Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New school actors, old school looks.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
For actresses, no one in my opinion, from recent years can match Kate Blanchet in the Aviator. Who better to play Katharine Hepburn? (and her wardrobe was to die for)
aviator02.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I agree-

I watched 'The Aviator' again on DVD recently and thought she was actually pretty darn good. Nobody looks like Hepburn anyway but DiCaprio sure doesn't look like HH and doesn't come across as a tall guy-
I think her manerisms and voice were well done.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bogart-

Movies in the '30s/'40s are a whole different kettle of fish to modern ones-
how can you compare someone in a film made in the late '30s to a modern one 'set' in the same period?
If Bogart were an actor today, he'd be laughed out of Hollywood.
Acting methods and styles are totally different today too.

It's funny, I never thought of Bogart as a tough guy, more of a smart ass/wise guy, who did what he had to do.

I watched 'Each Dawn I die' with Cagney last night and 'To have/not' the night before on TCM and I was thinking about this- '30s/'40s acting was very 'cheesy' compared with modern- but it was indeed a different time with different norms and expectations. I appreciate the old films of course- otherwise I wouldn't be interested in them.
And of course we have that silly romantic idea that everything was better 60 years ago. How do you compare 60 years ago to today? We don't know- we weren't there-
I think Russell Crowe actually makes a really good 'tough guy'- he proved that in L.A. Confidential. He can act too.

B
T

Lauren

I agree... They are an aquired taste or you are raised watching them (which was my case). My roomate is very 21st century and laughs at the old movies (except Miracle at Morgan's Creek- which is similar to a modern lifetime movie). It seems people are prefering more "real" films, which is a shame when some of the only times you go to see modern films are when they are historical or epics. I think that the interest will continue- the classic films are too- *ahem*- classic to fade from interest.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Getting Back to Threads

I certainly don't want to speak for Mr. Deckard, but I expect he began this thread to discuss the Golden Era fashions as represented in recent films such as Seabiscuit, The Untouchables, Road to Perdition, The Aviator, Pearl Harbor, or even Saving Private Ryan.
As minutely as many of the posters here probably follow the fashions in such films, I wonder which films you ladies and gentlemen feel are the best, in terms of representational quality and authenticity? Which are worst? We all have our favorites for acting, music, storyline, etc. What's your favorite film for the threads?
For me, I loved the costumes the women wore in Pearl Harbor. The men's uniforms were either very well done or amazingly well-lit, I'm not well versed enough to know the difference. :) I know I wanted absolutely every last item in the scene where Our Heroine shares the fact that she's expecting. The clothes, hair, sunshine, gas pumps, and the '41 Oldsmobile in the background:
Sorry_Pal.jpg
I'd happily find a place for her, as well. Hubba.​

If anyone saw the film "Windtalkers," about Native American secret code work in the war, I think that one shakes out as populated by bad everything. Script, lighting, special effects, acting, and of course, costumes. Everything looked off the rack at Cheap Copies Dot Com.

BellyTank said:
Movies in the '30s/'40s are a whole different kettle of fish to modern ones-how can you compare someone in a film made in the late '30s to a modern one 'set' in the same period?
If Bogart were an actor today, he'd be laughed out of Hollywood.
Acting methods and styles are totally different today too.

It's funny, I never thought of Bogart as a tough guy, more of a smart ass/wise guy, who did what he had to do.

I think you have it backwards. If Bogart were alive today DiCrapio and Pitt would be laughed out of Hollywood. They are no where near the caliber of actor or presence on screen. Today they use a tired old method. When Bogart was an actor he had to develop his own. One thing for sure, I could not imagine the foul-mouthed words that actors of today say matter of factly coming out of Bogart's character on screen.
Bogart not a tough guy? :eek: [huh] Go back and look at some of his performances again. How many people does he have to shoot or rough up to be called a tough guy to you---while being a wise guy at the same time? :p

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bogey's not alive today though, is he? Pit and Crapio are-
Acting has come a long way. Not that I appreciate those two-
Classic movies are classic- like my old Pentium is now a Pentium Classic-
Superceded-
I still love em'. The oldtime movies that is, not Pentiums-
The oldies are more 'theatrical', which I do like.

B
T

Lauren

Best:
The Aviator
De-Lovely
Seabiscuit

Worst:
Nearly anything 80's or earlier that is supposed to be "period" and Finding Neverland from last year (NO zippers until the 1930's)

BellyTank said:
Bogey's not alive today though, is he? Pit and Crapio are-
Acting has come a long way. Not that I appreciate those two-
Classic movies are classic- like my old Pentium is now a Pentium Classic-
Superceded-

No, he isn't alive and neither is Gable. That is why there is no living standard to live up to. They all seem to want to be Alan Alda or Woody Allen. :p

BellyTank said:
I still love em'. The oldtime movies that is, not Pentiums-
The oldies are more 'theatrical', which I do like.

An old pentium may not be the best example. They are outmoded by faster and better chips. Older movies still have themes and ideas about the human condition that are timeless. That is why we see Its A Wonderful Life every Christmas over here. ;) They are like Plato's Republic. It may be over a thousand years old but the ideas are still good enough to build a democratic republic today.

Regards to all,

J

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Re: New School Actors, Old School Looks

I thought Russell Crowe was dead on in L.A. Confidential- both in terms of appearance and acting ability. I thought he showed a lot a lot of sublety in his facial expressions, especially in his first scene with Kim Basinger.
Really sold me that he was putting on a mask he didn't necessarily want to wear with her.
What do you guys think of Gary Cooper? Could Coop pull it off in today's Hollywood? Just a thought question.
Most of today's top male actors are caught up in action movies that are really
more like the old Saturday matinee serials than anything approaching believable drama.
As regards to clothes, Coop's tough to beat!

HTTK

New in Town
I thought they pulled off a good look in The Rocketeer.

rock02.jpg

rock_19.jpg

Wish I could find some better pics.

EDIT: Found some better ones...
bill1.jpg

easy1.jpg

eddie.jpg

rock8.jpg

sinclair1.jpg

rock9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads