Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Old Stock/With Tags: To Wear or Not to Wear?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm packing for my move and have some gorgeous vintage coats I don't plan to wear because they still have the original tags. I feel like I need to preserve them and enjoy "wearing" them in my daydreams. However, I want to wear them next fall!

Do you sometimes have a hard time deciding if you should cut the tags and wear a vintage garment? What do you do?

Foofoogal

Banned
yes, I am the same way. Not sure if I want to be the one to do this after the item has lasted so long. I refuse to tear magazines apart to sell the ads and it is sort of the same but I have a summer frock I am pretty sure I am going to take the tags off and wear.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear old-store-stock hosiery all the time -- but I carefully save the tags, boxes, tissue-paper wrapping, and other packaging materials. And if I came across a coat or a dress I liked, well, I'd probably do the same thing.

I do draw the line at old-stock toiletries though. I have an eighty-year-old tube of Ipana sitting on my bathroom shelf that I probably won't be opening anytime soon.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I wear NOS stuff without no hesitation, but I'd never destroy an old magazine by tearing pages out of it.

But I would and do peruse my old magazines, which I think correlates more closely wearing vintage clothing. An old magazine that is never opened is just a pile of pulp, the treasures therein never to be (re)discovered.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't buy stuff unless I can wear it. I have enough old stuff in my closets without intentionally adding to it! (I'm not very good about cleaning stuff out.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wear them but don't use them to make crafty-type projects out of. I have a personal reaction that's visceral and quite different between just wearing something, for instance, and taking it apart and using half and sewing the other half to something else. I don't know, that's just me. Rather like the difference between using a set of plates, and thus exposing them to possible accidental damage, chips and whatnot, and smashing them up for mosiacs.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I try to have my cake and eat it too. If the tag is in the right spot I will just tuck the tag in when i wear it; (completely embarrassed to admit that) but hey if no one can tell then who cares right?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't keep anything I couldn't or wouldn't wear. I'll happily cut the tags off of NOS items so I can wear them, though I may hold onto the tags for awhile.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
definitely keep the tags & wear the clothes. fabrics have such a short shelf life in the great scheme of things, that it's seems a shame not to use something so pretty for what it was designed for.

:eek:fftopic:
the only exception to not using vintage in my day to day life is "things with plugs." my pal was going to send me a retro 70's smiley face lamp, but the cord shorted out & burned her house down before she had the opportunity to send it to me.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
SpitfireXIV said:
definitely keep the tags & wear the clothes. fabrics have such a short shelf life in the great scheme of things, that it's seems a shame not to use something so pretty for what it was designed for.

:eek:fftopic:
the only exception to not using vintage in my day to day life is "things with plugs." my pal was going to send me a retro 70's smiley face lamp, but the cord shorted out & burned her house down before she had the opportunity to send it to me.

Great point!

And that would be really funny if not true!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I agree, cut the tags and USE them! That's what I do, unless you bought it purely to keep in it's unworn state or to sell on later.

You might as well enjoy the use of these items. I too admit to keeping tags off things - it makes me feel *better* somehow, even though I have no hesitation in wearing New Old Stock. Wonder why that is? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot