Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (old) Vsnson Ike

Jim Day

New in Town
Painted... that's interesting. 8287 with a 02 batch number. That zipper is really interesting as well. The earlier ones have "T" markings on the tab, but it's pre YKK. I'd think late 80s early 90s.

New Vansons are expensive but you can get them used relatively cheap on ebay. I own something like 20 of them in various styles and colors, and consider myself a collector. Most of the ones I've purchased were obtained for between $150 and $250. What really amazes me is how well they last. Most of my jackets are 30 to 40 years old and the leather is still like new. I've never had the stitching fail in any way. The early English leather is more susceptible to staining but for the most part with even just reasonable care they are pretty indestructible. I see them as tools because I ride.

This white labeled Model A is probably over forty years old.
15905352009_d4a686babf_o.jpg

30+ year old AZ2.
22601681646_37c117539a_o.jpg

Another 30+ Model A (identical to the above without the zip in lining)
21827467612_d34fc60095_o.jpg

A more modern 20+ year old Enfield.
17345621508_d585abfcb4_o.jpg

In contrast this less then twenty year old jacket (I bought it new) from a competing manufacturer is starting to wear out and has been relegated to desert duty.
17338084510_3a3402cd0e_o.jpg

Personally I can't imagine buying one of the jackets new. Some of my 40 year old white labels still look the were just made, and they were bought at a fraction of the cost new. I wouldn't let the price of a new one hold you back. The pre 1980 jackets are some of the best made, and very reasonably priced. Just the fact there are so many of these jackets around in such great shape is a testament to their quality.

That's exactly it, what I've been telling people - there are many nice jackets and manufacturers out there but when it comes to quality and durability, there's only Vanson. Like, literally. You want something you know is gonna last you 11 lifetimes? Vanson.

It's so cool to see Model A in action. I consider it the best - or rather the most perfected motorcycle jacket ever made. And man, at 30 years mark it looks almost as new as my Mod A which is not even a year old.

How's their HH in comparison?

Jim Day

New in Town
That's exactly it, what I've been telling people - there are many nice jackets and manufacturers out there but when it comes to quality and durability, there's only Vanson. Like, literally. You want something you know is gonna last you 11 lifetimes? Vanson.

It's so cool to see Model A in action. I consider it the best - or rather the most perfected motorcycle jacket ever made. And man, at 30 years mark it looks almost as new as my Mod A which is not even a year old.

How's their HH in comparison?

The horse hides are even nicer. Great leather. My neighbor has one and it's pretty stunning. I don't have any because they are hard to find in my size, and those that do come up on Ebay sell for more then I want to pay. I'd get one if I could. :D

Last edited:
The horse hides are even nicer. Great leather, superior wear. My neighbor has one and it's pretty stunning. I don't have any because they are hard to find in my size, and those that do come up on Ebay sell for more then I want to pay. I'd get one if I could. :D

They always look absolutely stunning in the photos. I find them nicer than most other HH out there, especially after some wear, but I still have to see one in person. I hope you get one yourself.

Great photos you posted, by the way! :D

Jim Day

New in Town
They always look absolutely stunning in the photos. I find them nicer than most other HH out there, especially after some wear, but I still have to see one in person. I hope you get one yourself.

Great photos you posted, by the way! :D

Thanks! Great pic, love that color. They seem to have a hardness to the leather and a depth to the finish the other jackets do not have. I'm not sure that they really wear better but it does have a unique almost high density feel. I'm sure I'll end up with on eventually.

Last edited:
Depth of the finish, yeah! Few that I've seen develop a... darkening of a sort, instead of usual fading, so that it looks like the leather is gradually getting darker toward the edges. I have only seen this on Vanson HH and it really looks insanely gorgeous. I won a cordovan HH Enfield on eBay a year or so ago that was exactly like that, but the jacket was located in Taiwan and for some reason Paypal wouldn't allow me to transfer the money to the seller. We were trying to get the money across for two days and eventually I had to give up. But man, that jacket was so beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou