Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Seersucker

kindofblue

New in Town
I just bought a new seersucker suit from J.Crew where they are on sale for around $160. This is my first seersucker, and I am a bit nerveous about wearking it, though quite excited. :) It should come in late this week.

Being new to seersuckers, I need advice on the following:

1. Shoes. I am keeping an eye out for some light colored suede bucks. I've not found any just yet in my size, but when I do I will buy some.

I have some light colored driving mocs. Will those look good with the suit until I find the suede bucks?

2. Shirt. I know a white shirt is good. Will a light, summer color blue shirt do also?

3. Belt. Do I wear a belt with a seersucker? What color of belt?

Thanks for your advice and helping me pull this off!!!!!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
kindofblue said:
I just bought a new seersucker suit from J.Crew where they are on sale for around $160. This is my first seersucker, and I am a bit nerveous about wearking it, though quite excited. :) It should come in late this week.

Being new to seersuckers, I need advice on the following:

1. Shoes. I am keeping an eye out for some light colored suede bucks. I've not found any just yet in my size, but when I do I will buy some.

I have some light colored driving mocs. Will those look good with the suit until I find the suede bucks?

2. Shirt. I know a white shirt is good. Will a light, summer color blue shirt do also?

3. Belt. Do I wear a belt with a seersucker? What color of belt?

Thanks for your advice and helping me pull this off!!!!!

1. Just about any brown or white shoes will work, in a pinch. White bucks are said to be the classic pairing with seersucker, but you have a lot of variety.

2. Yes. Light colors, especially blue, work very well with seersucker.

3. Yes, you should wear a belt. Go for brown leather, grosgrain ribbon, or maybe embroidered fabric.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
kindofblue said:
They might be passable if you're going for a casual look and wear the SS with a polo or T-shirt. But not with a dress shirt and tie.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the shoes, do you have any laceups in tan (bals or bluchers)? The lighter the better.

As for bucks, there have been some by Polo and some by Brooks on ebay over the summer. Now would be a good time to buy white bucks as they ought to be on clearance (just like a seersucker suit).

Congratulations on the suit!

wowandflutter

New in Town
a middle-aged gentleman came into the restaurant i work at the other day wearing a seersucker suit-- i complimented him on being so well dressed especially in that fabric which is quite handsome & underrated... he seemed very flattered & returned the compliment to me, bashfully. i wasnt sure if he was more pleased that his outfit had been noticed or a young girl was complimenting him...

anyhow. i love seersucker. i'm certain you'll pull it off well, especially with
the color & shoe suggestions given.

kindofblue

New in Town
Tomasso said:
They might be passable if you're going for a casual look and wear the SS with a polo or T-shirt. But not with a dress shirt and tie.

I looked at e-bay, and none of the Polo ones are in my size. I will keep an eye out. I really want some white bucks, because that is the traditional look I am going for. :)

Edit:

I found some white bucks on e-bay.....they are used, but look to be in fairly good condition. They are "British Brogues by McDuffee" That does not mean anything to me, but they are white suede bucks, and look good from the picture....I just hope they are comfortable if I win them!!! So, that should complete my seersucker outfit.

I know that jcrew is not vintage....but it is a seersucker, and it is toward the classic look I want! :)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
suit2.jpg

While I went more formal with my seersucker for a summer wedding (pic above), my clotheir encouraged me to enjoy the casualness of the suit. He said wear the jacket with grey or dark blue pants - even jeans. Take the pants and wear it with a polo without the jacket.

He is from the South and saus thats with the seersucker is made for.

griffer

Practically Family
160 for a seersucker, that's not bad...

How's the quality of the suit- lining, sitching?

How's the fit? Jacket boxy and loose, or decent arm holes and a tailored wasit? Pants low or high rise?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
wear the jacket with grey or dark blue pants - even jeans. Take the pants and wear it with a polo without the jacket.
I actually wear my SS suits as separates more often than as suits. I especially like to pair white or cream linen trousers with a SS jacket; Classic!

kindofblue

New in Town
griffer said:
160 for a seersucker, that's not bad...

How's the quality of the suit- lining, sitching?

How's the fit? Jacket boxy and loose, or decent arm holes and a tailored wasit? Pants low or high rise?

It was on clearance, normally costs around $300 or $350. Here is a description from the website:

"Our classic cotton seersucker, lightly garment-washed for softness. Three-button closure. Chest pocket, flap pockets, interior pockets. Nonfunctional buttons at cuffs. Center back vent. Cotton madras interior piping. Partially lined. Import. Dry clean."

I have some grey pants and some linen pants that the jacket should look great with!

I don't know how it fits yet...but other suits I have from jcrew fit me very well. I think I may need to get the waist altered....I wear a 33 waist, and they were out of 33 so I ordered a 34. But, that is an easy alteration.

I will let you know how it fits when it arrives!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Funny story about my SS.

I wanted it for a 7/7/07 daytime wedding.

So I asked my clotheir to order me a Lauren SS, for which he was going to charge me $150. Weeks go by and no suit. I call and he says his supplier had some confusion because over lot numbers and all they had were SS in pink or tan. No good - I want blue. He said for $20 more, he could probably get me a Hapspel. This was a week before the wedding and 4th of July was thrown in there. The suit came in on the Friday - a day before the wedding. He also ordered the suit a size larger than I normally wear. Uh-oh!

Amazingly, it all worked out. The jacket sleeves were good and the fit was passable. The pants were a shade big but a belt would take care of it. They hemmed the pants and I was good to go. They even threw in the tie and pocket square.

I took the suit back the following week for a proper fitting.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
As a Blazer most often

I have a blue seersucker suit, and never had the pants hemmed. I just wear the jacket. I usually wear it with navy slacks, a black belt and black cap toes. Sometimes I wear it with light grey slacks. I also have a tan seersucker (jacket only) that I wear with tan slacks and brown shoes. My tan seersucker is half lined -- you just don't see that in new coats these days -- it's great in the heat.

In the hot summer these are my go-to outfits. I pair them up with my straws and they are great for hot Virginia summers.

All the preceeding suggestions are great. My observation of southern gentlemen is that the blue is most often paired with black shoes. In the old days I used to see white shoes or even saddle shoes -- but I haven't seen that in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael