• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

New Blade Runner Movie NOT a remake!

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Rats Riley, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Call Me a Cab

HOLY SPOILERS BATMAN!

It's looking great visually, but on the other hand, the more material that gets released the more it appears this new film will be based on one of those "this could change everything" plotlines, with some single key thing determining the fate of history and whether humanity will be ruled by one megalomaniac or will rise up to grasp its freedom... etc etc. I liked how the original film didn't have anything like that; it was just a boring humdrum story about a big corporation slowly improving its products but wasn't interested in ruling humanity, only making profit, and whose products sometimes went haywire and had to be hunted down and shut down by the police, represented by a tired, alcoholic, retired cop pulled in by the police chief who probably didn't want to risk any of his regular cops on a shitty, dangerous job like hunting down homicidal replicants.

Feraud and Trenchfriend like this.
  2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Too much of the Gosling-thing in the new, just to get much much girls into cinema. :D

3. Exactly!!

4. Doctor Damage

Re-posting that from the main movie thread. Thanks for that review. Has anyone else seen this film? I'd like to see it in the cinema but it's 2 hours 44 minutes in length and I can't go that long without a "break" these days, ha ha

5. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

I'm looking forward to seeing this, but yeah, over two and a half hours without a toilet break? Sheesh, Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia had much needed breaks.
    How long will the directors cut be?!?

I'm not holding out any great hopes though. The well imagined world of the original played on 80's anxieties of Japanese economic and cultural dominance which didn't come to pass. It's 'a future that never happened', not a future we're still waiting to happen.
    It's kind of like Thunderbirds vision of the future; very much of its time.
    Bladerunner still had public pay phones! How anachronistic does that seem now? Why didn't Deckert have an iPhone?
    TBH, after the Prometheus/Covenant debacles, I'm kind of bored with directors throwing out very shallow takes on god/creation/identity ideas. I'm all 'intelligent design'ed out!
    Does Gary Numan have a cameo?

6. Just back from it, overall I enjoyed it. Some very nice call backs to the original in some scenes (the square whisky glass in particular) including a near Priss clone. Pacing I felt a little slow in points , the music was good without totally apeing the Vangellis sound track. Sound wise I found the audioscape to be exceptional, crisp, clear sound effects, Crystal clear dialogue, never did I struggle to hear anything
    All over a good sequel. Is it as good as the original? Imo no, is it a good film yes.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Trenchfriend likes this.
  7. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

Just back from seeing this tonight.
    Deeply disappointed.
    Never has a movie with such a long run time had so little story to tell. Slow? It's GLACIAL!
    Yes, the fake Vangelis soundtrack is well done.
    Yes, the cityscapes are spectacular as they were in the original.
    But the unnoticed army of unregistered rebel replicants waiting for (well, for what exactly? Film couldn't be bothered to tell us).
    The pathalogical god-like CEO who needs billions of replicants for (again, the film doesn't bother to explain- 2D villain at its 'finest'), all points to the movie being a set up for a TV franchise.
    Don't bother on my account.
    Clumsy 'god' and creation themes trotted out again, not even subtle.
    Westworld covered all this ground, was visually stunning, thought provoking, suspenseful, and highly entertaining.
    Bladerunner is a sad pompous cash in on the original. Oooh! Cityscapes! Oooh! Fake Vangelis! Again, again, again...
    Oh yeah, I forgot, with such a long runtime and so little story, how come I have to start by reading a screenful of exposition? How come I bought a ticket, but they included stuff that was related to the three 'prequel' short movies that were released on the internet which I didn't see?
    Badly made film then too.

8. Doctor Damage

^
    Thanks guys.

BigJ, I'm with you on the "god" stuff and the 2D oligarch bad guy. I could see those elements in the trailers and it made me wary. As for a television series, that's been done: check out Total Recall 2070 series from 1999, which had little to do with Total Recall and a lot to do with Blade Runner; in fact, I think of it as Blade Runner The Series, since that's what it really is once you ignore the token references to the Total Recall film. And it actually explored really thoughtfully the issues around robots, a.i., etc.

Big J likes this.
  9. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

@Doctor Damage, I think if I'm honest, I have to blame myself for allowing my expectations to be grow so high for this movie. The original was so visionary and groundbreaking, becoming a cultural and cinematic cult milestone that I felt sure a sequel wouldn't be done if it couldn't live up to expectations.
    But unfortunately I think the director expended all of his effort on background visuals and sets, and the storyline was just an afterthought. The 'world' he created was the most beautiful dystopia I've ever seen, and from looking at the peripheries I could see many things that I thought must have had an interesting story in them, but he didn't tell it, and instead I have to watch Gosling expressionless for the better part of three hours playing off 2D secondary characters. Sad.
    Conversely, my wife and I just got back from Atomic Blonde tonight which is set in Berlin in the 80's, and we both agreed that it felt much more 'connected' to the original Bladerunner due to its fetishized 80's nostalgia than Bladerunner 20whatever did last night. And now I'm wondering if that isn't the main point? Maybe the 'magic' of the original Bladerunner isn't in its vision of the future, but in the way it says so much about the 80's? Maybe.

10. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I loved that, we're definitely getting it on disk!