new production just can't recreate the original atmosphere.

But maybe, the original soundtrack could be topped. If things will be good, the bad blockbuster-thing could be compensate by a good mixture of sound and style.

18. Trenchfriend

But, who could top the "Tannhauser-monologue"? :D

19. Trenchfriend

robrinay likes this.
  20. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Call Me a Cab

I prefer the darker ending of the Director's Cut, where Deckard and Rachel flee his apartment, which keeps the tension of the rest of the movie, but I really dislike the added unicorn dream sequence. I don't think it advances anything to make Deckard a replicant, or at least imply strongly he is (which is what the unicorn sequence does). I can't articulate exactly why I think Deckard should be human, but it's got to do with the contrasts and similarities between humans and replicants in the film, and of course the last scene where Roy "dies" (shuts down). If Deckard is a replicant, then he can't have the emotionally jarring experience of realizing that Roy, though he's not human, shares human dreams and desires, etc.

Trenchfriend likes this.