Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Guy

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I am new to the Lounge but have haunted it for awhile now. Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I am Eric L. Russ aka Gray Ghost. I have been called a ghost for a long time. I have the uncanny ability, for my size, to walk with out being heard. I even wear boots most times and I do not make a sound. I never could understand why people need to clop when they walk. The Gray part of my name comes from my days as a Confederate Reenactor. I did it for 18 years. My hero is the original Gray Ghost, Col. John Singleton Mosby of the 43rd Virgina Partisan Rangers.

Faith: Born Again Christian

Favorite Movie: To have or have not, Maltese Falcon, The Man with Bogart's Face, Indiana Jones Trilogy

Favorite Actors: Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Sean Connery, and Harrison Ford

Favorite Actress: Lauren Bacall

Favorite Pinup: Used to be Betty Grable, but now I have to say that it is Jitterbugdoll. After seeing her pinup posts, all I have to say is "Have Mercy!"

Favorite Singers: Elvis Presley, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and my brother, Tony Russ

Favorite Band: Glenn Miller Orchestra

Hobbies: WWII Reenactor, Have my own group. My group portrays the unit that my father was a part of during WWII,13th Air Force. I love to read, Swing Dance, fly planes.

I work for the Rocky Mount Police Department as a Public Safety Telecommunicator. I am a Staff Officer in the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. I am also the Membership Manager for the 13th Air Force Veterans Association. I apologize for being so long winded.

Jake

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge Gray Ghost, looks like you have found your kind of place. We have a couple of other fliers here as well. Cheers :cheers1: ....Jake

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Thanks Jake. I have always been into vintage. I just wish I had more of it. I am a big guy and just can't find vintage that fits, other than ties, hats and jewelry. Being a dispatcher for a PD, has put alot of weight on me. I work the grave yard shift or as I like to call it the "sit and eat shift" I just thought about it, Grave Yard shift and Gray Ghost. I guess I am in the right job. LOL. On the clothing side, I have to buy modern, but I wear it in the vintage style. Gray Pin stirpe with a gray fedora always looks good.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Another New Guy

Hiya Ghost, like you I am new here, and like you I have also observed the lounge from outside for a while. I was always relecutant to join because I knew I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d end up writing things like this all day instead of working?¢‚Ǩ¬¶as I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m self employed that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s bad! Anyway, I cut and pasted your biography and then entered my own details, which saved me a bit of time!

Faith: none

Favorite Movie: every damn Film Noir made. Every crime or JD or social realist film made in the US, UK, or Europe circa 1930-60. Plus 12 o?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢Clock High, greatest war movie ever. Plus various more recent films like?¢‚Ǩ¬¶um?¢‚Ǩ¬¶like?¢‚Ǩ¬¶uuuummmmm?¢‚Ǩ¬¶?¢‚Ǩ¬¶(brain starting to hurt) well I like Clint Eastwood?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s westerns and the Coen Brothers are pretty good. So High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Millers Crossing,

Favorite Actors: Jimmy Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Mitchum, Clint Eastwood.

Favorite Actress: my 13 year old daughter.

Favorite Pinup: jeez, this sounds trite and corny, but its got to be my wife.

Favorite Singers: as a muso it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard to know where to start here. Even harder knowing where to end?¢‚Ǩ¬¶but any list would have to include Tommy Duncan, Hank Williams, Lefty Frizell, Carl Perkins, Big Joe Turner, Wynonie Harris, The Stanley Brothers, Iris DeMent, Ivy Anderson, Billie Holliday, Joseph Taylor, Phil Tanner, Billy Bennett, George Formby, Marika Papagika?¢‚Ǩ¬¶.sorry, I could go on and on here, as I could with your next category?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Favorite Bands: Duke Ellington Orchestra, Fletcher Henderson Orchestra, Bob Wills Texas Playboys, Quintette of the Hot Club of France, Hatchette?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Swingtette, the Drifting Cowboys, The Skillett Lickers, Mostah Sevdah Reunion, plus anything featuring Cliff Bruner, Stuff Smith or Harry Choates.

Hobbies: I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a dealer in vintage clothing and WW2 aeronautica and also a working musician so the question?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s kind of irrelevant. But I did used to be a professional historian so I suppose I could class the study of history as a hobby now. And like you Ghost I have also been known to shake a leg at the jazz band ball. I also seem to do a lot of DIY but I wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t regard that as hobby, more an unavoidable road to the ultimate end of restoring my old house to its former Victorian glory.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I'll echo the others: Welcome to the madness... first drink is on me!

Johnny_Thumb.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Gray Ghost said:
IHobbies: WWII Reenactor, Have my own group. My group portrays the unit that my father was a part of during WWII, 13th Air Force.

Welcome to the perimeter track, GG. I have a wide-ranging interest in the fighter groups of WWII. Strangely enough, I have focused in on the 56th and 57th groups and the 61st, 62nd, 63rd, and 64th squadrons. Zemke and his lads and the black scorpions of the 64th had some remarkable experiences as did the *fighter boys* in all AAF and RAF units. Let me know if you're ever in need of some Lt. Colonel/senior pilot stuff. At 52 it's time I moved on to full bird/general and command pilot wings.

FHH >> Zemke Fan

Mycroft

One Too Many
Gray Ghost said:
Thanks everybody for welcoming an old Rebel like me. I do remember seeing an episode of Batman that had the Gray Ghost. I loved the outfit and may have to get one for myself. Might do it as my avatar. Thanks again.

GG

No problem, if you need help with the costum, just ask, I have some ideas already, if you need them.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Thanks Mycroft. Any ideas that you have would be good. I have thought about doing a variation of the one from Batman. There was another Gray Ghost that was a vigilante in the old Jonah Hex comics. He wore a Confederate Officers uniform and had a full face mask. I have thought about wearing a Gray Pinstripe with gray fedora and either goggles or mask or even a cloth across face similar to the Shadow. I would probably use a lot of shadows to give it a noir look.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Gray Ghost said:
Thanks Mycroft. Any ideas that you have would be good. I have thought about doing a variation of the one from Batman. There was another Gray Ghost that was a vigilante in the old Jonah Hex comics. He wore a Confederate Officers uniform and had a full face mask. I have thought about wearing a Gray Pinstripe with gray fedora and either goggles or mask or even a cloth across face similar to the Shadow. I would probably use a lot of shadows to give it a noir look.

Well by judging from the Animated Series, he wears a grey motorcycle suit like the ones the Blackhawks have with the double breasted front and a cape. Also, a grey fedora and old welding goggles.

Pic

Blackhawk, jacket maybe for compasison

Model for jacket, maybe sans the rank badges and collar

Picture for reference

Vanessa

One Too Many
And another Gray Ghost would be. . .

the Queen Mary. First thing I thought of when I saw your name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay