Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"new-style" fedoras???

barrowjh

One Too Many
Stingy brim is a brim smaller than 2 inches. My low opinion of the fabric stingy brims might in part be due to just being totally burned out on watching Alabama fans in those houndstooth copies of the ugly hat Bear Bryant wore for so long. I am an Alabama grad, so this is not partisan ranting - just wish they would get over it maybe.

snowslider

New in Town
hmmm i do tend to like the smaller brim, stingy if i may. i am still hunting for the right one. keep in mind, im still a little under-comfortable with my ball cap on straight. lol

i do need to look into and try on a newsboy. should have done that at the mall today. i think newsboys look terrible on a shelf. but much better when worn.

Jerekson

One Too Many
My apologies for anyone who will be offended by this statement, but I feel I must say I have never hated an article of clothing so much as I hate these modern takes on our hats.

snowslider

New in Town
another. i like this one.
2911141870102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

brand brixton.. i dont like. i think this one is straw. nope..
2820227770102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

this one is quite horrible. brand Ephraim.
2232841450102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

another Ephraim... yuck.
2187112300102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

ok so Ephraim's hats... and clothes are ugly, but they have bible verses for each item.... cool, i can dig that.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome!

I like this one:

2193456580102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

And contrary to popular opinion in this thread, there are many persons, including myself, who wear stingy brims. I might suggest you look over the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread in the Hat Forum for more examples of Hats to wear.

Congratulations on your ascension to good taste. ;)

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

barrowjh said:
--snipped--In fact, I think they are so ugly that they actually accelerated the demise of hat-wearing. I do not believe that they complement ANY man's structure, but if they complement any, its a very tiny few. So, advertising and pop culture may have made them popular for a short time, but the reason it was a short time was that they are ugly on almost all men, and fashion soon moved on.

Similar to the intentional wearing of jeans by teenagers in the 50s, overalls by kids in the 70s, 'grunge' look of more recent, gross over-use of body art, and other pop trends we could enumerate, I think the fabric stingy-brims are intentional self-uglification, a rebellious means of calling attention to yourself, or identifying with such a group for various reasons.--snipped--.

Yes, but can you tell us how you REALLY feel?? :deadhorse :fing28: :eusa_doh:

Vintage Betty

snowslider

New in Town
Burton is known for making higher quality products in the snowboarding world. i dont think they still make this item. i dislike the bash... or lack of a bash???

2911162110102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

oh this one i could never do...
Still Life NYC Brown Leather Fedora
$200.00
www.stilllifenyc.com
2927653420102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

i hope this is more entertaining than annoying, but i can understand why a traditionalist or pureist would dislike some of these... such as this one:
2200302130102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

this i like.
simple, appears to have a short brim, not too tall for my tastes. i think i'd like to try this one on.
2497744100102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

snowslider

New in Town
having viewed those hats at the mall today allows me to see this and recognize it as cheap.
2533258110102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

i think this brand is called Neighborhood.
i thought i likes the short brim... but i dislike this brim.
2890821630102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

i like this one, its wool, i dis like any logos, usually, but if there, it must be simple... this one is not bad at all... i'd like to try this one on...it is $98.00 kinda costly.
2705545200102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

2988889460102619259S600x600Q85.jpg

snowslider

New in Town
CdnDandy said:
I have some very similar to this (about 98% the same) I use it as a more casual hat - something to toughen up a pair of dark jeans and a thick wool sweater. :)

what i'm wanting is a more casual item. but the pinstripes to me make it more formal.

snowslider

New in Town
Jerekson said:
My apologies for anyone who will be offended by this statement, but I feel I must say I have never hated an article of clothing so much as I hate these modern takes on our hats.

i know your feelings are echoed by many here. it is indeed an interesting transition. i am enjoying the variety... but i understand how some new thing encroaches on something you like, and how it feels.

maybe i like shopping more than i thought... maybe i like the idea of how a hat really alters one's image. there is so much style to a hat.

barrowjh

One Too Many
For Vintage Betty - my negative comments were restricted to stingy-brim fabric 'fedoras' on men, was not commenting about women, or any particular brim style in ladies hats. I generally prefer the longer, flowing lines of wide-brim fedoras on women, even exagerated brim width, but not to the point that I 'hate' stingy-brims on women. I think that stingy-brims are a less-than-optimum complement to the average man's structure, and the fabric versions are then a 'cheaper' understatement. Add bright colors and plaid and they look comical.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Alon said:
Let's not call every piece of headwear a fedora just because it has a brim and crown, otherwise this will also be called a fedora alongside those modern monstrosities:

2086730320_18636a1ff5.jpg
Hey,I don't care if you don't like my hat.Just don't hurt my feelings and say something mean about my coat...

Socrets

Familiar Face
I'm sorry but the stingy brimmed fedoras just seem tacky as a whole to me. Personally, I think, unlike most other things, the size of your brim really does matter. Besides, after seeing K-Fed's first performance... I'd rather not wear something that reminds people of him. If I had to choose between the stingy brim and a newsboy, the newsboy would probably be the better pick.

carebear

snowslider said:
Burton is known for making higher quality products in the snowboarding world. i dont think they still make this item. i dislike the bash... or lack of a bash???

2911162110102619259S500x500Q85.jpg

The reason these don't have real bashes is because the top of the crown is sewn on in a teardrop shape.

The whole purpose of a bash is to take an open crown, think the round shape of Hoss Cartwright's cowboy hat, and give it character.

See this thread for what the various bashes are and what we mean when we talk about "real" fedoras.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10272

Vintage Betty

barrowjh said:
For Vintage Betty - my negative comments were restricted to stingy-brim fabric 'fedoras' on men, was not commenting about women, or any particular brim style in ladies hats. I generally prefer the longer, flowing lines of wide-brim fedoras on women, even exagerated brim width, but not to the point that I 'hate' stingy-brims on women. I think that stingy-brims are a less-than-optimum complement to the average man's structure, and the fabric versions are then a 'cheaper' understatement. Add bright colors and plaid and they look comical.

And....

Socrets said:
I'm sorry but the stingy brimmed fedoras just seem tacky as a whole to me. Personally, I think, unlike most other things, the size of your brim really does matter. Besides, after seeing K-Fed's first performance... I'd rather not wear something that reminds people of him. If I had to choose between the stingy brim and a newsboy, the newsboy would probably be the better pick.

Mr. barrowjh, thank you for your kindness in excluding the ladies from your negative comments. However, I disagree.

I think certain gentlemen look excellent in stingy brims. In my opinion, the best men who can wear this style are thin, have thin faces and are usually under 30. This is (one of) the exceptions:

Sefton said:

And if said gentleman purchases a stingy brim as a first hat for $8 (the most recent purchases by yours truly were $8 each), than so what? There is nothing wrong with a $8 stingy brim, or a $200 stingy brim. The wearer makes the hat. To declare all stingy brims unworthy of being worn is saying that ALL men can't wear stingy brims. I don't like Kevin Federline either, but the man can wear a stingy brim.

And Frank (see above) proves that a man can wear a stingy brim with style, even after decades of fashion.

Vintage betty

leo

One of the Regulars
You MUST wear plaid pants and carry a 9-iron with you when you wear a fabric stingy brim. For the leather stingy brims, always openly carry your blues harmonica. lol

Truthfully, Bing Crosby or Bruce Willis could/can pull it off, but I'm tall enough that any brim shorter than about 2 1/4 inches looks goofy on me.

Bill

Feraud

Bartender
These hats are a modern twist on an old classic. Bear in mind this classic look was once very modern so go figure.. ;)

Like any other style hat, it takes a self assured person to wear one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats