Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newly made wooden hat maker tools

Mark DeCou makes good stuff. He's a real stickler for detail, and, being a hand-crafting sorta guy himself (he's done some quite elaborate altar pieces and such) he's one to appreciate a well-designed, well-made tool.

As a consequence, his stuff isn't cheap (by either definition). But it's just great that someone is willing to reproduce old hatter's tools. The market is rather limited, after all.

BTW, some of his hatter's tools are often available on eBay. He has a business relationship with a fellow who handles that for him.

Mark DeCou

Vendor
New Hat Tools on eBay

Thanks TonyB for the kinds words.

"Inexpensive" is a relative term I guess. I don't try and compete on any product by price alone, but on total value and investment potential. Whether it's a simple Band Block, or a Carved piece of furniture, I try to do my best work. And, that takes time. But, over the years, I hope to have developed a reputation of quality that folks can trust. That's what I've been shooting for these past 13 years.

I do my craft work full time to support a family of 4, and live on an average income that most wouldn't consider in the USA. I enjoy my work, and so I'm stubbornly sticking with it right now. However, that does mean that I can't compete on price with hobbyist, or retired folks that have other means of income. I try to keep the prices as low as I can and still get enough value for my invested time to pay our bills, while we work to keep the bills as low as possible.

---------------------

I do have tools occassionally on eBay. Tom of Premier Panama Hats started buying my tools, and kept asking why I wouldn't use eBay. I was just busy enough, that I really didn't need another iron in the fire, and so finally he offered to take some items and post the tools that I have from time to time.

With the economy the way it has been, I am not keeping very many things in inventory, as I just can't afford to hope someone comes around to buy.

When things really started to slow down in the Spring of 2009, I was stuck with quite an inventory of tools that I had to unload to pay bills with, since I had continued building them at the rate they were selling in 2008. But, to stay in business, I had to learn to work smarter than that.

But, from time to time Tom will have those items for sale for me on ebay, and I sometimes have things on Etsy.
----------------------

If you are looking for photos and videos of various hat tools, or my other work, you can start by visiting this link, and follow the embedded links on that page:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/16387

-----------------

To keep my overheads as low as possible, I haven't updated my website for several years. I stay busy enough just with the Lumberjocks postings, and word-of-mouth, that I haven't really needed to spend more money on the website. The Etsy site does allow me to post things with a price, which has saved me a whole bunch of time responding to emails, which come in at the rate of 3-10 a day. Etsy allows me to post a price, and some photos, and if someone wants to buy, it also provides the shopping cart function, all for about 4% of the purchase price, and then I lose another 4% with Paypal.

It's a small operation here, but if you call, or email, at least you get to talk to the boss (wife), or myself. :p

Thanks so much for the encouragement,
Mark DeCou
URL in profile.

We're lucky to have you, Mark. There really is no substitute for the right tool. Something as seemingly simple and easy to fake as a runner-downer or puller-downer (dontcha just love the names those old hatters gave these things?) turns out not to be so simple or easy to fake.

It's been observed that the difference between a good hat and a lesser one is no one thing but a series of little things -- better materials, for sure, but also more careful craftsmanship every step of the way. The same can be said for hand tools, especially tools made for a specific, limited purpose.

Stoney

Practically Family
I have some of Marc's tools and can attest to the quality and workmanship that he puts into them. I feel that you get a very good value when you buy his goods. Marc is also a nice guy who is willing to work with you, one on one, for what you need and that is hard to find these days.

majormoore

Vendor
I have to step in and say that most of the tools he has built came from some of my tools that he used to make copies from or I sent and ask him to make, the band blocks and parts for the formillions all were made when I asked him to rework mine.

Mark does outstanding work, I was very lucky to have found him back when I did,

Major Moore

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
I made an inexpensive stretcher with two c-shaped pieces of plywood and a piece of threaded stock with nuts to expand it. Also cut a hole in two pieces of plywood to press the brim entirely flat so it could be reshaped, sized, and steamed. Will try to post pictures. Also found that a #80 foam sanding block found in the paint section at Wal-mart will put that softer "Touch-me" finisn on stiffer brim felt or wool felt hats...will make a less expensive wool and look feel more expensive.After this, a couple of coats of scotchguard finish the look and process.:)

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
CircuitRider said:
I made an inexpensive stretcher with two c-shaped pieces of plywood and a piece of threaded stock with nuts to expand it. Also cut a hole in two pieces of plywood to press the brim entirely flat so it could be reshaped, sized, and steamed. Will try to post pictures. Also found that a #80 foam sanding block found in the paint section at Wal-mart will put that softer "Touch-me" finisn on stiffer brim felt or wool felt hats...will make a less expensive wool and look feel more expensive.After this, a couple of coats of scotchguard finish the look and process.:)
Hope this works?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran