Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"new-style" fedoras???

snowslider

New in Town
Feraud said:
These hats are a modern twist on an old classic. Bear in mind this classic look was once very modern so go figure.. ;)

Like any other style hat, it takes a self assured person to wear one.

all this talk about confidence... makes me want to start a new topic... i think i shall.

dnjan

One Too Many
barrowjh said:
Those little hats are almost fedoras, as the definition of a fedora is "a soft felt hat with the crown creased lengthwise" The fabric hats are not felt, and some may see that as a major (rather than minor) discrepancy, but the definition of fedora does not imply any particular width of brim. Stingy-brim fedoras are often a collector's first wins on ebay, until we realize that there are a TON of them out there, and you can win them really cheap. Those were the most recently made hats that might be labeled 'vintage,' and few were worn to the point of wearing out, so they are plentiful. As demand for hats was dying out, some manufacturers poured great quality into the fur felt; you can often find very high quality suede, velvet, and peluche fur finishes in stingy-brim fedoras, rarely in a wider-brimmed hat that we collectors seek.
Interesting interpretation of history. I thought that Trilby's predated the wide-brimmed fedoras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats