Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Orlan

Familiar Face
I had a half belt Aero 1930's and was a great jacket, a leather excellent but very stiff and heavy, even after two years of use. Since May I have a Californian of GW and I can say it's my favorite jacket, a leather according exepcional anything heavy and will be used better. Worth the price and wait.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Cooperson said:
Being a fan of Californian style jackets I have drooled over the Goodwear 40's style Ventura for a long time. Today, I finally have one in the house.

Although quite similar in style to my Aero Californian, it is shorter with a vintage trim fit. The quality of the workmanship is something to behold and the front quarter horse is beautiful - not quite as rigid as my Highwayman was fresh out the box. The hide is still heavy but pliable and I get the feeling it with break in quite quickly as the grain is already showing.

Basic details are: Vintage sized 42" (trim fit). Russet brown, vegetable-tanned, aniline finished front quarter horsehide. Action back. Reproduction riveted main zipper with Waldes name (copy of 1937 Talon zipper).Vintage Talon ball-chain zipper in chest pocket. Inner snap pocket and a burgundy rayon lining.

My only concern is that it might be a little too trim in the fit for me, so I would very much appreciate opinions of how it looks. Here are the pics:

Ventura---jacket--front.jpg

Ventura---jacket---back.jpg

Ventura---jacket---lining.jpg

Ventura---close-up---front.jpg

Ventura---jacket---inner-po.jpg

Ventura---full-length---sid.jpg

Ventura---full-length---bac.jpg

Awesome fit! John is amazing! I'm not trying to jack the thread here, but how would an Aero Half Belt in size 42 compare to this fit? This is definitely the fit that I would like in a half belt horsehide jacket!!!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Graemsay said:
How does the jacket compare to an Aero?

Sorry for the delay replying - just got back off holiday. Comparing the Goodwear Ventura to my Aero's is difficult because it's such a different style and fit. However, I would say that the quality of materials and manufacture compare very nicely. Probably the most noticeable difference for me was the hide - the Goodwear is more pliable than Aero's heavy horse and is more wearable straight out of the box. Hope this helps.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Mojo1975 said:
Awesome fit! John is amazing! I'm not trying to jack the thread here, but how would an Aero Half Belt in size 42 compare to this fit? This is definitely the fit that I would like in a half belt horsehide jacket!!!

I don't own an Aero half belt, but both my 40" Highwayman and 38" Californian are way looser than than this 42" Ventura. I would say this vintage fit 42" would probably be nearer an Aero 38" Half belt.

Probably the best way to go, would be to provide your actual measurements and then explain how you would like the fit to be. Aero's 30's half belt pattern would be your best bet if you like a snug fit.

Cheers

Graemsay

Practically Family
Thanks for the comments comparing Aero and Goodwear.

The detailing on the Goodwears looks better than the Aeros, and I'm very tempted to order one up.

One thing that I'm hoping is that I could get a Goodwear fitted to me a bit better. I've got big shoulders, and need to go up to a large size to get an Aero to fit. Unfortunately their cuts tend to end up being quite wide in the waist, and don't give a tailored silhouette.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you send John your measurements, he can probably cut the pattern a little larger in the shoulders. Ask him and he will let you know if he can make it to fit you.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Cooperson said:
I don't own an Aero half belt, but both my 40" Highwayman and 38" Californian are way looser than than this 42" Ventura. I would say this vintage fit 42" would probably be nearer an Aero 38" Half belt.

Probably the best way to go, would be to provide your actual measurements and then explain how you would like the fit to be. Aero's 30's half belt pattern would be your best bet if you like a snug fit.

Cheers

If you don't mind, would you send along your height and weight...I have a body type pretty much like yours and I'm looking for this tight fit. Yet, I'm 6'1", 200 lbs., have a 41" chest exhaled, and have a 39" chest inhaled? Sorry to be invasive, but I just want to get the right jacket size...

Cooperson

One Too Many
Mojo1975 said:
If you don't mind, would you send along your height and weight...I have a body type pretty much like yours and I'm looking for this tight fit. Yet, I'm 6'1", 200 lbs., have a 41" chest exhaled, and have a 39" chest inhaled? Sorry to be invasive, but I just want to get the right jacket size...

No problem - I am 5' 11", 178 lbs, chest 39", inhaled 41".

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Peacoat

Bartender
Peacoat said:
If you send John your measurements, he can probably cut the pattern a little larger in the shoulders. Ask him and he will let you know if he can make it to fit you.

What I meant to say is to send him the measurements of a jacket that fits well, and he can work from there.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Cooperson said:
No problem - I am 5' 11", 178 lbs, chest 39", inhaled 41".

Hope this helps.

Cheers

That helps a lot... So, I'm probably a 40 in an Aero Half Belt and a 44 in a Goodwear Ventura....

LOL...I got my exhaled / inhaled measurements backwards ;-( LOL...

One of the Regulars
The Final Countdown for my Goodwear Jacket

Yes... I think that's the proper name for this thread.
I ordered a GW jacket back in May 17th.
It will take few more weeks John said in his last mail few days ago.
It's not an A2, neither a Californian Racer.
It's a one off ( at the present time), that it has John and myself really looking forward to it!
I revised and changed the options quite a few times in the last few months, but using John own words "it will be a bad ass jacket".
Stay tuned!;)

Peacoat

Bartender
I'll be interested to see what you got. Whatever it is, I'm sure you will be pleased with it. My Poughkeepsie A-2 is spot on in fit and looks a treat. Took a bit longer than yours seems to be taking, however. My order went in back in January, and I opened the box just after Labor Day--first part of September for you guys not familiar with this U.S. holiday.

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
I'll be interested to see what you got. Whatever it is, I'm sure you will be pleased with it. My Poughkeepsie A-2 is spot on in fit and looks a treat. Took a bit longer than yours seems to be taking, however. My order went in back in January, and I opened the box just after Labor Day--first part of September for you guys not familiar with this U.S. holiday.

Hello Peacoat;
I absolutely agree with you, and I can't wait to see the final product, you know John is a very talented and nice individual...a pleasure to deal with him.
I'm a motorcyclist, so that's the direction we are going, but it will be also a casual jacket as well.
The A2 Poughkeepsie is an outstanding jacket, do you happen to open a thread about it?, I don't recall seen your new jacket
If so, please let me know.
I hope I will have my GW jacket for Thanksgiving time!

Orlan

Familiar Face
1087 said:
Hello Peacoat;
I absolutely agree with you, and I can't wait to see the final product, you know John is a very talented and nice individual...a pleasure to deal with him.
I'm a motorcyclist, so that's the direction we are going, but it will be also a casual jacket as well.
The A2 Poughkeepsie is an outstanding jacket, do you happen to open a thread about it?, I don't recall seen your new jacket
If so, please let me know.
I hope I will have my GW jacket for Thanksgiving time!

I own a Californian venture and the time I was waiting for his jacket, which was about six months, was truly worth. dealing with mr John was exquisite and made a wonderful jacket. You will not regret! You'll see!

One of the Regulars
Orlan said:
I own a Californian venture and the time I was waiting for his jacket, which was about six months, was truly worth. dealing with mr John was exquisite and made a wonderful jacket. You will not regret! You'll see!

How you doing Orlan?
I remember your thread and your unique Ventura jacket, absolutely a gorgeous jacket ( joder!).
John is the man!

Cooperson

One Too Many
1087 - You have me intrigued! What ever it is you will not be disappointed. My Ventura has now broken in a treat and it's become my 'go to' jacket. The hide John uses and the quality of his workmanship is top quality. Can't wait to see your design!

Mr Peacoat - Would really like to see your new Goodwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy