Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Johnson Leathers jacket

buler

I'll Lock Up
My new jacket from Johnson Leathers arrived today. Its a winner. Fit is exactly what I was going for. Workmanship is top notch. I mixed some of the features from their M-200, M-200L, and M-200AF jackets. I was going for an Aero Highwayman without the outside chest pocket. Hide is 3.5oz naked cow. Zipper is shiny brass. Lining is brown heavy cotton and nylon in sleeves.
Also added knit cuffs inside sleaves.

Alan at Johnson leathers was exceptional to work with and I couldn't be more pleased with the jacket. Ordered on Jan 12th and received Mar 12th.

Here are some pics.

B

3350615704_a7875b9677_o.jpg

3349786037_7c7ba71834_o.jpg

3349785755_561309efa1_o.jpg

3349787771_b2ba5711f6_o.jpg

3349787527_ea88b1c658_o.jpg

3350613664_7a5231baf7_o.jpg

3350613586_27ec6d51f4_o.jpg

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
At first I thought the zipper is a bit too big, but when I saw the motorcycle-style-back, I realized it all fits together.

Great looking jacket!

buler

I'll Lock Up
BrewCrew said:
Amazing fit, I really like how the back (and front!) turned out.

Thanks BrewCrew. I new from the "test" jacket they sent that I'd love the leather and workmanship. Obviously the fit is the big question. They really nailed what I wanted. Its snug without being tight anywhere.

I bought a thin fleece vest to wear underneath in the colder weather. I wore that this morning and it still wasn't too tight.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
OneEyeMan said:
That's a beaut! :eusa_clap
May I ask why you went with Johnson instead of Aero?
Lenny

Lenny, I went with Johnson for a few reasons.

Cost, it was cheaper than the equivalent jacket from Aero. I DO want an Aero jacket. But it has to be a brown horsehide and that would have been even more money and I was working within a certain budget.

Fit was very important and even though everyone seems satisfied with Aero hitting the mark from their measurements, I was a bit hesitant. With Johnson being in San Fran, it didn't take much extra time for them to send a test jacket for me to try. Between my opinion of how that fit, pictures I sent them of me wearing it, along with my measurements, they nailed the fit how I wanted it.

Its also nice to know I'm supporting a "Made in the U.S.A" company that I hope stays in business for a long time. While I have nothing against Aero or buying from them (again, I will probably do that someday) I'm glad we have Johnson Leathers as a choice.

Oh yeah, it was faster too. 8 weeks from start to finish. I'm not very good at waiting.

B

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
All great reasons.
It's nice that you were able to try one on before purchase.
That's the risk I'm taking with my current Aero order.
Good luck with the jacket.
From your pix, it seems to fit perfectly.
It's really beautiful and should last several life times.
Lenny

Fenton

Familiar Face
buler said:
My new jacket from Johnson Leathers arrived today. Its a winner. Fit is exactly what I was going for. Workmanship is top notch. I mixed some of the features from their M-200, M-200L, and M-200AF jackets. I was going for an Aero Highwayman without the outside chest pocket. Hide is 3.5oz naked cow. Zipper is shiny brass. Lining is brown heavy cotton and nylon in sleeves.
Also added knit cuffs inside sleaves.

Alan at Johnson leathers was exceptional to work with and I couldn't be more pleased with the jacket. Ordered on Jan 12th and received Mar 12th.

Here are some pics.

B

3350615704_a7875b9677_o.jpg

3349786037_7c7ba71834_o.jpg

3349785755_561309efa1_o.jpg

3349787771_b2ba5711f6_o.jpg

3349787527_ea88b1c658_o.jpg

3350613664_7a5231baf7_o.jpg

3350613586_27ec6d51f4_o.jpg

BTW, I'm aiming for a similar fit with the Highwayman I've ordered. May I ask how tall you are and what the back length of the jacket (base of collar seam to bottom) is?

cheers

Creeping Past

One Too Many
That's a neat-looking jacket. No side panels and an action back: does that mean the armholes are small, allowing more movement?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fenton, I'm 5' 11". I'll measure the jacket tonight and post the number.

Creeping Past said:
That's a neat-looking jacket. No side panels and an action back: does that mean the armholes are small, allowing more movement?

I'm not sure how small the armholes are, but the jacket does allow a wide range of motion. The sleeves fall exactly where I want them and the action back allows reaching for steering wheel or motorcycle bars without the sleeve pulling up.

I just put the jacket on and lifted my arms staight up. The bottom of the jacket rises a little, but not much.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fenton said:
BTW, I'm aiming for a similar fit with the Highwayman I've ordered. May I ask how tall you are and what the back length of the jacket (base of collar seam to bottom) is?

cheers

Fenton, I measured from the back/collar seam to the bottom of the jacket. Its 23 1/4".

Hope that helps.

B

Fenton

Familiar Face
buler said:
Fenton, I measured from the back/collar seam to the bottom of the jacket. Its 23 1/4".

Hope that helps.

B

cheers, helps a lot! great looking jacket ... will try to get the same fit for my new highwayman :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Fenton said:
cheers, helps a lot! great looking jacket ... will try to get the same fit for my new highwayman :)

One thing to consider is your waistline. Since I didn't get side cinch straps, its a snug (but not tight) fit at the waist. Good reason to keep your weight stable, but not so good if your waistline may vary from time to time.

B

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's a nice looking jacket. Looks to be well made and the combo lining should provide both durability and ease of wear. Is Johnson Leathers somehow related to Johnson Motors? I ask that because at one point Johnson Motors did a limited run of leather jackets made by Aero....[huh]

Anyway, the fit of your jacket is excellent and the number of features you put together really makes sense and is good looking:eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
JanSolo said:
That's a nice looking jacket. Looks to be well made and the combo lining should provide both durability and ease of wear. Is Johnson Leathers somehow related to Johnson Motors? I ask that because at one point Johnson Motors did a limited run of leather jackets made by Aero....[huh]

Anyway, the fit of your jacket is excellent and the number of features you put together really makes sense and is good looking:eusa_clap

Not sure about any connection between the two. Johnson Motors has been around a lot longer. Both in California. Other than that, don't know.

B

Lancaster

Familiar Face
Searching for my next jacket design and found this thread. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Naked cow and all. That biswing back design is more functional than Aero's and others. Theirs is more for looks but yours looks like it actually works. Schott has a good desing as well. Aero also insists on giving more belly room than needed, even after measurements and me asking for a smaller waist. I have to cinch the straps on both my half belt and Highwayman. I'd rather have a trimmer waist with no straps.

So now that several months have passed Buler, has your view of the jacket changed at all? How is it holding up? Would you change anything?

Looks great on you...a classic.

NEC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner