Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

rgraham

A-List Customer
One thing I have noticed about how some people here wear their caps is, that they pull them down too far onto the back of their head. The reason the caps from Hat People are puffing up is for that reason. Try pinching down on the front of the cap and bring it down onto the bill. Then place the cap on your head while maintaining the pinch. To do otherwise will create the mushroom hat. Unless that is what you prefer of course. The back of the cap shouldn't be near the back of your neck, or touching your ears.

Enig

New in Town
Has anyone got the B! Wear fuller cap? I'm tempted to get one, but would be nice to see one worn by a real person.

Enig

New in Town
Actually went through the whole thread without spotting any B! Wear full cuts. Found a lot of pictures of other nice caps, though, so it was quite nice browsing through the thread. Bookmarked some of them for future reference :)

Sid Ceaser

New in Town
Hi all!

I'm a noob who just posted over in the Cap Faction thread to thank everyone there for posting images which led to me picking up two caps from Hat People. Previously I was a Ivy cap wearing guy who knew Ivy's weren't really the style for my head but never dawned on me that a Newsboy would be what would fit my head better.

Some images since making the fantastic transition:

Light grey newsboy for my wedding:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Same light grey newsboy for my 20x24" tintype wedding portraits:

brown William & Co newsboy as a transition cap until my Hat People order arrived:

And finally my two caps from Hat People: a light green wool in a full cut, and a light green hemp in a medium cut:

Thanks for letting me share!!!

Feraud

Bartender
The more caps I wear the less satisifed I am with modern versions.
Here is a cap profile vendors need to copy
GRAPES-12.jpg

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Has anyone got the B! Wear fuller cap? I'm tempted to get one, but would be nice to see one worn by a real person.

unfortunately the pic isn't very good but this is a B! Wear cap, it is very full and puffy, low key it is not. It's a great winter cap with a heavy coat. Without the coat it's a little overwhelming for me. it doesn't seem to be proportional.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The more caps I wear the less satisifed I am with modern versions.

One problem with modern versions is the way in which they're worn ...

Imagine a round, flat (but not pancaked) brioche resting gently on a ring the circumference of a man's head. The 'brioche' tilts slightly downward toward the ring's front (where the visor is). That's how caps were meant to look in the '20s and '30s.

Some modern caps can be shaped to look this way ... but the modern men who wear them don't know it, or they prefer to either puff up the 'brioche', beanbag-style, or to flatten down the 'brioche' so that it sags and droops down like soggy pita bread.

What really makes me sad is when owners of vintage 1920s-'30s caps wear them as beanbags or wilted pita bread. It's one thing to do so with new caps ... but why denigrate the shape of the vintage ones?

Last edited:

reflected

New in Town
I got my newsboy cap yesterday from hatpeople.com. It's a brown "full cut" and it's a bit on the large side, luckily it's adjustable with a pin and a "built-in" elastic band.

securedownload_1.jpg

securedownload_2.jpg

(I know it looks horrible with a T-shirt, but I quickly snapped these 2 pics, I didn't want to change ;) )

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Has anybody got any recommendations of hats available in the UK, I know of hatsandcaps and menshatshop but are their products good and close to the original don't want one too big as we still have the 'Ecky Thump' thing going on over here with caps.

Sid Ceaser

New in Town
I got my newsboy cap yesterday from hatpeople.com. It's a brown "full cut" and it's a bit on the large side, luckily it's adjustable with a pin and a "built-in" elastic band.

securedownload_1.jpg

That brown looks really really nice. I might have to get a brown one next year to add to my arsenal.

PS - toss on a vest over that t-shirt and you'll be good to go!

Feraud

Bartender
I see your point Marc. Do you think there is also a difference in construction that precludes modern caps from "wearing" in the manner you describe?
Some guys jam the cap down on their head but not all do. Most have that same figlike profile.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Do you think there is also a difference in construction that precludes modern caps from "wearing" in the manner you describe?

Sometimes no, sometimes yes. To achieve a good 'forward tilt', you need a cap that's high enough in the back. Most modern caps don't have that back height.

Furthermore, many vintage '20s-'40s caps were made of 'stiffened' fabric --be it wool, linen or cotton-- that could be shaped via steaming, and the stiffener helped it to retain the shape.

A few modern caps here and here are still made with stiffened cloth, and they lend themselves well to 'golden era-style' shaping. Not that it means anything, if cap wearers don't grab a tea kettle and do the steam-shaping themselves.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy