Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New order, Aero A2 Jerky Russet

Mark

Practically Family
Hi Guys

I'm just about to put in my order with Amanda at Aero for a Bronco A2 in Jerky Russet with Rust knits and a rust lining. I'v done all the measuring (and more) requested of me. As its my first A2 i was wandering if there is anything i should be thinking of/requesting?
For example, i was thinking of an internal pocket but i'm not sure if its necessary as the A2 has two big pockets already?
How about those WW11 zips? I really like the idea, what are they like in respect of durability compared to Aero's own?
I'm going to ask Amanda to add an extra 1" on the back length only for the reason that it seems right for this style. My Higwayman falls just below my belt line, i thought the A2 should be a tad longer hence the 1" extra length. What do you think, am i right on that one?

Anything else you have to say will be hugely appreciated,

Regards to you all.

Mark

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hi Guys

I'm just about to put in my order with Amanda at Aero for a Bronco A2 in Jerky Russet with Rust knits and a rust lining. I'v done all the measuring (and more) requested of me. As its my first A2 i was wandering if there is anything i should be thinking of/requesting?
For example, i was thinking of an internal pocket but i'm not sure if its necessary as the A2 has two big pockets already?
How about those WW11 zips? I really like the idea, what are they like in respect of durability compared to Aero's own?
I'm going to ask Amanda to add an extra 1" on the back length only for the reason that it seems right for this style. My Higwayman falls just below my belt line, i thought the A2 should be a tad longer hence the 1" extra length. What do you think, am i right on that one?

Anything else you have to say will be hugely appreciated,

Regards to you all.

Mark

I've also ordered an A-2 recently, and I think it should be a tad shorter and of a tighter fit than my HWM, because I won't layer the A-2. For me the perfect length of an A-2 is the waist cuff ending 1" under the belt when the jacket is closed.

Pay attention on the sleeve-length! The tighter the jacket fits in the shoulder the longer the sleeves must be, because a roomier style in the shoulder also gives the arms more length. E.g: My HWM has a shoulder span of 19" and the arms are 26.5". For the A-2 I choosed a tag size with a shoulder of 18.5", so the arms got plus 0.5".

Concerning the inner pocket: My HWM and the 1950's Flight Jacket have got inner pockets, the A-2 won't (because of the two pockets it already has got).

You say rust knits and a rust lining. If it were miy jacket this would be too much rust and I'd take the standard mustard lining. But this is only my personal view ...

And the zip should be the one that lives longer, and as far as I know the Aero's own zips are of a much better durability than the WII's.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Johannes

Last edited:
I won't comment on the size - that's your taste and body that will dictate. But I draw the line at the inner pocket. Just me, otherwise, just get an Avirex or Schott, etc.

RRackleyAdams

New in Town
Aero makes a great product but I made a mistake and bought one too short for me. Be very clear on how long the zipper is...mine was 22.5" (their standard length for a size 46)...I am 6' and this is hella too short for my size. If you're 5'10" or under then you'll likely be fine...if you're taller than make sure you ask for a longer zip.

Edward

Bartender
If you want a big inner pocket ask for a blood chit, see the jacket on my avatar.

Good option. Personally, I'd prefer the mod that the 352nd Fighter group had done as standard on all their issue jackets at one point. ELC produce a replica of this, though I don't see any reason why Aero couldn't do something the same. The ELC picutres are very large, so I'll just link to them here rather than repost: http://www.eastmanleather.com/images/product_splashes/352nd A-2 mont.jpg Very practical option, I should think. I've long kept an eye out for one of the ELCs going for a song used, but I doubt there will ever be enough of them in circulation for that. Alas, the new ones are now well over double what I could justify spending on an A2.

Aero makes a great product but I made a mistake and bought one too short for me. Be very clear on how long the zipper is...mine was 22.5" (their standard length for a size 46)...I am 6' and this is hella too short for my size. If you're 5'10" or under then you'll likely be fine...if you're taller than make sure you ask for a longer zip.

Worth considering - I'm 5'10" exactly, and I can confirm that the standard Aero A2 length is perfect on me - if you are a few inches taller, it could come up short.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Mark, re. the back length. Take a look at John Chapman wearing one of his Broncos (http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwbronco_images5.html) to get an impression of length with respect to belt/waist.

You should keep in mind that John is wearing 1944 models from Levi's Vintage Clothing line. These are tailored much differently than Levi's current production 501's. Most importantly for the discussion of lentghth of the jacket is that these jeans are very high waisted, which would make the jacket look longer.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I ordered a Bronco contract too. It is due to May. I requested a lot of customizations but regarding your questions;

i was thinking of an internal pocket but I'm not sure if its necessary as the A2 has two big pockets already?

I ordered two inner pockets to store my papers when it rains and a thin double lining.

Those american wwII zips are a big no for me because they have the slider on the contrary side where we have it in Europe. It really drives me nuts. Therefore, I asked for an Aero branded zipper. Some people say it is more durable but I can't tell for sure.

I requested the same since I have some other vintage A2 and they are all short. I guess they are supposed to be short but I prefer jackets to be a little bit longer.

Cheers ;)

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'v really taken them on board and have adjusted my wish list. Have also been nagging Amanda at Aero to give me her opinion about all aspects of the jacket really, she has been amazingly helpful. It's so difficult when you can't actually see what you are buying. Anyhow here is my revised jacket; Bronco jerky russet, mustard lining, mid brown knits and there standard zipper. With regards the length, i'v requested an inch longer than my Highwayman (25", i'm 5.5 tall) to take the hem bit below bottom of my belt.

Thanks again, i will of course post pics in 4 months time!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot