Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy with question about new hat

artboynyc

New in Town
I'm a new member who has been lurking around the board a few days. I've learned quite a lot from reading past posts. This is a great resource.

Quick question, though: Much as I would like to get a vintage hat, I've got a 7 5/8 head, so it's difficult to find anything. I'm looking on ebay, but I'm wary of spending too much for anything sight unseen.

I live in New York and just found what used to be Worth and Worth hats (www.hatshop.com). No longer in their location on Madison Ave., they now operate out of a suite on a hotel on 55th Street. Their display room has what look to me like some excellent new hats: smooth, dense felt, supple to the touch, nice stitching, etc. They are manufactured by a company in Italy named Cervo.

Does anybody have any experience with these hats?

(Incidentally, I saw the thread about Levine Hat Co. in St. Louis. I grew up in St. Louis, and spent way too much money and time at Levine. They have some excellent hats and a really great staff. My most recent hat from them is their Knox porkpie, which I bought about three years ago and which is still in brand-new shape despite heavy use. (They're an honest bunch, too: they tell you not to waste your money on new Borsalinos.))

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Cervo is historically a great hat name Artboy. During the turmoil at Borsalino they contracted ( and still may) with Cervo to make their felts and hats. Since my expertise is in Vintage hats I can't really speak to the current quality levels, but there are several on the "Lounge" that can and will once they read this.
BTW, stop by my website for Vintage hats if you get a chance.

Art

artboynyc

New in Town
Thanks for the note, Art. I took your advice and checked out your website. Beautiful stuff. I'm tempted by that Borsalino, and even more tempted by the idea of a custom hat. Let's see how rich I'm feeling at the end of the month...

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I just love this photo from their site.
image_special.jpg

What a great image to see all those hats.

Pyr.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Heads and Hats

It used to be this at the end of the Hey Day of hat's in America, with the decline of all the great manufacurers:

SO MANY HATS AND SO FEW HEADS

Now, in the year 2005, with interest in vintage, movies, and the general type of people here on the Lounge and COW (and others), it is now this:

SO MANY HEADS AND SO FEW HATS

It is hard to find QUALITY hats on par with the vintage. It should be no suprise that most things made today are cheaper, disposable, and not as well crafted (ie. furnature, clothing, hats). The old "they don't make 'em like they used to" type of thing.

Maybe that takes in a whole range of subjects from people, rudeness, manners, driving on the highway, government, schools, the customer service at stores offered in this day and age, and the list is endless.

I have my opinion of who makes a good hat. You have already visited his web site. I encourage you to take the smart move and make that quality investment in a hat.

Dylanfan

New in Town
Cervo quality

I own a 7 5/8 Cervo "Milan" I got on e-bay in unused condition. It is a terrific hat. I have never seen felt so lightweight, pliable, yet sturdy. The open crown makes it almost like a lined crushable. It's stamped "Handmade in Italy" and it feels it. I've talked on the phone to the folks at Worth & Worth and they are very nice and know their hats. They only carry Cervo's top of the line, but they also carry Guerra, another very good Italian hat. They even have a video of the Cervo factory. Cigar aficionado had an article http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Show_Article/0,2322,556,00.html which really explains what Cervo does, all the hand processes, they dye hats twice six at a time. They did not change when others did. Borsalino did contract at one time with them, but I am unsure of any current collaboration. All I can say is I love mine, I own vintage hats, but if you want a new one made the old fashioned way (other than custom) I believe they are the best I have seen. Good luck.
Cheers,
Jeff

artboynyc

New in Town
Thanks for all the help, everybody!

I know JJ Hat shop; I work around the corner. They seem to have a lot of good stock, but their featured hat is the Borsalino, which gives me pause. The owner is a great guy, though, and once gave one of my hats a quick steaming for free.

The Cervo seems like a really great new lid. When I go back to Worth and Worth to pick up the hat I left off to get cleaned, I may break down and get one.

Incidentally, despite my initial complaint, I just managed to pick up a vintage Borsalino on eBay in my size. If it needs some work when it comes in, am I right in guessing that that sounds like a job for Art? (Cue dramatic music)

I'll keep you posted.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey There

ObscureRefMan said:
artboy - Have you tried JJ Hat Shop on Fifth Ave? I just picked up a nice Lago Marsino there (I'll post a pic soon). The folks there were very nice & helpful.

I notice you went to JJ HAT CENTER. It's in NYC (I hear that is some big metropolis on opposite coast :p )/

Can you go into more details? I have their catalog and the show room/shop looks wonderful! Any possibility of a return trip with a camera? Give them a card from The Lounge, and it is good business! Sell HATS, YEA!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Steam is free, the talk is cheap, but the sale is everything!!

artboynyc said:
I know JJ Hat shop;...The owner is a great guy, though, and once gave one of my hats a quick steaming for free.

I have a "lesser" shop close to home in Oakland, CA. The Hat Guys
http://www.hatguys.com/retail.cfm .

They also "steam" for free the customer's hat. Gives the salesperson an opportunity to chat, mention new product, and give the appearance of being a professional shop. In essence, excellent customer servie, which translates into excellent sales!

Chief_Izzy

New in Town
Chief_Izzy: New 2 NYC & Hat Spots

If your new to NYC and are looking for store to fedoras, caps and headgear in generalI recommend Bencraft Hats, located at 236 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY, next to the Williamsburg Bridge. All the guys there are great and service is A1. For what you pay for a hat a Worth & Worth or J & J Hats you'll get two or three hats there. They have hats to suit all taste and the brims range from stingy to Pimp to Hassidic. Ask for Stanley and tell him that Izzy recommended them. They are closed Saturday but are opened Sunday thru Friday. If you can't make it there then check them out on the internet.

If this doesn't do it for you then check out Hats Plus Ltd at www.hats-plus.com. If their is something you saw and they don't have send them an email. Ask for Martin and he'll get you the goods.

Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes