Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"new-style" fedoras???

snowslider

New in Town
I dont know what else to call them, but i'm willing to learn..

greetings!
i just may be the newest newbie, lol
i've lurked for a few days, and even posted in the welcome topic. I am enjoying a new facscination with the fedora. ive always been a backwards cap wearing guy. recently been turning the cap around more. soon i may branch out with one of what i'm calling a new style fedora. definately not tradition, only in shape alone...
i will include pictures.

i coudl ramble about them, buti woud like to hear the opinions of those who have been wearing and observing fedora styles from over the many years... and hear what opinions there are of these new styles.

many seem to stem from surf/skate/snowboard related companies. i'm wondering if the fedora will make a pop-culture comeback...
all opinions are welcomed, and i am sure they vary.

this company is called "elm company" a google search will get you thier website, they also sell paper-boy caps and a few other nice styles... i have thought this to be my favorite a few times...
2838564280102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

but i really think this one by Elm Company may be the one i want... btu unable to find for sale ANYWHERE! i'm about to start calling the shops listed on the website for possible mail order.
2829976230102619259S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL]
note the very short brim. i wish i could see other pics of this one.

basically the same hat in a different color:
2221447140102619259S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL]

this hat is made by Coal (sometimes seen listed as Coal Considered) i consider this a bit more formal of a hat.
2522775440102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

there are other companies making these casual type (i dont know what to call them) fedoras... quiksilver and others, i will post more pictures.
please discuss these 'new styles'.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
snowslider said:
this is also a Coal hat.
2506897520102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

what is this style trying to imitate? would this still be called a fedora... it just has a different crease?
Looks like a combination bucket hat with a stingy brim. If you're kicking the ball cap habit this would be a start. Not my style of hat,but we have all kinds of hat wearers here. Welcome aboard.

snowslider

New in Town
another.
quiksilver makes one or two.
2193456580102619259S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL]
i liek this style, if you can make out the patterned fabric. yet the image makes it look a bit plastic too.

this company is Vestal.
not a favorite hat.. but just to display a newer style.
2959077060102619259S500x500Q85.jpg
[/U

fatwoul

Practically Family
Welcome, snowslider.

Like Sefton, these aren't really my style, but that shouldn't discourage you, as there are plenty of porkpie and stingy-wearers amongst us.

snowslider said:

I agree that, of the hats you have shown us, this is also my favourite.

You mentioned newsboys, and being someone who is graduating from caps, is there a reason you have skipped over newsboys/bakerboys? You clearly aren't so much about brims right now, and if these hats reflect your wardrobe, a nice 8-panel tweed might work just as well, and are definitely more skate-friendly than a fedora.

Before you dismiss the idea, let me fight to convince you...

First, there's this guy who sells newsboys in distinctive cuts that you can guarantee your friends won't have, despite the newsboy making something of a comeback already.

Have a look at his wares and see what you think.

I just think that maybe a cap of that type MIGHT make a smoother transition from baseball cap to fedora. You have to be confident in any hat you choose, and I wonder if something like that might be more within your comfort zone for now.

Wow. Could I be any more patronising? Sorry. It's late and my ability to communicate is diminishing...

Spellflower

Practically Family
They sell these things ALL OVER New York City, and I see a lot of them on younger, hipper folks. I think they're a good alternative to ball caps. They seem to get worn as a more stylish replacement for floppy knit caps in the colder months, and have the obvious advantage of being crushable. I wouldn't feel comfortable in something with so little brim and weather protection, but I am glad to see more people wearing hats. It's crazy how many guys will go out on a 20 degree day with a giant down coat and nothing on their heads. I guess they're just trying to keep a rebellious streak alive and not do everything their mothers told them to.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caps, or hats, Fatwoul's point about being confident in what you wear is one with which I personally resonate. The hats you displayed here are fine, if they are the style in which you would be comfortable. They are not the style of fedoras coveted by the collector, but so what? For me, when it comes to headwear I prefer the emphasis on "wear". If you like it, wear it. No one really begrudges another man his choice; essentially we have different tastes. That's why we call it a 'style', not a 'uniform'.

dean

Alon

One of the Regulars
Let's not call every piece of headwear a fedora just because it has a brim and crown, otherwise this will also be called a fedora alongside those modern monstrosities:

2086730320_18636a1ff5.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
Alon said:
...modern monstrosities...

I think "monstrosities" is unnecessarily harsh.

Sure, they're fabric, with very tiny brims and trademarks stamped all over them, but they are a brimmed hat. They may not be vintage, but they are at least a small step in the right direction, which I think is to be encouraged.

Now that people have started wearing these sort of hats, "proper" hats might become a little bit more accepted, and that's fine by me.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I used to call these old man hats. The style evolved from the sixties stingy brims, and wer commonly worn in the seventies and eighties by older guys who were used to wearing hats, but were moving towards a more casual style all around. SO they adopted the style that still has brim and crown, but is made of various fabrics. This also explanis why some are plaid etc, very seventies.

Some were quite good quality, others not so much so.

I don't wear them, but I dig em. I sometimes pick them up in the thrifts or garage sales to trade in at the local vintage shop.

The new trend is probably a combination of young rap and hip hop guys picking up the style as it probably never really went out. African americans have always been more traditional in style as well as into hats, and the new wave style that has been wearing this hats as kind of a kitchy ironic hipster look.

I can't help thinking of Kevin Federline when I see one, but at any rate, you will look very hip and in style in one of these. If you want to save a buck, check the local thrift stores and vintge shops. And iof you want, you can step up to a wool or fur felt stingy brim.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
OK, so you like sting brim hats. Cool! If I recall (and I'm sure fellow FL ers will correct me if I am wrong) Sinatra, Davis and the rest tended toward stingy brim hats, no? So you are in great company.

Welcome to the lounge! And, thank you for leaving the baseball/trucker caps behind. I never cared for the look myself, especially backwards with the plastic size adjuster cutting across the forehead.

Dive right in and be open to change in taste. I certainly have as a new member of the lounge. I am in the learning curve myself and enjoying the journey, because there are a bunch of great people here (and you get to see a bunch of really great hats!).

indycop

I'll Lock Up
flylot74 said:
OK, so you like sting brim hats. Cool! If I recall (and I'm sure fellow FL ers will correct me if I am wrong) Sinatra, Davis and the rest tended toward stingy brim hats, no? So you are in great company.

Welcome to the lounge! And, thank you for leaving the baseball/trucker caps behind. I never cared for the look myself, especially backwards with the plastic size adjuster cutting across the forehead.

Dive right in and be open to change in taste. I certainly have as a new member of the lounge. I am in the learning curve myself and enjoying the journey, because there are a bunch of great people here (and you get to see a bunch of really great hats!).
:eek:fftopic: How are you going to get that elephant out of the tree?lol

snowslider

New in Town
I do appreciate the welcome.
I appreciate greatly fatwoul's comment of "You have to be confident in any hat you choose" and i think this is the greatest deterrent in selecting the right hat.
i feel it must "go" or match with the rest of my clothing for the day. ...but, i think i'll get over that because i know i'll choose a neutral colorway. and i'll take your advice to consider the newsboy style a bit more.
I do suppose what i like about some of these neo-fedoras, or non-fedoras (to not assume all brimmed hats are alike) is they are cheap, i can ruin it or crush it or something and not feel like i scratched a one of a kind vinyl record, ya know.
also i know they are cheaper and if i dont like it i diddnt invest a load of cash.
sadly the one i posted as the one i like hte best... it's also the most being just under $70.00 which right now is a lot to pay for a hat... and one that i may not feel the most comfortable wearing.

wifey tells me to buy one, the one i want.
maybe that's a good "problem"
i appreciate the opinions. as i appreciate the topic "hot topic" that seems to be discussing a lot of what i had wanted to hear regarding the newer styles i ahve posted pics of.

maybe i'll post more pics of non-fedoras that i like.

oh, i like the rocky balboa picture. i always liked that guy. but never really noticed his brimmed head covering, until now. there's a bit of a style to it, as we can all see and i understand a bit of how the brim brings us together.
(even though Rocky does look like a bum, it's still got style).

barrowjh

One Too Many
Those little hats are almost fedoras, as the definition of a fedora is "a soft felt hat with the crown creased lengthwise" The fabric hats are not felt, and some may see that as a major (rather than minor) discrepancy, but the definition of fedora does not imply any particular width of brim. Stingy-brim fedoras are often a collector's first wins on ebay, until we realize that there are a TON of them out there, and you can win them really cheap. Those were the most recently made hats that might be labeled 'vintage,' and few were worn to the point of wearing out, so they are plentiful. As demand for hats was dying out, some manufacturers poured great quality into the fur felt; you can often find very high quality suede, velvet, and peluche fur finishes in stingy-brim fedoras, rarely in a wider-brimmed hat that we collectors seek.

In a previous thread that died out real fast, about which type hat do you like least, I am on record as stating that I think the stingy-brim fabric hats are ugly. In fact, I think they are so ugly that they actually accelerated the demise of hat-wearing. I do not believe that they complement ANY man's structure, but if they complement any, its a very tiny few. So, advertising and pop culture may have made them popular for a short time, but the reason it was a short time was that they are ugly on almost all men, and fashion soon moved on.

Similar to the intentional wearing of jeans by teenagers in the 50s, overalls by kids in the 70s, 'grunge' look of more recent, gross over-use of body art, and other pop trends we could enumerate, I think the fabric stingy-brims are intentional self-uglification, a rebellious means of calling attention to yourself, or identifying with such a group for various reasons. Having said that; I have 2 or 3, and there are times when I'm in a goofy mood and will wear one of them, but not often.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
snowslider said:
...this hat is made by Coal (sometimes seen listed as Coal Considered) i consider this a bit more formal of a hat.
2522775440102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

I have some very similar to this (about 98% the same) I use it as a more casual hat - something to toughen up a pair of dark jeans and a thick wool sweater. :)

snowslider

New in Town
barrowjw i appreciate your comments.
i've looked around a little via google, but i'd appreciate a regular's definition of what stingy-brim is... is it meaning a shorter brim?

...so today i happened upon the mall. i found a couple hats, insteringly enough and tried a few on. they were all quite cheap (i plan to post in the more appropriate topic "hot topic") but it was nice to try a few on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats