Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new hat on wednesday

shamus

Suspended
I went thrifting today as I usually do on a saturday and hit one I normally don't go to. No vintage suits today.. although when I walked by the door that holds all the stuff you can't buy yet.. you know the one. It holds all that magical wonder that you'd love to go through before everyone else... well sitting there on the table as a big black Dobbs Hat box.

I had to know what was inside and asked a lady who worked there if I could see it. She said it wasn't for sale yet. I said Okay, but could I still see it?

She agreed and inside the Dobbs box was a beautiful Dobbs Fedora in gray with a dark band. And it had it's original Dobbs plastic rain cover too.

I wear a 7 3/8 and knew it had to be one of those 6 5/8 or something and looked for the tag, but no tag. Then I lifted the inside band and there was the tag. 7 3/8! I nearly had to change my pants. Even the original price tag of $20.00 was on it. I tried it on and it fit perfectly. But then I heard... I won't price it till wednesday.

So now I sit... Hatless, waiting till that day to see first how much they want for this hat.. and second, till it's mine.

Oh the stressfull life we hat lovers face.

hatflick1

Practically Family
SITTING HATLESS

And then there is the dreadful reverse. You have conquered the wait. Placed all of your ebay bids. Won the great vintage fedora advertised as 7 3/8. The box arrives, thrown on the porch by the postman who knows the drill. You rip it open. Scrape clinging styrofoam popcorn off the brim and crown. Take a breath. Place the hat on your head. And...it sits atop like a bird. Shocked, you whip the hat off. Examine the tag. It reads 7 /18. You bellow something unprintable. Wish Luca Brazzi was still alive so you could send him around to the seller. The next day the postman thanks you for the new hat. A lot more dapper than the pith helmet.

shamus

Suspended
new hat comes today! They just called me said I can have it... $24.00.
Hat, box, rain cover...

sweeeeeet

shamus

Suspended
X-mas in July...

Got the hat one day early.

It's a Dobbs Cushion-Aire. Size 7 3/8. Gray. Sold at Desmond's in Southern California. Original price sticker under the band too... $20.00. I paid $24.00.

Came with original Dobbs Box, and plastic rain cover...

No mothing...Slight off shape but not bad at all.. .here's some pics...

dobb1.jpg

dobb2.jpg

dobb3.jpg

dobb4.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Clicking on the links brings up a page that says the allocated data transfer has been exceeded. Give them some time, and they should be back up. Can't wait to see the hat!

Brad

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Nope

"Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://www.geocities.com/super_bay1/dobb1.jpg"

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pictures are showing up for me right now. Looks like a really nice hat. Very Bogie'ish (minus the feather)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Nice lid, Shamus! I have a Dobbs that is nearly identical to it and it's one of my favorites - still looks good after considerable use - a real workhorse! Congratulations on a nice find at a great price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails