Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member, guidance needed.

Ahmad Todd

New in Town
Hi everybody,

A few months ago I, a college student in D.C. started looking for a leather jacket. I couldn't find anything I liked that fit me. The Polo Ralph Lauren (size small) leather jacket I tried on in store was awful. The sleeves were long and the fit was loose in the chest and waist.

I started looking around online and stumbled across your incredible community of tasteful collectors. I discovered that I what I really wanted was a nice used Schott or Vanson jacket. I do not ride motorcycles, nor am I particularly physically active. I love the look and want something close fitting that flatters my build. I am 19, 5' 6" with a 36" chest and a 29" waist (measured on the trouser line). I've attached a photo of myself to give a better picture. That is how I often dress, trousers and sneakers are a more summer look for me. In the fall I generally jeans and leather boots.

What I have created this account to ask, is if, after much looking, ya'll think this will both suit and fit me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3950821272...LNtOWS29iP9RCcxTqg1uH5/Q==|tkp:Bk9SR6LS_dSVYw

Much appreciation,
Ahmad

Attachments

• tempImageuAjzbJ.png
    tempImageuAjzbJ.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 90
Hi everybody,

A few months ago I, a college student in D.C. started looking for a leather jacket. I couldn't find anything I liked that fit me. The Polo Ralph Lauren (size small) leather jacket I tried on in store was awful. The sleeves were long and the fit was loose in the chest and waist.

I started looking around online and stumbled across your incredible community of tasteful collectors. I discovered that I what I really wanted was a nice used Schott or Vanson jacket. I do not ride motorcycles, nor am I particularly physically active. I love the look and want something close fitting that flatters my build. I am 19, 5' 6" with a 36" chest and a 29" waist (measured on the trouser line). I've attached a photo of myself to give a better picture. That is how I often dress, trousers and sneakers are a more summer look for me. In the fall I generally jeans and leather boots.

What I have created this account to ask, is if, after much looking, ya'll think this will both suit and fit me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/395082127228?hash=item5bfcbad77c:g:aW8AAOSwncJlhbUt&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwAU1kbLit2eZxubzKeUl3fV/sihQqZ74aCNeQW9dbSK8IwVv7fQCNMDUTJnMnvt7cW31X57O6WCwHrYxgGlKt0TExqyRno9OKS5q2hfwmy/jd40JUItnevra0PEz/8cfC3+GlVubugjU6+oxJ3H+cLWlfR+rAS5klEE7MVVZpRmI10Pkp4jkLPDWcCDFdNJFtyOWGoh+Aou4GQbxdOkQfhQ494NJSDhHKVIGaQ7G76LNtOWS29iP9RCcxTqg1uH5/Q==|tkp:Bk9SR6LS_dSVYw

Much appreciation,
Ahmad
That jacket is a great choice for an everyday, do everything and look the part piece. TBH, you don’t need anything more than that. Well tailored, nice hide, gets the job done in style.

I might caution against buying from Japan off eBay and suggest you continue to search for something with greater ease of access and return, should you wish to do so.

Ahmad Todd

New in Town
That jacket is a great choice for an everyday, do everything and look the part piece. TBH, you don’t need anything more than that. Well tailored, nice hide, gets the job done in style.

I might caution against buying from Japan off eBay and suggest you continue to search for something with greater ease of access and return, should you wish to do so.
Thank you Ton!

I’m a little worried about the fit, do you think Schott’s sizing will be on point?

Thank you Ton!

I’m a little worried about the fit, do you think Schott’s sizing will be on point?
I would absolutely measure a jacket that fits you well against the measurements for the Schott. In general, Schott does run true to size across most models (in my experience).

TartuWolf

Practically Family
For reference I'm:
33.5" over belt (wearing the actual belt that I use with jackets).
31" waist around belly button level
36" chest
5'8" height
120-125lbs

So far I've found out that I'm closer to a size 34 than a size 36. Closer to XS than to S.
With 36" chest I aim for ~19.5"-20" pit-to-pit / chest ideally.
17.25-17.25" bottom hem with my hip/belt width.
17-17.25" waist width.
23.75" body length without front drop for my height. Would be a bit less for you. Maybe something like 22.75" would work for you, depending on your torso-leg length ratio.
Shoulder width I go for ~17.25" but that will likely be different for you, shoulder width is not that much correlated with other body measurements.
Sleeve length is also quite personal, but 25.25-25.5" works very good for me.

For me the issue with a lot of jackets that you buy from vendors (or people) is that it's rather hard to get all the measurements you want so that you could make a good guess whether it will work for you or not.

Ideally find a leather jacket (your own, your friends, at a store..) that fits as close as possible to what you feel you like and then note down the measurements. Go based on that more than on a size.

The folks here keep repeating that measurements are not everything and that hey don't tell the whole story, but I've found that it's the only thing that you can really make an educated guess on without trying out the jacket or taking a gamble.

Hope this is useful to you, good luck finding your first leather jacket!
I think your choice to initially go for a used Vanson or Schott is a very good choice. Especially if you're in the US.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Sleeves on this jacket are pretty short at 22.5". You don't want to order a jacket all the way from Japan and then find out that the sleeves are too short. Compare the sleeve length to a leather jacket that fits you well, could be in a store if you don't have one. Shipping back to Japan will run you $120.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi everybody,

What I have created this account to ask, is if, after much looking, ya'll think this will both suit and fit me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/395082127228?hash=item5bfcbad77c:g:aW8AAOSwncJlhbUt&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwAU1kbLit2eZxubzKeUl3fV/sihQqZ74aCNeQW9dbSK8IwVv7fQCNMDUTJnMnvt7cW31X57O6WCwHrYxgGlKt0TExqyRno9OKS5q2hfwmy/jd40JUItnevra0PEz/8cfC3+GlVubugjU6+oxJ3H+cLWlfR+rAS5klEE7MVVZpRmI10Pkp4jkLPDWcCDFdNJFtyOWGoh+Aou4GQbxdOkQfhQ494NJSDhHKVIGaQ7G76LNtOWS29iP9RCcxTqg1uH5/Q==|tkp:Bk9SR6LS_dSVYw

Much appreciation,
Ahmad

Please don't buy this jacket!

This is a Schott Japan 36, which is smaller than a size 32.

Aloysius

Sent that quickly because I thought it urgent.

I'd say stick around here a little while, and in no time we'll be able to find you an all-rounder jacket like that (in a size that fits) whether from a member sale or a deal that's posted.

Ahmad Todd

New in Town
Sent that quickly because I thought it urgent.

I'd say stick around here a little while, and in no time we'll be able to find you an all-rounder jacket like that (in a size that fits) whether from a member sale or a deal that's posted.
Really appreciate your reply!

I wondered if the size would be different because it’s a Japanese model.
I was anxious about ordering over-seas. I’ll take your advice and hold off.

I haven’t quite figured out to navigate your platform. I’d love to find something on here, but don’t know how to look. Looking on eBay it’s hard to find stuff for prices around 350 in the US. Especially in the style I like. I love the way that jacket looks!

Ahmad Todd

New in Town
Thank you all for the replies and guidance!

I’ll take some more measurements and check details like that in listings.

Will keep reading and replying to these as they come in. You guys are amazing, I couldn’t have asked for more help.

Ahmad Todd

New in Town
Sleeves on this jacket are pretty short at 22.5". You don't want to order a jacket all the way from Japan and then find out that the sleeves are too short. Compare the sleeve length to a leather jacket that fits you well, could be in a store if you don't have one. Shipping back to Japan will run you $120.
I don’t have a leather jacket yet and don’t know how to measure sleeves

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Hi everybody,

Much appreciation,
Ahmad
if that color scheme is what you like the most I think a dark brown or seal is a better choice than black

Aloysius

Really appreciate your reply!

I wondered if the size would be different because it’s a Japanese model.
I was anxious about ordering over-seas. I’ll take your advice and hold off.

I haven’t quite figured out to navigate your platform. I’d love to find something on here, but don’t know how to look. Looking on eBay it’s hard to find stuff for prices around 350 in the US. Especially in the style I like. I love the way that jacket looks!

You’re semi-local to me so I can also flag you if I see something nearby.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
It looks like either a 641 or 141.

Without seeing the little white tag inside the pocket and finding the exact model it’s hard to know how this jacket would fit.

For example a I’m a 40 in most things. In 641 I’m a 40 but the 141 is cut a full size bigger, so I wear a 38 in the 141.

It could also be a modified model made for the Japanese market.

That being said, I’ve had decent experience buying Schott from Japanese auction sites via buyee.jp avoiding listings that don’t include pictures of the details I want to see (like model number)

If you do like this style, given your chest size a 36 in the 641 or a 34 (if available) in the 141 would likely fit you well.

For reference I’m 5’9” 175 lbs 40.5” chest and this is how a 641 fits me

IMG_4125.jpeg
IMG_3875.jpeg

Mrfrown

One Too Many
You may also like the Vanson Comet. It’s a shorter style that fits true to size, though it tends to have slightly long sleeves.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'd be wary of buying a Japanese market jacket as your first jacket if you haven't tried it on in person. They do tend to run small.

You don't need to measure a leather jacket. You can measure other jackets you have to give you some idea of what measurements you need in a leather jacket.

Patience is key as well. I learned this the hard way. You don't need just any jacket right now. You want a great jacket that fits you extremely well... whenever you find it.

Aloysius

It looks like either a 641 or 141.

It's not. It's a Schott Japan pattern equivalent, which runs 2-3 sizes small.

Schott Japan themselves are moving away from this pattern. The Perfecto Marc got in Japan, for example, is on the same pattern as my 613SH, but the previous horsehide and steerhide Perfectos there had something like a 43" chest on a size 44.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner