Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy With a Few Questions

Uberneot

New in Town
Hi all,

Great site. I've been lurking for a few weeks and gotten some really great info. I just have a few questions for you. First, does anyone know if Dobbs has a physical store in New York City? I can't seem to find a listing for them.

Second, for the more Northern crowd, what do you do on those biting Winter days? I'd hate to go back to wearing cruddy wool caps after wearing nice Fedoras. Do you just deal with frozen ears?

That's all for now folks. Thanks a lot!

Canadave

One Too Many
You could always try these. :) You can have them customized with the Lounge logo!

Actually, I've seen ear muffs where the band goes behind the head, rather than over top, so that would work. If it's REALLY cold, go with the wool cap. Check out this thread...the "wool cap" discussion starts at #5.

David

nicolasb

Familiar Face
You could always wear a scarf over your face (and ears).

Of course that might cause you to end up looking like The Shadow.

shadowmovie.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Uber ,Dobbs does not have their own store anymore .It closed many many years ago . There are two places to buy a Dobbs hat though in NY .
Arnold Hats on 8th ave and 36th st is a great store. A lot to choose from .
Bencraft Hats at 236 Broadway near the famous Peter Lugers steak house has a lot of Dobbs hats as well. They are in Brooklyn .

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I wear a pair of those earmuffs (not fuzzy) that go behind the head, and they work great with my fedoras. When the wind chill is 25 below zero, the combination is most welcome! I also wear a scarf to cover chin and cheeks, if I need it. Can't have too much protection.

Brad

nicolasb

Familiar Face
I actually quite fancy the hat in that Shadow photo, I must admit. :) Don't know where one could find something like that.

Uberneot

New in Town
besdor said:
Uber ,Dobbs does not have their own store anymore .It closed many many years ago . There are two places to buy a Dobbs hat though in NY .
Arnold Hats on 8th ave and 36th st is a great store. A lot to choose from .
Bencraft Hats at 236 Broadway near the famous Peter Lugers steak house has a lot of Dobbs hats as well. They are in Brooklyn .

Thanks for the tips. You made me realize that in my search for hat shops, I've completely neglected Brooklyn, which is disgraceful on my part since I used to live there.

Arnold is a great store, I bought my first hat there about a week ago. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I found this pleasantly surprising as I figure most people my age (21) that go in there just want to play around, try things on, giggle and leave. A man who I assumed was the owner (Mr. Arnold?) saw the B&H Photo bag I was carrying and stopped me to talk about what a great store it is. It was a really pleasant experience. They certainly have my business.

As to the ear-warming situation, I think I'll go with the behind the head ear warmers. My Mother has those Ear-mitts and one of them is perpetually lost. With my luck I'd probably lose one in an hour after buying them.

Thanks all!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Glad I could help you Uber. Arnold's is a great store to go into . I cant believe that there arent more hat stores in NY . With 8 million people ,you would think that there would be 10 stores to shop in ,but no more . they are all gone.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
There are actually a lot of styles in hats and caps that are available with a fold-down earflap. The Tilley Winter Hat is my favorite up here in the cold north.
Tilley-TW2-4.jpg

There's also Kangol's 504 wool:
Kangol-0238BL.jpg

Bailey also does some western hats with the fold-down earflap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran