Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Indy Flick Poll

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Definitely #2. We both love Indy, and can't wait to see this one. We just haven't had time to make it to the theaters yet. We'll probably end up seeing it Monday.

WH1

Practically Family
Put me down for #2.
My wife and I went to the new Monaco theater here in Huntsville. Very nice especially the over 21 Prive seating (no kids in that section, a big plus) with a bar and good food, fresh sushi, etc. A very nice movie going experience for a reasonable price, a great date night for us.

The movie is definately worth seeing. It is very entertaining and well shot, but it has some weaknesses. I missed Sallah from Raiders and Last Crusade, possibly the all time best sidekick, John Rhys-Davies was always entertaining.
Ford was very good at dealing with the age thing, his stunts and reactions were not too far out for his age. It would be interesting to see further exploration of his WWII exploits that they touched on. Something for the Middle Aged Indiana Jones Chronicles perhaps.;)
The clothing, hats, cars, and sets were all very good. I particularly liked the scenes in his home office. I know we had a thread on FL about offices from the movies, this would be a good addition.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've already seen it twice! ....and I'd see it again! It's great entertainment, lots of nice hats and wardrobe, wonderful effects and good humor.

This is good film-making and is just what it was designed to be - entertainment through suspension of reality!

Loose your high-minded prejudices folks and just enjoy it for what it is - A MOVIE! Geesh!

-dixon cannon

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Saw it. LOVED it. It's Indy- that's enough for me. Raiders is still my favorite movie ever. Nearly went to the midnight showing but went last night instead, in a leather jacket and hat, no less. :D

drjones

A-List Customer
my vote

Im going with #2. make that....see it AGAIN! I went opening night!

MAB1 said:
Sorry couldn't make it a poll... So just copy and paste, if you want. ;)

1. Yea, I'll go see it for the kids.

2. I can't wait to see it!

3. I refuse to buy into the hype. Boooo!

4. I'll wait till it's on TV.

I'm goin with number 4. :D

ehtyva

New in Town
I saw it yesterday (opening day) and it was um...to put it simply...bad.

The acting and dialogue was great. The story/plot was dreadful. The hats looked good though ;)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The NEW "Indie"

While its NOT as good as "Raiders", IT IS a good adventure flick to forget your troubles.

Solid Citizen ;)

PS Should bring an uptick to HAT HITS @ FL :)

BobC

I saw the movie this afternoon with my wife and thought it was pretty good. Some of it moved pretty slow and I kind of lost interest, but the second half moved along quickly and had some funny and entertaining stuff.

I wore my Fed Deluxe IV and it was the only hat in the theater, though the place was not crowded at all. A guy walked past me and said, "I see you're wearing your Indiana Jones hat" even though my hat is heritage fawn and not brown. I guess it's the style that counts.

Indy wore a grey fedora at one point in this movie. I have seen the moonstone grey Fed IV posted on this lounge and marvelled at it. Now I want one even more.

Steve

Practically Family
Saw it last night, going in costume just for the fun of it. I thought that the ending leaned far too much in the genre of sci-fi, but I loved the first two acts to death. The ambitiously long tracking shots absolutely amazed me, and I actually appreciated Cate Blanchett in her role.

It was just plain fun.

AlanC

indycop said:
Alan or Barrowjh would you say it is ok for an 8 and 10 year old to see or too scary?

Sorry, just saw this. There's no way I'd take my 8 year old to it, a ten year old, maybe.

I have to remember that I saw 'Raiders' at least three times in theaters when it came out and I was only 11 at the time. Of course, that could explain what's wrong with me today...

RBH

Bartender
Saw it last night with my 23 year old son and 19 year old daughter... we all loved it.
It was great seeing Indy back on the screen and the 'plot' fit the feel of the 1950's type sci-fi movies to me.
:eusa_clap That the hats were Adventurbilt just made it better!:eusa_clap

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Saw it opening day ... Liked it ... Short of "Loved it," though ...

It was exactly what I expected; no more, no less. Which is good ;) Of course, like many here, just seeing Indi again is enough for me.

BUT they could have dispensed with some of the extra cheesy bits ... like the CG gophers.

flat-top

CG gophers and monkies aside, I liked it. What made it better is that we did it true Saturday Matinee style, and saw it this afternoon at a 1920's theater! Cool experience!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Sorry..but I didn't like it. I wasn't expecting RAIDERS but SKULL was more like RETURN OF THE JEDI, one step away from an appearence by Ewoks. Swinging through the jungle with CGI monkeys? Really?

I loved the movie at first. The backstory about Indy being a spy was interesting. The clothes were awesome as was seeing Indy's home.The nods to prior films, and even the lousy Indy TV show, were cool. Ford still rocks as Indy. No one can wear a fedora and leather jacket like he can!

Then, they got to the jungle and it went into the crapper for me. The snake scene, and most of the second half of the film, was contrived unlike anything see in RAIDERS. At one point, I couldn't remember why they even needed to return the skull to the cave. The fight through the jungle was ridiculous though the ants were cool.

If this had been a James Bond movie - it would have been MOONRAKER.

Double takes from prarie dogs? Un-freaking-believeable!

Why, George Lucas, did you not get a better script? You had a decade to work on it but you were too hung up on the flying saucer thing.

IRON MAN is the winner, so far, of the summer popcorn movies....Let's see what BATMAN can do.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Saw it yesterday, while checking out the multiplex competition on my day off. Ford still has *it*, but there were a lot of little annoying things in the script that bugged me. If the skull was so magnetic, why wasn't it pulling those Army trucks in the warehouse toward it? Why didn't the rifles fly out of the soldiers' hands? Etc. etc. etc.

But still, an enjoyable diversion. And I have always thought Indy in a bowtie is a very fetching look.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Saw it today, having very low expectations after reading alot of disappointment elsewhere I went in with an open mind. I thought it was a good movie, thoroughly enjoyed it. Indy has turned into his dad in a lot ways it seemed to.lol

D

drafttek

My review, for what it's worth.

It was long awaited, highly anticipated, and what a disappointment. Indy, in this newest movie, appeared to be an anachronism. He reminded me of an old fan running around in an ill-fitting Indiana Jones costume, out of place in a more modern time. For some reason the Indy outfit just seemed so out of place in this movie. Ford was ok but failed to recapture that “attitude” Indy had in the earlier movies. He seemed to go through the motions halfheartedly, not fully Indy-esque. I attribute this to age. This movie should have been made long ago or not at all. Cate Blanchett was wasted here. Her character was shallow and her abilities barely touched upon. She didn't even try to woo Ford! C'mon, where's the love interest? Allen? She could have been left out of the movie altogether with no effect. Shia Lebouf was actually pretty good in his role. To bad they had him swinging from vines and dueling with a sword when a heavy machine gun is readily available at his feet. Too much ridiculousness here. If they were going for the low budget serial look they almost achieved it. Jungle scenes looked like they were filmed in a warehouse with some plastic jungle plants stuffed inside. The jungle chase scene (which was entirely too long) looked like it was filmed on the jungle ride of a second rate theme park. And when you don't have much of a story to work with? Yeah, go with space aliens.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot