Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Goodwear Prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16736

$1549 -- horsehide
$1449 -- goatskin

At least the line'll get shorter.

sal

One of the Regulars
Wow
I think you are right.
I am sure they will always have buyers but at some point you price the majority of folks out contention. I am one of them (priced out that is)

fukigen

Familiar Face
Wow
I think you are right.
I am sure they will always have buyers but at some point you price the majority of folks out contention. I am one of them (priced out that is)

I second that.
I had a GW in target... will be without me... even I am sure the increase is certainly a reflect of leather price increase... (same applies for BK new HH leather models).

Still I think we all agree that GW is the n°1 about quality/accuracy and I would definitely prefer to pay that price for a GW than paying same or more for a Ralph Lauren (ot other fashion brand) non accurate fashion flight jacket!

just too high for me. [huh]

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I would still keep looking at the Goodwear website, from time to time he sells some of his jackets at reduced price if your size is around 46.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Used GW DuBow 7155 size 46 : $1,136.11
Original WWII DuBow 27798 size 50 (minty): $1,110.30

Both sold on the 'Bay in the past 30 days.

Go figure!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
All he's doing is keeping standards. And narrowing his market, and inviting competition.

Repros could be copied closely. It's just that there usually isn't enough incentive to do it. A 40% price hike could be someone else's incentive.

D

Deleted member 16736

If I were to charge that much, I'd broaden out my selection because he has a very narrow market to begin with. Add some civilian styles. But I've said that to him for a while.

Foster

One of the Regulars
Speaking as one who has made replicas of other items (not jackets), I suspect a similar dynamic may be at play here. I began making replicas out of personal interest and positive customer enthusiasm. Over time, the income from making these replicas didn't offset for the time involved and my personal motivation decreased (how many of one style item can one make before becoming somewhat bored with it?). That combined with increased raw material expenses naturally resulted in price increases. Others entered the same niche market, but seem to have dropped out after a few years. It is different with leather jackets, entirely different clientele, and more competition already. Add in the messy business of the subjectivity of desired fit and appearance, and there becomes a lot of potential headache in making something!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You said a mouthful. If you work with your hands and are good at it, your personal interest won't extend to things like reaching out to new customers who can't afford The Best. That's marketing, and it implies you take no joy in the product or craft.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
You said a mouthful. If you work with your hands and are good at it, your personal interest won't extend to things like reaching out to new customers who can't afford The Best. That's marketing, and it implies you take no joy in the product or craft.

I've encountered the handmade mentality as just the opposite. If you work with your hands and are good at it, that means you love the product or craft more than automated machines or humans cutting and pasting on an assembly line.

With regards to how a one man business prices his goods I think Foster touched on some of the tribulations of the endeavor. The amount of R&D, personal time, money, waxing and waning of customer interest and a host of other roadblocks appears to mostly warrant the high cost of handmade goods.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
All true. Where you will run into trouble is trying to bring those worlds of full bespoke and plain ready-made any closer together than they have been before. You're up against the math and the mindsets of people who really cannot relate, and the mindsets affect the math just as much as vice versa. The cloth is pulled taut and every new wrinkle, however small, is going to rub someone raw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy