Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

What makes a quality new boy cap?
I'm no expert, but in my opinion the quality comes in the construction and materials used. I've seen some Newsboy caps that looked like they were assembled by someone who was still learning how to sew--uneven panels, seams that were "bunched up", brims that were offset (i.e., not properly centered on the front of the cap). If you read through some of the Newsboy/Flat Cap threads you'll see quite a few vendors mentioned repeatedly such as Hat People and B! Wear. I've never purchased from B! Wear myself because I don't particularly like the narrower brims they use, but they have quite a few fans here who praise their comfort and construction. I can vouch for the quality of Hat People's caps; I have two currently, and will likely purchase more from them in the future.

I thought I read something about the number of panels. What about the material. It looks like wool is common.
The crown of a traditional Newsboy cap is comprised of eight panels, usually topped with a button where the seams intersect at the top of the crown. Wool is quite common, but I've also seen linen, cotton, denim, and leather used frequently. I would imagine just about any durable material could be used as a matter of personal preference. Satin and cotton seem to be the most common for the liner material.

As for the shape...well, as this thread illustrates, that's also a matter of personal preference. Some, like Marc Chevalier, prefer the more traditional "flat" look, and I think that shape suits him (and many others) very well. I prefer the more modern "floppy/saggy" look myself.

You might also consider looking at "Ivy" caps, another popular style of flat cap. Similar to Newsboy caps, they're generally a bit flatter and narrower. I suggest this only because I have a very good friend I've known for nearly 40 years now, and we both agree Ivy caps suit him better than Newsboy caps; conversely, we also agree Newsboy caps suit me better than Ivy caps.

Above all else, I would suggest you visit a hat shop to try on different styles and colors of flat caps to see which work best for you before making a "blind" purchase online. Speaking from personal experience, any cap can look good in a photo; whether or not it looks as good on your head can be a different matter. ;)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I think you posted this in the main cap thread the cap faction.
538271_103431343130107_100003897247088_12325_1530383634_n.jpg

547439_445753542103413_100000063132344_1615340_2095617890_n.jpg

Here are your pictures.

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Yes! Thought i'd share here aswell, not sure if anyone followed both threads.
Newsboys have 8 panels with a button? What are the caps without the button on the brim? Look more like a fishermans. Spitfire?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes! Thought i'd share here aswell, not sure if anyone followed both threads.
Newsboys have 8 panels with a button? What are the caps without the button on the brim? Look more like a fishermans. Spitfire?

Most just call them flat caps. We talk a lot about caps in the cap faction thread. I am interested in all types of caps though I do love the 8 dart French cap which retro sport makes as in is a 20's style that is not made
by major cap manufactors today.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just bought three 1930s flat caps for patterns. One is pretty shot, two are tiny sizes that I'll size up- so nothing super valuable will be harmed in the process. One is one of those eight-dart one-piece caps. Pretty cool.

If all goes well, by summer, expect to see some authentic '30s repros showing up on ebay.

The caps.

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Just finished the pattern from the solid colored one. Each panel of the 8 panel is different, but I'm trying to figure out if that's a function of the pattern, or just of sloppy cutting 70 years ago. Going from the stitching and quality of materials on that one, I'm thinking just sloppy.

Kind of hate using those first two for patterns- the fabric is so nice, and they're both deadstock. But the sizes are so small- 6-1/2 and 6-5/8, there's no resale value on them.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I will. Working on sourcing vintage fabric and all the appropriate hardware. I guess we'll see how they turn out and how long it takes to fine tune things.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I will. Working on sourcing vintage fabric and all the appropriate hardware. I guess we'll see how they turn out and how long it takes to fine tune things.

Sounds great. I look forward to hearing and seeing how it goes ... :yo:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
My custom caps use leather for the brim, But that also boosts the price.
It would be cool to see whats in expensive caps of that period. That cap is probably a Survivor of the Depression Years

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The tweed ones were more expensive originally. I'll be opening them up later this week, so we'll see. Feels like it may be some sort of leather in one of them from the way it flexes.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
D-Man
Nice Blog's !
& Good Work there its always a intrest to me & others the Hat Making Process.
But even Here F L when it comes to Caps sorta rare to see this aspect of Cap Making, etc.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Another 1930s cap of mine that I wear was deadstock with all the tags on it when I got it. There was a tag on the brim snap that said the brim was "genuine rubber". We'll see what I find when I open the next ones up, but I may buy some 1/8" sheet rubber for brims.
I'm debating sweatbands. Originals had so many ways of handling it. Full leather, half leather/half cloth, half-leather/half liner, satin covered belting, liner-as-sweatband. And linings- there were taped seams, removable crown linings, crown tips, full linings. So many things to decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy