Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Golden Bear Bayshore Horsehide Jacket

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

On Cultizm. For US customers, no VAT and 1st time customers get an extra 10% off. Price for them is around $1200. Horween veg-tanned horsehide. Great family-run jacket maker with a storied history. I like the jacket and qualify for the $1200 price, but the collar is not double leather: the underside is wool. I worry the collar will lose shape over time. Anyway, curious what you all think. The center vent is cool, too.

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p4064_Golden-Bear-Bayshore-Jacket-Horsehide-Black.html

I don't think there would be a huge problem with wool backing. Old Hercules jackets had collars backed in Corduroy. For the $1600 price on the site, I think you could find a more "interesting" jacket.

D

Deleted member 16736

I don't think there would be a huge problem with wool backing. Old Hercules jackets had collars backed in Corduroy. For the $1600 price on the site, I think you could find a more "interesting" jacket.

For $1600, I agree. For $1200, it's as expensive as an Aero and probably just as good if not better (I prefer veg-tanned leather).

What is the purpose of a cloth backing on the collar?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Smart jacket, but at that price ($1600) why not get a Ventura from John Chapman?

EDIT: at $1200, Id still opt for something else. Eg a Diamond Dave or Bill Kelso. Not to knock Goldn Bear- a great American brand- but still feels steep to me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Smart jacket, but at that price ($1600) why not get a Ventura from John Chapman?

EDIT: at $1200, Id still opt for something else. Eg a Diamond Dave or Bill Kelso. Not to knock Goldn Bear- a great American brand- but still feels steep to me

Because I can get it in a week.

Two layers of leather tend to make the collar overly bulky, particularly with thicker leathers. Had this jacket a throat latch, I would say the wool is there for contrast when turning up the collar, but it doesn't so I can't see it staying up when turned back.

I wouldn't worry about the collar losing shape; it's quite unlikely. I wouldn't put it through a ashing machine, though, or lie in a bath, or any of the other crazy schemes you see suggested on forums. The wool probably won't like that, and will shrink and cause strange shape changes.

What is the purpose of a cloth backing on the collar?

D

Deleted member 16736

Baron, I was thinking a similar thing: that the wool backing was there to warm your neck when flipped up.

IXL

One Too Many
Golden Bear used to be kind of popular with some law enforcement agencies. I never had one but I remember a few guys who did and they seemed to hold up well to the abuse they suffered.

D

Deleted member 16736

The only configuration I've found that actually does that is a fur collar on the outside. In all other configs, you just end up with cold leather against the skin, which is not pleasant. Leather jackets are an awful option, on the whole, for cold weather wear.

Then there's no reason for it other than cosmetic. I like everything about the jacket except the collar.

Here's another interesting jacket, a sort of all-wool varsity in Harris Tweed:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p4063_Golden-Bear-Masonic-Jacket-Tweed-Tan.html

pauleway

Practically Family
On Cultizm. For US customers, no VAT and 1st time customers get an extra 10% off. Price for them is around $1200. Horween veg-tanned horsehide. Great family-run jacket maker with a storied history. I like the jacket and qualify for the $1200 price, but the collar is not double leather: the underside is wool. I worry the collar will lose shape over time. Anyway, curious what you all think. The center vent is cool, too.

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p4064_Golden-Bear-Bayshore-Jacket-Horsehide-Black.html

Hey Major - if you're out there they have a Levi's 1940 style Red wool jacket you liked. Not cheap 500 beans!!

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fair point, I was going on my general experience. I've never got my hands on one of those boxy horrors that Haggis guy tried to force on the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran