Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy

JeffW

Familiar Face
Hello. Just thought I would drop by and introduce myself. I am a new hat wearer or at least I have not wore one in the last 35 years. I recently purcahsed a Stetson Selby and a Scala Fedora. I am happy with both so far, but look towards the future of having a custom hat made out of better material.

I thought that when I started to wear the hats, I would get a lot of teasing from others. I have actually found that I have recieved a lot of good remarks. The only time I feel strange is when I go out to lunch with a buddy that wears a cowboy hat. Ya see we both carry guns. We wears western clothes and I usually have on a white shirt and white tie and black fedora.

Any way just wanted to say hi.

JeffW

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome Jeff, nothin better that a hat wearin, gun totin fellow Texan. I spent my youth in a small town named Hamilton, about 100 miles from you I think. It's been since 1958 so the memory might be a little off.

Stick around a while, I think you'll like it here.

HTTK

New in Town
Welcome to the board Jeff. I'm a newbie too, but a long time lurker. Hope you enjoy your stay with us here. :cool2:

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
Texas rules!
Got that right!!

Jeff, I was born and raised in San Antonio (went to Alamo Heights HS) and even though I don't live there anymore, I still consider it "home". I visit there often as two of my music conventions are there every year and the band takes a trip down there every now and then. Plus, my mother still lives there. I'm a huge Spurs fan and I try to make it down for one Fiesta event (though this year may a be a little hard to do), and go to the Folklife Festival. It is a great town, some day I hope to live there again. It's good to see another Texan here.

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
Can you stand one more Texan?

I just registered here at the Lounge, having found it from the Gladhatter site. I found it interesting that Art lived in Hamilton since I am in a smaller community named Carlton that is about 20 miles from Hamilton and in the same county! Small world.

I am a Baptist minister and educator that has always found western hats just not my style despite being a "native born Texican." Fedoras fill the bill of style and sun protection well.

I have already purchased a Panama, but am fascinated by the offerings of Panama Bob. Perhaps a second Panama can be added as budget allows.

Thanks for providing a place for like-minded folks to discuss hats.

Dave

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome Dave.
I received a call last night that my stepfather just passed yesterday in Hamilton. I can't make it to the funeral tomorrow but thought you might know him as he has been a lifelong Baptist. Royce Elrod, bless his soul.

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
My condolences

Hi Art,

I have probably met your stepfather if he attended any of the Associational meetings. First Baptist Church in Hamilton has the largest facilities in our county and consequently host most of our county-wide meetings.
My prayers will be with your family in this time of grief.

I live in the Hico school district (I'm on the school board there) and we have a wonderful teacher who may be from Hamilton. His name is Keith Elrod; could he be kin to you?

Blessings, Bro. Dave

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Art, I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your step father...I know that must have been hard, especially with the other passings your family has had recently. Do you have kin in Arlington? I had a 3rd grade teacher by the name of Elrod. I still run into her on occasion.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Keith is my Stepbrother Dave. I'm sure you have met Royce then if you know Keith. I have a sister in Hamilton also and a brother in Houston.

thank you for your thoughts I prayers Holly & Mycroft. I'm afraid I wasn't very close to the man as I left there when I was 9 & he remarried. ( My mother passed in 1958). I grew up pretty bitter with him and Him of her early death. I finally got the chance in 1998 to sit on the porch for hours and talk to him about things that happend and why and came away with a more content heart and a better understanding. Dave, I only MET Keith in 1998. Although I didn't love Royce, I did respect him after that day and wish him peace and God speed.
As far as I know Holly I have no relatives in Arlington, but then I'm the Fawcett side of the family, not the Elrods so I really don't know. I was gone for 40 years before reconnecting.

Art

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
Further proof that it is a small world, indeed. I just got in from an overnight visit to Dallas for some church meetings so just now reading your message.

I am glad that you had a chance to find some degree of reconciliation with Royce before his passing. Families can certainly be brutalized when "blended." The current term of "blended families" always makes me think that some are blessed to be truly brought together, while others get blended like in a blender, more shredded than brought together.

You might be interested that Keith is a fine man and has become a master teacher and taught both my sons high school math. Our district has just asked him to assume the duties of business manager where we desparately needed top-notch talent. It is a loss to the classroom, however.

I look forward to one day acquiring one of your amazing creations.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.

Bro. Dave

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Dave Keith, I just have to comment that it's weird for me to see you signing off as "Bro. Dave" as that's what I called my pastor growing up...you might know him...David Kuykendall-pronounced Ker-ken-dal (Calvary Baptist of Oak Cliff).

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
Yes ma'am I have heard of him. Are you still a member there? I know that that area has been in a dificult transition and many of the churches have struggled to continue to minister to the community that now surrounds them.

Most people who refer to me as Bro. Dave frequently remember the old time comedian Bro. Dave Gardner. Many Baptists grew up referring to their pastors with the title "Bro." My use of the title is intended to be a little light hearted when my pastoral mode is on. Usually I prefer just Dave.

We are practically neighbors by Texas standards.

Dave

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Dave Keith said:
Yes ma'am I have heard of him. Are you still a member there? I know that that area has been in a dificult transition and many of the churches have struggled to continue to minister to the community that now surrounds them.
He's retired now and runs a ministry teaching living by grace (www.livingbygrace.org). He's no longer at Calvary and yes you're right, I think the churches in that area of town are struggling to stay afloat. I think some of the churches are probably primarily Spanish speaking now or at least have side ministries to reach to the community, but I'm really not sure on that. How far are you from Dallas? If you're into fedoras and such, you might wanna check out Peters Bros. hat shop in downtown Fort Worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy