Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New, hatless and ashamed

Wasz

New in Town
New face in town here, I gotta say this is a cool site. This my story. My brothers both have hats, they pull them off nicely. I think they are both Stetsons, nice fedoras. Anyway, I'm the only one who is hatless. So I randomly stumble over this site a while back. Of course I alerted them.

My problem, is that while I would very much like to have a hat that I looked sharp in, I don't. My brother's fedoras look HORRIBLE on me. Thus leading me to ask. How did you find your style, and how would you suggest I find mine?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, at least you're no longer 'lonely'. :)

Show us a photo of yourself.

My instinct is to say that you just have to try a few styles, go ahead and wear them, get reactions, etc., and learn for yourself what your style is.

But maybe if we see ya' we can suggest something...

And welcome!

Wasz

New in Town
Yeah it just didn't come out right. The brain processes poorly on occasion at this time of night.

Here I am dressed up for Halloween at a shooting event. I'm on the far right.

OCMafia.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
Wasz said:
How did you find your style, and how would you suggest I find mine?

My initial reaction from your photo is that you're a big (tall) chap and that hat you're wearing has too much taper on the crown (narrower at the top), and too short a brim.

I would look for something with little or no taper, quite tall and at least 2 5/8" brim.
Take a look at the Akubra Federation at Hats Direct, or the Christys Adventurer from Hornets Hats.

Take a look in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today?, and get a feel for what others of your size/shape wear as well.

And welcome.

Bill

Thwack

Familiar Face
I agree with Billy. A tall crown and a wide brim would fit pretty well. Take a look at some of Indycop's hats as I believe he's a pretty tall guy and has quite the expansive hat collection.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I agree with the above. You need to get a bit more substantial hat with little or no taper in it. The one in the pic is way too small for your frame.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
It's unanimous so far. My first thought was less taper, wider brim. And I'd suggest the same thing to the stout fellow on your right.

Congrats on your willingness to give lids a go, and welcome to the Lounge.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
One thing I'd like to add-
When you finally get a hat that you like, don't be too critical with how it looks on you at first sight. You will most likely need some time to get used to the looks of it.

At least thats what I thought some time ago. When I put on my first hat and looked into the mirror, first thought was "Nah, that doesn't work!", but I changed my mind soon after that :D

Everwyck

New in Town
I'm no expert ...

but I'd have to agree with everyone here so far. Less tapering in the crown, no stingy brim, and give yourself a chance to see how good that'll look on you!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
OddSteve said:
One thing I'd like to add-
When you finally get a hat that you like, don't be too critical with how it looks on you at first sight. You will most likely need some time to get used to the looks of it.

At least thats what I thought some time ago. When I put on my first hat and looked into the mirror, first thought was "Nah, that doesn't work!", but I changed my mind soon after that :D
I didn't have this problem with my first hat. It was a Tilley T3 (OK not a proper fedora) and I liked it right from the start. My next hat was the officially licensed DP Indy hat (shame on me for having got it but I knew nothing about hats). Although I had to get used to wearing a hat in public I liked the look in the mirror right from the start.

Everwyck

New in Town
avedwards said:
I didn't have this problem with my first hat. It was a Tilley T3 (OK not a proper fedora) and I liked it right from the start. My next hat was the officially licensed DP Indy hat (shame on me for having got it but I knew nothing about hats). Although I had to get used to wearing a hat in public I liked the look in the mirror right from the start.

I still have my Tilley T3- doesn't fit me properly, but I still love it!

Actually, that gives me an idea for a new thread ...

Goose.

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:

My instinct is to say that you just have to try a few styles, go ahead and wear them, get reactions, etc., and learn for yourself what your style is.
HPG is right. In my case anyway. I have always wanted a shorter brim fedora. Got one a few weeks ago (Hampton) and while I do wear it occassionaly, I know it doesn't work for my noggin' (see below for my descriptiom to understand the "why").

Wasz...here are two pics for you to visually compare. The first is the Hampton and the second is the Federation IV. Maybe it helps you get an idea.
I think the Federation suits me better
(comments/opinions from my Hat Brothers welcome regarding that assessment).

HAMPTON...........FEDERATION IV
492019901_BaHjZ-Ti-1.jpg
485684424_m7Ppi-Ti-1.jpg

Wasz said:

My problem, is that while I would very much like to have a hat that I looked sharp in, I don't. My brother's fedoras look HORRIBLE on me. Thus leading me to ask. How did you find your style, and how would you suggest I find mine?
Wasz Up Wasz?

What others here said...
First and most important, WELCOME! :eusa_clap

I don't know if I'm considered a big/tall guy. 6 feet tall and 210 lbs. But I have what is politely called a "deep full face" (AKA: "fat" on me...to give you insight, my brother used to call me "watermelon head").

Anyway, get a Federation or similar style. Meaning no taper and wider brim.

And, in my opinion, "horrible" is kid of strong...but I think we are generally tougher on ourselve's.

ryang

New in Town
Great advice guys - I agree with all of the above.

And Goose - the Fed IV looks great on you. I like the Hampton as well but the Fed fits your face realy well.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
ryang said:

And Goose - the Fed IV looks great on you. I like the Hampton as well but the Fed fits your face realy well.

:arated:

On both counts - great advice given and Goose - the Fed IV is your look!

Wasz

New in Town
Thanks for the ideas. Yeah the had I was wearing was a beat up old hat of my brother's. Not my style. I'll have to get out and try some on.

Goose.

Practically Family
ryang said:

ValEag said:
:arated:
On both counts - great advice given and Goose - the Fed IV is your look!
avedwards said:
Do I get a drink too as I'm comparatively new compared to some here? :)
Wasz...please post back on what you end up doing. Looking forward to that post/pic :)

R & V...
Thank you for taking the time to chime in on the Fed on my head. The opinions of you gentlemen (and ladies) that appreciate and understand hats means very much to me.

But now I'm just wondering where my drink is too ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy