Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Lost Worlds Leather Peacoat Pics

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Some pics of my new LW Leather Peacoat. Peacoats are my favorite jacket design so it's not surprising that my first purchase of a significant leather piece would also be a peacoat. LW quality is directly palpable: weight, smell, texture, 'feel', it has it all. The hide is a black elk, which is fairly rare. I like the rough texture and springiness of the hide. The buttons are tortoise shell, which makes the jacket complementary with brown shoes and/or khakis on occasion, though I suspect I will wear mostly jeans or gray trousers with this jacket. High armholes and a nice fit around the shoulders, armpits and chest...like a custom jacket.

Size 42 Regular
Sleeves shortened to 25" (modified post sale)
Hide: Black Elk (3+ ounces)
Lining: Deep purple rayon

Full front:
PC-FullFront.jpg

Closeup of collar, front:
PC-FrontTop_zps89a482e0.jpg

Full back:
PC-FullBack_zpsc5b00ab7.jpg

Closeup of collar, back:
PC-CollarCloseUp_zpsb234833c.jpg

Inside breast pocket, lining:
PC-InsideLining_zps99638136.jpg

Closeup of front collar for stitching and hide texture:
PC-StichCloseup_zpscd4173b1.jpg

Fit pics later today or tomorrow....

rmconner80

Familiar Face
Real nice! That elk looks amazing. I hope you get many decades of enjoyment out of it. Thanks for sharing.

I'm wearing my goatskin LW Raider jacket this week (quasi warm weather for February) so I am on the same terms regarding LW quality and workmanship - it's continually astounding.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing my goatskin LW Raider jacket this week (quasi warm weather for February) so I am on the same terms regarding LW quality and workmanship - it's continually astounding.

The Raider, Suburban and Ryder are the styles that interest me most. The pictures and experiences shared on this forum are more compelling than the pictures/messaging on the LW site. Analogy: I saw Dirk Nowitzski in the flesh at the Peninsula Hotel and he was larger than life: LW jackets strike me the same way. There's a thin line between genius and madness and maybe Stu and his crew are unicycling on it. ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, the lining and the hide go very well together.

How stiff is the Elk. I never even considered it as a hide for a leather peacoat, but I might now.

Does the Elk appear as if it will break in and grain out like the HH and the Cow, or will it be new for a long time like the Goat? If I can get Stu to put in an insulated liner, this may be what I get. Been looking for the right leather peacoat for a long time.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Yes, the lining and the hide go very well together.

How stiff is the Elk. I never even considered it as a hide for a leather peacoat, but I might now.

Does the Elk appear as if it will break in and grain out like the HH and the Cow, or will it be new for a long time like the Goat? If I can get Stu to put in an insulated liner, this may be what I get. Been looking for the right leather peacoat for a long time.

The jacket felt stiff on day one, but every day it grows softer and softer. Based on what I've read on the site, it is nowhere near as 'stiff' as HH. I had to karate chop the jacket to fold it onto a chair on day one; after about 10 wearings, it will fold over without martial arts.

Not an expert on Elk by any means. But I believe it is more 'steer-like' than 'goat-like' in its properties. I wasn't sure, but the rough and wrinkled texture got me comfortable re: its purpose in my wardrobe immediately, i.e. it's not a motorcycle jacket that looks good all smooth and shiny, but rather matte and mottled for a more casual look. It's already pretty grainy 'new'. I think brown jackets look best 'worn' and black jackets are usually better looking closer to the 'new look' end of the spectrum. It's rare to see an antique black anything (shoes, jackets, furniture, etc.) that look as good as antique brown. Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Great Jacket... you really "hit the ground running" since you've been here. Are the buttons on the back of the collar for a attachable fur collar? If so what color and what type?

Worf

Tadite

Familiar Face
That's a great jacket. It's good to see people trying some of the more unexpected combinations. Elk + Peacoat. Every so often I take a good long look at that section of the Lost Worlds site. It's an interesting idea!

winterland1

Practically Family
Looks like the fit is good. From the look of the arms it looks like it was never worn. I'm sure they'll crease up nice and relax a bit with wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou