Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here but not to hats: Cap info requested

guitone

Familiar Face
Hello,

I have been wearing hats for many many years. I just plain like them as do you folks. I have worn what I call regular hats (mentioned here mostly as fedoras) and have finally found a cap I like. When I was in London in February I looked and looked but just did not like the narrow fitting ivy caps there...I started looking here and found both 8 panels and ivy styles that interested me. I took a drive to Del Monico's in New Haven and found some Borsalino caps, but 8 panel and ivy. The ivy surprised me in that I liked it a lot in a solid charcoal, more than the solid 8 panel (although there was one plaid 8 panel that I did really like). Anyway, I went back about 8 pages of forum posts and did not see anything on ivy caps and wondered why? The Borsalino Doria Gruppo is very nice, fits fuller than other ivy caps I have seen. Now I seem to be on the hunt for a nice 8 panel, maybe a twill or something like that, checked out B! Wear and they do seem to have some nice patterns on that site. Sizing I know is not consisitent from one make to another as my head measures 22 inches but in the ivy I took a 58cm and in the 8 panel I would have needed a 57, same maker. Any good resources would also be appreciated. Very nice to find other folks like me, I just don't see many men wearing hats..I have worn hats for the past 20+ years and enjoy the look...caps add more opportunity to wear a hat.

guit

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
He can make it for you.

Hello, If you have a picture of the hat Brett can make it for you. I'm a 7 3/8 long oval plus 1 /16. His hat fits me like it should custom made.

Tell him you want the leather # 2 sweat band nice soft roan leather. If you want to send your own fabric he needs 1/2 yard to make your custom cap.

Best cap maker I have found.

guitone

Familiar Face
Thanks for the feedback. I had a hat on order with the hatpeople but when I saw that they used elastic I decided to go a more traditional route. I need to see what B! is all about, how he makes his. I get turned off by the weirdest stuff.

SHARPETOYS said:
I just ordered last night the # 1 and # 20 Brett is trying to source some fine linen fabric for us. I gave him a source for more roan leather sweats. I had him line mine in cotton since I live in Florida {Hot} He will bend over backwards to help you.

He is a Master Capper our first at the Lounge

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

I still think you are missing the boat here. The #24 is definitely you. :p

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Thank you little brother!!

jamespowers said:
I still think you are missing the boat here. The #24 is definitely you. :p

Regards to all,

J
Ok! I really like it. Size 7 3/8 plus 1 /16 I just had a birthday so i'll let you buy it for me and i will wear it everyday. You are a good friend and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. :cry: :cry: :)

Sharpey

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I wanna see pics of whatever cap you end up getting, guitone! I have an eight-panel on order from hatpeople. It should be here pretty soon. But since I've ordered mine, I've seen pics of what Brett can do and it looks like the next cap I get may come from him. (When I'm no longer unemployed, that is! :rolleyes: )

bink

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Hey Bink, I have not gotten mine yet either. Carol advised me via e mail that it would be sent out before the 1st. Yours is probably going to be in that shipment. It seems that they have to get enough orders together before they make a UPS run. I've been looking at the B Wear caps too. They have a wire in the brim and no seam down the front. I guess if asked Brett can make a cap without the wire and with the traditional seam down the front.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
To funny

Biltmore Bob said:
Hey Bink, I have not gotten mine yet either. Carol advised me via e mail that it would be sent out before the 1st. Yours is probably going to be in that shipment. It seems that they have to get enough orders together before they make a UPS run. I've been looking at the B Wear caps too. They have a wire in the brim and no seam down the front. I guess if asked Brett can make a cap without the wire and with the traditional seam down the front.

Thats funny!! :)

My cap from http://www.hatpeople.com/tourshop/catalogue/cat.html I orderd the linen one. Mine will be in the same batch she said with yours. :)

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Hey, Biltmore Bob, I got my cap today!

Hey, Biltmore, I got my Hat People cap today! You should have yours soon! I'm really happy with it. The tweed is nicer in person than what the website shows. It's got the eight panels with the seam straight down the front -- just as we like 'em. Yeah, it's got a tiny little space inside at the back where you can adjust the cap, but it's barely noticeable. You can't even tell a thing when you look at it from the outside (or see it on your head). Besides, the fit is perfect, so there's no need to adjust it.

The brim is nice. Even when you put the cap on the first time, the brim acts like you've worn the hat for ages. The only thing it doesn't have is the snap on the brim that keeps the hat forward. I'm not sure I mind it, though, the more I play around with the hat. Even so, I'm sure it would be easy to tack it shut, if that is your preference. This cap is going to look better the more I wear it. I wish I had a digital camera, I'd happily show some pics!

bink

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
binkmeisterRick said:
Hey, Biltmore, I got my Hat People cap today! You should have yours soon! I'm really happy with it. The tweed is nicer in person than what the website shows. It's got the eight panels with the seam straight down the front -- just as we like 'em. Yeah, it's got a tiny little space inside at the back where you can adjust the cap, but it's barely noticeable. You can't even tell a thing when you look at it from the outside (or see it on your head). Besides, the fit is perfect, so there's no need to adjust it.

The brim is nice. Even when you put the cap on the first time, the brim acts like you've worn the hat for ages. The only thing it doesn't have is the snap on the brim that keeps the hat forward. I'm not sure I mind it, though, the more I play around with the hat. Even so, I'm sure it would be easy to tack it shut, if that is your preference. This cap is going to look better the more I wear it. I wish I had a digital camera, I'd happily show some pics!

bink

Mail it to me and I'll post the pics for you.
Love, :drum:

Sharpey

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Ok better idea

binkmeisterRick said:
What, part with my new hat just so you can "take pics" of it? Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids. :p

bink

Just call Panamabob AKA Robert Weber meet with him buy him a glass of water and he will do your pictures for Mr. Bink :cool:

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I'm just as giddy as a school girl anticipating her first kiss!!

Ain't got mine yet...Oh the agony of the wait...just a little longer now, I've waited almost a month, stay the course....

Bink, the snap bill is not a traditional item. My Grandpop came here from Ireland by way of England and had a brown tweed newsboy with no snap. He also had several English Driving caps aka Ivy League caps without the snap. I was very young when he died so I don't remember him, but my Grandmom kept his wardrobe in mothballs until she died. I referred to those caps as "Andy Capp hats". You know, the guy from the comics. He also had some bowlers and derbys, canes and shelaghlies and some real cool stuff. I don't know what happened to the stuff when my Grandmom died. I was in the Marine's overseas. I would love to be able to go through his things now that they would be worth something to me now. Back then I used to think how worthless those old things were, why would anyone keep them around? If I had only known then what I know now...

Biltmore Bob said:
I don't know what happened to the stuff when my Grandmom died. I was in the Marine's overseas. I would love to be able to go through his things now that they would be worth something to me now. Back then I used to think how worthless those old things were, why would anyone keep them around? If I had only known then what I know now...

You don't know how many times I have said the same thing about stuff from my grandmother. I think we all have the period of recognition that we were once really dumb so don't feel like the Lone Ranger there. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters