Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Members Collection

Chuck Naill

New in Town
I am enjoying this community and appreciate the wealth of information about hats, caps, and their history. Since I have a large head, 7 1/2 it puts me out of the range of most Ebay opportunities. I decided to go new. To date I have a Stetson Stratoliner, Bollman 1930 Trilby, a used Dobb "milan", a cheap Panama, fur felt "Raiders" fedora, and a Dobbs velour with pheasant band on the way.

My hats gets a lot of positive attention from my customers and co workers. They also have made this Summer's high temps bearable. It's like being under a shade tree.

Perhaps going forward a custom will be an option, but for now, I am really enjoying the practicality and style of using a hat for my business activity. It seems funny that I did not start before since I have always used a wide brimmed hat for the farm, golf, and hiking.

Thank you for a great site and great members!!!

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I too have a large head (7 1/2 loose fit or 7 5/8) and I've had some good luck here on the forum and on Ebay recently. Just take your time and focus on a certain hat and it will come along. I had a period a couple of months ago when I got hit with three of my bucket list hats all in a couple of weeks. That was an expensive period. I've got some real nice vintage and a few new. I still have one or two on my list but I can wait until I find the exact one I want.

Chuck Naill

New in Town
Thank you for the advice, Terry. The velour hat that should arrive on Monday is a good example of what you were talking about and I got it for $35 plus postage. It was on my "bucket" list because I remember a great uncle having one in the '60's

We LNL's (Large Noggin Loungers) are going to pay a bit more for quality vintage lids but they are out there. I have bought & sold quite a few, pristine, large size lids. It takes a lot of patience & a few more dollars. I compare prices based on what a Heritage Akubra, factory Stetson Pinnacle, or a custom will cost. If I can snag a vintage Borso or 50's Stetson for under $200, I am all over it & seriously consider any up to $300. Over $300, I look at the rarity of the model. Some of these models are few & far between in our sizes & they are never going to be making any more. My hat wearing was mostly western due to showing AQHA & NRHA over last 20+ years. Shop custom western hats someday though there are tons of old cowboy hats out there.
I am a true 7 5/8 LO but when scoping & scooping vintage ones, I go for 7 1/2 to 7 3/4. If the smaller 7 1/2's don't work, I resell them. Right Terry?

TomS

One Too Many
I'm an LNL ( like that, Tom) as well, and it does make the hobby a bit more expensive. Having said that, it probably makes me a more discriminating collector. If I wore a more common size I'd have way too many hats;)

gdc

One of the Regulars
I'm another LNL and have been collecting since last year. The most I've paid was $80 for a size 7 3/8 1940's Borsalino with a 2 1/4 brim. At a small shop in Nebraska I picket up a 1950's Stetson for a song because it was missing the liner. I also bought a Stetson box with ..........a liner wadded up for $10 and ended up with the hat shown in my avatar. The name written on the box match the initials printed on the sweat so I know they go together.

My first few hat buys were stingies but I've come to believe wider brims are best for me. It's difficult finding nice larger lids under $200 but I try to be patient. My hat budget is pretty small. I am a 7 3/8 long oval to 7 1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff