Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Computer! Yippy!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have finally made the purchase of a new computer. What a real blessing! My old one was so slow, you could take a nap waiting for a page to simply load. Now maybe when I go to post a picture, it will not lock up while in photobucket!

Now I am wondering if I should use a wireless connection, like wifi or no? Any opinions?

Thanks,
Cindy

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Cindy, if you use wifi, make sure you lock it down. It is easy enough to do, and it prevents certain intrusions that would be unwelcome. I have always enjoyed getting a new computer. I have not had many. I usually grab an old one from a flea market and clean it up and when I am finished with it find some kid who has none and give it away to them.

Edward

Bartender
Yip. My ISP-provided wifi box came already set up encrypted. I think that's the norm now, but always best to check. It really is tremendously convenient to be able to hook up online anywhere in the house. Should you have or come into possession of other wifi-enabled devices, like a kindle, tablet, or smartphone, it allows them to be easily connected too. A further thought.... if you have houseguests whom you can trust, it lets them hook their technology up as well, which is nice as niether party needs to feel their privacy compromised as can happen when a home computer is 'shared'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24