Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Fedora + Light Rain = Bumps - What to do?

ryang

New in Town
Hi all, I am fairly new to fedoras (have had an Akubra Fed IV for around 1 year and a Penman for a little less) and I just bought my first "hat shop" hat in Tulsa on Saturday at "The Brothers Hat Shop" (great place, lots of feds, and great guys there - "Red" helped me find the right hat). It is a brown Stetson Hampton. Beautiful hat. Of course I wanted to wear it to church on Sunday but it was raining. I have worn my other feds in the rain several times in the past and have had no problems so I really thought nothing of it. Well I noticed later when I touched the crown that there are now bumps all over it from the rain. Here's a pic...

IMG_1539-1.jpg

The pic really doesn't show them that well. I've tried brushing them out but that doesn't seem to help. Do you all have any suggestions for me? I have thought of wetting the whole thing but was not sure if that was the right course of action.

Help me fedora gurus, you're my only hope!

Artie

Suspended
Have you tried brushing it with a hat brush. I believe it's counterclockwise as you look down at the hat. It sounds like the moisture raised the knapp on the felt. A good brushing should take care of it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The bumps are the nests of dangerous Oklahoma Felt Spiders, they lay their eggs via raindrops on hats, and then 6 weeks later, those bumps will explode and seven million golf ball sized spiders will emerge.

Sorry I can't actually help, I wish you luck in solving this mystery.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I'm not sure what the actual "bumps" may signify (although I would tend to agree with Artie), but let me just note that Stetsons are somewhat notorious for coping badly with the rain. At least, some models are. I'm sure a few Stetson owners can clarify that.

ryang

New in Town
I have tried brushing it - with both my more gentle horse hair brush and a stiffer one. And yes it has fully dried - I wondered if it was still wet too, but it's not. The bumps are like small blisters. I've experienced nothing like this with my other Feds. :(

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
have you tried using distilled water on the spots or steam while brushing lightly?

perhaps the fur fibers are clotted together and need some moisture to loosen up...just an idea based on thinking, no experience on this one.

but why not give it a shot

good luck

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I like the idea of giving it a little bit of steam and light brushing. Personally, I'd probably take it or send it to a professional for a cleaning, then treat it with Scout hat protector to offer some waterproofing so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

RBH

Bartender
Artie said:
Well ain't that a pip. Ya, spray the whole thing with distilled water so at the least it will even out.
That is what I do to my Akubras after I wear them a little while.
Notice I said Akubra, I do not own a modern Stetson.
I do plan to get one soon. :D
Seems to even out the color and I have no problem after.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
ryang,

Brace yourself because I'm going to be brutally honest.

1. The reason your hat is having problems from mere rain is because it is a Stetson. Ninety-five percent of modern-day Stetsons are mediocre at best, and even the 5% that are good compare unfavorably to its glory years. They don't make 'em like they used to.

2. The reason you bought a Stetson is because Red convinced you. A "great guy" salesman who knows the mark-up on Stetson's is substantial and so more profitable, he did HIMSELF the favor, not you.

3. Do nothing to the hat before immediately returning it to The Brothers for a cash refund. Try hard to get the cash refund, but you may have to take an exchange, and DO NOT accept their monkeying with that Stetson to "fix" it. In any case, this time, get a good hat, like an Akubra, which I doubt they carry, or maybe a top-of the-line Biltmore ($150-$200) or even upper-end Borsalino ($300+) if you can afford it.

4a. Whatever you do, after this second trip, never darken the door of The Brothers Hat Shop again. I know it's tempting to buy local and hyuck it up with the hat guys there, but unless you do business with one of perenially reputable retailers whose name will become familiar after you hang out here for a while, you're far better off buying your hats online from places like David Morgan, Hats Direct, Everything Australian, The Fedora Store, Bencraft Hats, and for customs/bespokes, Art Fawcett's Vintage Silhouettes in Butte Falls, OR or Gus Miller's Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinatti, OH.

4b. The hat selection and customer service at these places is outstanding, and via E-mail or phone, they will provide genuine and informed advice to help you find a quality hat with which you will be delighted. These places virtually always beat local retail prices, too, even after shipping and handling. Therefore, you will go back to them time and again for future hats.

As for The Brothers, keep in mind the old adage: Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me.

ryang

New in Town
OUCH! I guess I'll try calling the hat shop. I live a ways away from Tulsa and can't just drop by easily. I wasn't "talked into" this hat, I thought Stetson was a good brand. I'm afraid I might be stuck with it. We'll see. If I can't get a refund I guess I'll try steaming it. I really don't want a fed that I can't wear in the rain.

Thanks everyone for your help. Please let me know if you have any more input.

Ryan

SteveAS

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
1. The reason your hat is having problems from mere rain is because it is a Stetson. Ninety-five percent of modern-day Stetsons are mediocre at best, and even the 5% that are good compare unfavorably to its glory years.

I wonder if this is unrealistically negative. I have two modern Stetsons: a "sovereign" quality Whippet and a 100% percent beaver quality Benchley. I've had both in the rain (the Whippet several times and drenched once) and both seem to have been totally unaffected.

The original poster's hat has a velvety finish, which is not common in the Stetson lineup. Putting my experience together with his makes me wonder if it's the minority, rather than the majority, of modern Stetsons that don't hold up to rain?

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
AlterEgo said:
ryang,

Brace yourself because I'm going to be brutally honest.

1. The reason your hat is having problems from mere rain is because it is a Stetson. Ninety-five percent of modern-day Stetsons are mediocre at best, and even the 5% that are good compare unfavorably to its glory years. They don't make 'em like they used to.

2. The reason you bought a Stetson is because Red convinced you. A "great guy" salesman who knows the mark-up on Stetson's is substantial and so more profitable, he did HIMSELF the favor, not you.

3. Do nothing to the hat before immediately returning it to The Brothers for a cash refund. Try hard to get the cash refund, but you may have to take an exchange, and DO NOT accept their monkeying with that Stetson to "fix" it. In any case, this time, get a good hat, like an Akubra, which I doubt they carry, or maybe a top-of the-line Biltmore ($150-$200) or even upper-end Borsalino ($300+) if you can afford it.

4a. Whatever you do, after this second trip, never darken the door of The Brothers Hat Shop again. I know it's tempting to buy local and hyuck it up with the hat guys there, but unless you do business with one of perenially reputable retailers whose name will become familiar after you hang out here for a while, you're far better off buying your hats online from places like David Morgan, Hats Direct, Everything Australian, The Fedora Store, Bencraft Hats, and for customs/bespokes, Art Fawcett's Vintage Silhouettes in Butte Falls, OR or Gus Miller's Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincinatti, OH.

4b. The hat selection and customer service at these places is outstanding, and via E-mail or phone, they will provide genuine and informed advice to help you find a quality hat with which you will be delighted. These places virtually always beat local retail prices, too, even after shipping and handling. Therefore, you will go back to them time and again for future hats.

As for The Brothers, keep in mind the old adage: Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me.

+1. I haven't had experience with this particular shop, but a good hat will not bump from light rain. Return it.

ryang

New in Town
Well, I contacted Red and he wants me to bring in or send him the Stetson. He says it should not have done what it did so he'll send it back to the company for a replacement. I guess I'll see if maybe my hat was a fluke.:eek: I really like the way it looks, so hopefully the next one will stand up to some water. If not then I guess I'll really press for my money back.

SteveAS - I'm glad your Stetson's have worked well for you. Thanks for sharing your experience. We'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone, you were quite helpful.:eusa_clap

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred