Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW ELC CABLE A2

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned two of these jackets in the past, a size 40 made from horse and a size 40 made from goat, but with a purple tone in the finish, which is not authentic. However the new batch of goatskin which Gary is using for his latest Cables is the correct colour, thickness and texture-remarkably similar to the goat on my original Doniger. So I took the plunge at Duxford yesterday! This one is a size 42 and is a very comfortable fit. I have replaced the repro Talon zip slider with an original one. Original Cable A2s had variations even within the same contract, such as some had ring snaps and others had ball snaps and different zips were used including the rarely seen Kwik zipper. This one has ball snaps. The label is pretty close to originals, but as the 42-10008 contract was predominantly goatskin I'm not quite sure why ELC didn't copy this label rather than the W535ac23382 contract, which was usually made using horse hide. However, I am very pleased with this jacket which I shall enjoy breaking in this summer.

040-3.jpg

041-2.jpg

024-13.jpg

036-3.jpg

037-2.jpg

035-4.jpg

034-5.jpg

033-7.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Andrew,

About a month ago, I got one as well: size 40.

Yes, I think ELC has improved their Cable Raincoat a lot since a couple of years ago.

I have to say the goatskin is even better than my GW Bronco's (too flimsy & reeks chemical odour), and it's got no reddish tone like the previous batch of ELC's Cable Raincoats (or Aero's russet goatskin for that matter).

Mine got wet and I think it shrinks a little but then grains have come out more...

Have fun breaking it in...I know I am...

Blethook

monarch

New in Town
I had a cable special made (46 long) a few weeks ago and I think it is terrific. I tried to get hands on a GW, but though John Chapman seems to be a real nice guy, he never managed to send me the samples he promised me. It seems that he is verry busy for the moment, reaching its capacity.
Color and texture of the ELC goat is terrific, it immediately became my favourite jacket.
The only thing I was wondering about: There are some marks in the jacket where the leather got damaged, it is dyed a little darker and has a rougher texture. I have seen such marks on close inspection on photos of GW goat skin jackets and I think I have seen them on your photo, too. Do your goat skin jackets have that too? Where does it come from? Is there anything one should do about this, e.g. special care or else?

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Looks like a great jacket Andrew. Unfortunately I could not make it to Duxford at the weekend due to family stuff going on but well done on your purchase.

I still have not had an opportunity to properly wear my original A-2 but hope to get along to Beltring next week where it will get a good outing weather permitting.

Enjoy your jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24