Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Bonnie and Clyde mini series on the History Channel

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed the show also.
But the real story had so much to it. That I cant understand why a film cannot be made that is based only on fact????

I have read the handwritten police report made by Mr. Hamer
with regards to the ambush & death of Bonnie & Clyde.
It is so different then what has been shown in the movies.
The closest to actual facts would be the home-made film footage
that was taken of the outlaws in the death car by one of the lawmen.

33ljif5.png

Last edited:
With Christmas and travel, I finally got a chance to watch this from my DVR. What a mess. The only really good thing to come out of the movie was the video "Bang Bang" by Nico Vega.

In that, the group gave the song a energized rock beat, while the clips hinted at tension, personal intrigue, character development, organic, plot-driven action sequences and a compelling story arc.

The movie had none of those things. The story was muddled; the dialogue, cliched; the action sequences, forced (long and boring); and the character development, two dimensional. How did this happen? William Hurt and Holy Hunter - two fine actors - were wasted. The reporter role - P.J. Lane or something - was excruciatingly embarrassing (like the reporter plopped into the movie "Seabiscuit" years ago). If you need such an obvious machination to advance your story, then you chose the wrong career as a screenwriter.

How can the quality of writing and directing for this "event" (it was advertised for weeks, had the aforementioned video created for it and its ads were plastered all over buses and subways in NYC - and was broadcast on three channels at once) have been so dramatically below the quality of writing and directing for almost any episode of "Boardwalk Empire" or "Homeland" or "Hell on Wheels?" Those shows develop story lines, created complex characters, use action to advance the plot, build gripping narratives week in and week out, yet for this four-hour, highly promoted special, all they could produce was a shoot-em-up version of a Hallmark Channel production.

I wanted to enjoy it, but found myself happy for the commercials so that I could fast forward and not waste more time watching it. I even felt bad for Holiday Grainger when she screamed out "Don't mess with Bonnie and Clyde," as she seemed to be desperately trying her best to rescue a really bad line of dialogue. Even though - as many have pointed out - not period accurate, I did enjoy some of the clothing. Unfortunately, that and the video were the only things of any value in this mess.

gear-guy

Practically Family
I also didn't care for it, but then again most of anything on TV isn't very well done. Fact of fiction it's all about making money so I am sure that enough people tuned in and made a nice profit. Just think that if you did a movie based on fact you couldn't find an actor to play the role because they would be to pretty. I might decide to become a criminal if I would look that good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner