Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New member, starting up a crazy JL 6oz leather jacket order

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You already had that shrunken horse grizzly jacket or is it in the work now?

Damon showed me a picture of an shrunken horse jacket, but it was only the sleeve
In the works. I'll post some pics when it gets made. I keep seeing people with shrunken horsebutt boots and I just couldn't get the image out of my head...

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
In the works. I'll post some pics when it gets made. I keep seeing people with shrunken horsebutt boots and I just couldn't get the image out of my head...

Haha, I get it. The shrunken horsebutt is just beautiful. Shrunken bison, on the other hand, is a lot more rugged. It looks indestructible

What color is it though? One thing I notice is that 95% of leather jacket are some shades of black and brown. I would love to see a more variety of colors

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Haha, I get it. The shrunken horsebutt is just beautiful. Shrunken bison, on the other hand, is a lot more rugged. It looks indestructible

What color is it though? One thing I notice is that 95% of leather jacket are some shades of black and brown. I would love to see a more variety of colors
Shrunken bison fronts are very cool, but those are really thick, and you’d need to get them split down to garment weight, heavy duty stuff.

I think most of the stocked leathers are gonna be black and maybe some brown. All the other colors will have to be special ordered, just not enough business for them to sit on the wide color options.

But for leather, burgundy, or cordovan is really nice color, I almost prefer it over brown and even black.

steelbahamut

Familiar Face
Hey all, small update. After a bit of a shipping delay, I received the leather sample in the mail today. Looks good! The piece I got is roughly 2.3mm thick using my mitutoyo caliper. I like the dark shade of brown.

While the leather is thick, it doesnt feel ridiculously stiff to me. Im really looking forward to the end product now.
IMG_8809.jpeg

IMG_8810.jpeg

IMG_8811.jpeg

Last edited:

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
While it may feel soft hand and can easily be crumbled in your hand, it’s a bit deceiving with a small piece though.

I felt the same way when I had a small sample of the Shinki hh in my hand. My original thought was that “wow, really soft, nothing like I have imagined”.

But when I received the jacket, it could stand up by itself. And it definitely felt stiff on the first couple days. Main reason is that when conforming into the jacket, you have a structured leather piece with many stacked seams running through it. So it will take a bit of times to get used too.

On the other hand, the leather looks so good with the pull up effect. It would definitely be a lively jacket to wear!!!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
If the jacket is stiff and does not conform, one way to shape it is to wear it in light rain, and let it dry while wearing it. Or spray it lightly with water and likewise wear it until dry. This leather is bound to shape beautifully, sleeve are bound to develop impressive rolls, so much potential.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The quickest way to soften the CXL leather is to put it under the sun until it can‘t really stand stiff anymore. I had a 5oz CXL SH jacket, when it’s fully warmed up it’s very wearable, but when it was cold it does feel like armor, like Jekyll and Hyde in one.

6oz leather jacket is an art form on its own. Brown CXL is one of the nicest brown out there. Can’t wait to see this jacket!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will definitely be putting in the work and updating regularly. I am hoping it will be done and in my hands in March sometime, cross fingers.

No need to view it as work, it will be your most wanted jacket. Just enjoy wearing it as much as you can.

It is not dissimilar to a new pair of shoes that you love and need to break in.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
At 6 oz I would settle for something pliable such as Johnson Leathers bison. I currently try to break in a 4 oz Horween Steerhide and wouldnt want it any thicker, I dont see 6 oz steer- or horsehide ever being comfortable to wear and actually mold to your body. Its going to be a cardboard box for forever.

da1337

New in Town
Hey all, small update. After a bit of a shipping delay, I received the leather sample in the mail today. Looks good! The piece I got is roughly 2.3mm thick using my mitutoyo caliper. I like the dark shade of brown.

While the leather is thick, it doesnt feel ridiculously stiff to me. Im really looking forward to the end product now.
View attachment 587091
View attachment 587092
View attachment 587097
That is some beautiful leather for sure.

I went to JL recently and didn't see this as an option for a jacket (or atleast i didn't notice it). Did you have this special ordered with them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner