Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New" fuzzy Borsalino

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'm not doing a very good job with the detail photos, but here are a few shots of the Borso that arrived today. It is a Grand Prix and has a few markings and a size tag I've not seen before. It has the name "Diamante" in quotations on the front of the sweatban the last quote is subscript not superscript. On the side oposite the name is is stamped "Baskin" and it has a size tag that has an open hand with "Eulan Bayer" and then a 7 under that.

Brim is 1 7/8" and the crown in nearly 4 3/4". It's not quite as snug as most US size 7 hats but fits. I was happy to find that the felt has a bit more sheen than the seller's photos showed and looks like the hat was rarely if ever used. All in all I am quite happy with it.

There are also two (out of three?) tags inside the band. One reads "T8C175X 610" also shows it is a size 7 and gives an original price of $30. Just inside the liner is the second tag reading " 4125 62091" with a dfficult second line that looks like "DESININ c. lava" also stamped 7...

Wow that took a lot of space. I need to learn to use this digital camera. I still use my old film SLRs with transparencies.

Anybody have any thought on age, origin, etc. I would love to decipher the info found in old Borsos and develop a bit of history for my hats...

390789150_eab989c131_m.jpg

390789148_90f32f24a9_m.jpg

390789137_bd5b1d18ce_m.jpg

390789152_7d8e2a4d19_m.jpg

By the way, does anyone know the proper name descriptions for various finished on hats? I have seen similar but not entirely the same finish described as "silk" finish or "cashmere" finish. I tried a search bu did not have much luck finding the topic...

vonwotan

Practically Family
Thanks. It has taken me many trips to various hat shops and many purchases to really figure out what I like and the hats that suit my features and build. I used to think high crowns didn't work, but the brim size is far more important for me.

For suits, jackets, trousers and hats I realize that I prefer subtle textures over strong patterns or colors, usw.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Yes. The sweatbank also shows "Baskin" possibly a store name? And, in the front of the sweat "Diamante", which appears to be the syle? Lots of tags and other info in the hat, but I have yet to find a source to help identify the various numbers or markings found in Borsos.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I just tried a Google search and the first listing was a seller with hat boxes from a shop called Baskin. According to their description "Baskin was a fine mens and women's clothing store on State Street in Chicago. Early 1900's through the 60's".

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Though it has been discussed a lot, the numbers don't seem to mean much on these hats.
Okay, so it was sold in the US. hm...
Borsalinos are so interesting.

North Valley

New in Town
Finishes

Hello,
There are many different type of finishes on felt hats.
Silk, Angora, Velour, Suede, beaver, grizzly, etc.
Any "Master Hatter" should be able to do all of these finishes on any hat.
The finish on this hat is coomonly known as a an Angora or Grizzly finish.

I used to know a man in New York that was an actual hat historian. I wish he was still alive today. He could tell you all the info on that hat from where it was produced to the age.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with that.
Sincerely
Rodney

vonwotan

Practically Family
Thank you very much for the information. I find it all quite fascinating. I am going to write to Borsalino and see what they might have to say. I do hope they add some history and other information on their we site when it is up and running. It would be really great to see a link to the museum!

Are the finishes added as part of the process when making the felt? Or, is it something that can be done with felt after the fact? I have one or two hats I find quite boring and wonder sometimes if they can be spiced up a bit.

Perhaps I just need to clean a few out of the closet and save for custom lids...

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
same hat

I just purchased and received a "Diamante" Borsalino on the bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130220058074

i'd like some info as well. Under the word "Diamante" is written out long hand "twenty five" The pictures on the link don't do it justice, after rebashing and cleaning it looks great. (the ribbon creases came out with a little water!)
I wish i could learn a little history on this hat as well. I guess I'll just have to make up a story about my "Fuzzy" hat. can anyone give me a decade it was made at least? it says it was imported by "George I. Eakle, Philadelphia"

mineral

One of the Regulars
MississippiLong said:
i'd like some info as well. Under the word "Diamante" is written out long hand "twenty five" The pictures on the link don't do it justice, after rebashing and cleaning it looks great. (the ribbon creases came out with a little water!)
I wish i could learn a little history on this hat as well. I guess I'll just have to make up a story about my "Fuzzy" hat. can anyone give me a decade it was made at least? it says it was imported by "George I. Eakle, Philadelphia"

Your hat is (probably) from the 1960's, and the "Twenty-Five" (from my understanding) means that it literally cost $25 back in the day.

This is an old ebay auction for the Diamante hat ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-Borsalino-...Z3885QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

You can infer the rest about your hat from there on. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86