Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Life for an Old Hat

Swamp_Fox

New in Town
I thought I would share my latest thrift store find with you folks.

I picked up this nice vintage beaver fur western hat for $8 at a Goodwill store. When I got it, the crown had something like a safari bash and the brim was terribly misshapen from sitting on it too long. It was also sporting a gaudy ribbon made from big brown feathers. It looked like a rejected stage prop, but I knew it had potential. I wish I would have taken some "before" pictures, but I didn't think about it.

The crown is very high and it would have looked ridiculous on me with the original bash, since I'm not a tall guy. When I got it home, I removed the feathered band and let the shower run over the hat to get it good and wet. I re-bashed the crown as you can see, reducing its considerable height. I guess it would be considered a pinched telescope or perhaps a c-crown, now. (I was thinking of Blondie's hat from the Dollars trilogy when I bashed the crown) Then, I gently reshaped the brim. Finally, I put on a new leather band from a western store.

I'm pretty happy with the final result! I feel good that I rescued a nice vintage hat from an uncertain fate; I expect that I will get many years of use from it.

Francis_Marion

Francis_Marion

Francis_Marion

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Swamp_Fox said:

I'm pretty happy with the final result! I feel good that I rescued a nice vintage hat from an uncertain fate; I expect that I will get many years of use from it.

Now that strikes me as a hat that someone who goes by the handle Swamp_Fox should be wearing. That concave crown tapering that you ended up with speaks of heritage.

Keep your step away from the quick sand, Brother!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo