Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New test Navy Uniforms are WWII Throwbacks

Corto

A-List Customer
Check it out.
According to this Navy Times article the Navy is testing out a "new" throwback khaki dress service uniform.

dressservice.jpg

What do you think?
Does it "work" today, or should it just remain a part of the WWII era?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's high time the SDK did come back. It was a mistake ever to phase it out - it was always one of the Navy's smartest.

The FWU* isn't ideal for everything, even in shortsleeved versions.

*"f*gg*ty white uniform," so called by Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men.

Corto

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
It's high time the SDK did come back. It was a mistake ever to phase it out - it was always one of the Navy's smartest.

The FWU* isn't ideal for everything, even in shortsleeved versions.

*"f*gg*ty white uniform," so called by Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men.

A couple of years ago, I read that they wanted to completely phase out the "FWU's" and the "Johnny Cash" uniforms. None of the test uniforms they came up with seemed to foster a positive reaction though. I think this is a better move.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
They can keep the working blues, AFAIC. My dad wore them to NROTC drills in the 50s. They were wool serge then (scratchy) and did not have an authorized outer coat. Now they allow blue coats or windbreakers.

Hopefully aviation will now be allowed to keep (or adopt) the "working" (really dress) green uniform, the best looking of all IMO.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
history.navy.mil

has these great pix:

VF-1B pilots of USS Saratoga with a Boeing F2B, in 1929.
At this time the SDK was a new uniform and only for aviation and sub services. Note the bellows pockets, sleeve braid, and several pilots wearing breeches and kneeboots!
g425912.jpg

Cmdr. C.W. McClusky, Jr., commanding USS Enterprise's air group in 1943. (Then-Lt.(jg) McClusky is at the right rear in the 1929 picture.)
Note his plain front, monkstrap shoes, a favorite with flight officers.
h93186.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Fletch said:
has these great pix:
Cmdr. C.W. McClusky, Jr., commanding USS Enterprise's air group in 1943. (Then-Lt.(jg) McClusky is at the right rear in the 1929 picture.)
h93186.jpg

That's an aviation green uniform. Pretty rare, actually.

Corto

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
has these great pix:

VF-1B pilots of USS Saratoga with a Boeing F2B, in 1929.
At this time the SDK was a new uniform and only for aviation and sub services.

Hunh!
I think it's interesting that the sub services were singled out with aviation to wear the first SDK's.

Great photos.

I'm going to look for khaki-clad submariners now...

ltedge

New in Town
Aviation Greens

Fletch said:
Hopefully aviation will now be allowed to keep (or adopt) the "working" (really dress) green uniform, the best looking of all IMO.

Unfortunately, Aviation Greens are being phased out next year when the new uniforms make their appearance. Definately my favorite and I've worn it many times in place of the more uncomfortable working khaki.

The SDK's look fine, but I'm sure the fit of the jacket will prove uncomfortable to wear all day. I think, at least for many aviators, the khaki jacket will stay at home in favor of the leather flight jacket.

jake431

Practically Family
Fletch said:
h93186.jpg

What I want is a good pair of those Monkstrap shoes. My grandfather had a similar pair (though he was a pilot in the AAF) and I've always wanted some.

Where can they be bought?

-Jake

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
AWG update

ltedge, your treasured greens may not be on the way out after all, if a lieutenant posting to the AirWarriors forum has anything to say about it. He is circulating a letter to various Navy publications with the recommendation that AWG be retained as optional service dress.

This I gather was its unofficial function until the 1970s anyway. Nowadays they are OK only in very limited situations, being classed as work uniforms but unsuited for most work assignments.

The Lt. proposes a low cost option of wearing the G-1 jacket with green fore/aft cap and trousers, the blouse being by far the costliest piece of the uniform.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Sarge said:
I think the throwback uniforms are a good idea. Guess we'll see how the testing goes.

Throwbacks.jpg

Kind of sad that in this "promotional" photo the uniforms are tailored so poorly. The man on the right's trousers are obviously too long, and his coat seems to be as well, also not having been properly taken in at the waist. The coat in general looks cheaply/poorly made, and heavily padded and fused.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
An inevitable consequence of a more democratic, all-volunteer force, I suspect. They don't spend much more time in ties and coats than civilians do anymore. They have higher priorities than tailoring. Coat construction isn't even on the radar.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Fletch said:
They have higher priorities than tailoring. Coat construction isn't even on the radar.

Which is a shame. It certainly isn't from lack of resources. Germany, late in WW2 spent ten times as much effort and talent in outfitting her soldiers in properly-fitted uniforms.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All they need to do is allow tailoring and the folks who care will have it done, just like now.

I paid the extra bucks for the higher-end dress shirts for my Alphas. If I had known better and had more than a Sgt's pay I would have bought all my dress uniforms custom.

ltedge

New in Town
Fletch said:
ltedge, your treasured greens may not be on the way out after all, if a lieutenant posting to the AirWarriors forum has anything to say about it. He is circulating a letter to various Navy publications with the recommendation that AWG be retained as optional service dress.
Fletch, I hope he's successfull, unfortunately I think they've made up their mind, AWG have never been a service dress, that's been reserved for the blues mostly. Since they are worn without ribbons, they've always been designated a "working uniform". Maybe I'll start up my own petition. One of the biggest problems for most Aviators is that the Greens are a working uniform and to cost prohibitive for just an optional uniform. In my squadron for daily use I would leave the jacket at home and just wear the tie with flight jacket, it was more casual and comfortable that way. The more formal tunic would come out when I was the duty officer. The Av Greens are a great Naval Aviation tradition that should be preserved.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
So the actual definition of "working uniform" is NOT a uniform used for work purposes, but a uniform on which ribbons are not worn?

Boy, am I glad I never went in. I tolerate absurdist bureaucracy very poorly.

BTW, the lieutenant I mentioned made the point that brownshoes used to be granted much wider latitude in wearing the greens. They apparently had the status of a service dress without officially being one. Sometime in the 70s they were made subject to the same rules as flightsuits, apparently by a budget minded committee interested in obsolescing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW