Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newsboy: Hannah or Hat People?

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Ok, so I've been looking through a ton of posts regarding newsboy caps. I was considering bwear, HP, and Hannah. The bwear caps seem to have a narrower bill wich I do not like. So I'm down to the Hannah and HP. Does anyone have any side by side pics to compare? Also, I'm looking at herringbone and I think the Hannah may be a pretty large pattern wich I'm not sure about.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I have a Hanna herringbone newsboy that I like quite a bit. Got it about 5 years ago and wear it a good bit during fall and winter and its going strong. Don't have any pics of mine right now, but I can take some later this evening.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I have a Hanna herringbone newsboy that I like quite a bit. Got it about 5 years ago and wear it a good bit during fall and winter and its going strong. Don't have any pics of mine right now, but I can take some later this evening.

Please, I would love to see it.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have both a Hanna cap and a Hat People cap. They're both different styles. The Hat People cap is an eight-panel, whereas the Hanna is the "driving cap" or "ivy cap" style. I actually like both.

The Hanna Cap:
HannaGray1.jpg

The Hat People Cap:
HatPeoplewool2.jpg

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Scion,

I am really looking for a side by side comparison of the Hanna and Hatpeople in the 8 panel for this thread. However, both caps look great. Which cut do you have of the hatpeople 8 panel? But, since you do have the Hanna flat cap, and I am looking at adding one of those to my collection as well.....does the back of that hat land low on the back of your head? That's what I would like as my current flat cap rides pretty high.

Last edited:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Rocky,
Here are some pics of the side view of both hats. The cut on my Hat People is the Medium Cut, which is the shortest cut they offer. I don't know if this will help you or not, but I measured the length of the inside seam of the back of the Hanna hat to the opening, and came up with 3.25". It comes down about halfway over the back of my head. Of course, this hat is a small, so I don't know if the measurement I took will be more for a larger hat. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you need more.

HannaSideProfile.jpg

HatPeopleSideProfile.jpg

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Several weeks ago I got a Hanna 8-piece cap in brown herringbone tweed. I've been wearing it a lot, it's had a lot of compliments, and I completely love it, so much so that I'm strongly considering getting the same cap in both the grey and the green, for a complete set.

It's not easy to describe the quality of the tweed that Hanna uses... it looks different under different conditions. From a distance it looks brown, the herringbone pattern is only apparent closer up. I don't find the herringbone pattern to be particularly large or obvious in real life, though it may seem that way in some photos. Photographs really can't capture the sheer niceness of the material. I'm very impressed and I highly recommend Hanna.

EDIT: My cap size is Medium, and it's a pretty good fit. The back of the cap is reasonably low and fits nicely over the back of my skull, much like Scion's caps in the pics above.

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The bwear caps seem to have a narrower bill wich I do not like. .

I don't understand. Perhaps Brett's caps seem that way as the top of his caps are more full and, to my thinking, much more vintage looking and correct? It may be a matter of proportion as you view them.
I have caps from B!Wear and Hat People and the HP one
never gets worn. I look like a Maoist zealot in it.

Can't speak for Hannah but it looks nice here.
I wouldn't dismiss B!Wear out of hand.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I cannot speak for the other brands, but HP caps have heavy cloth in the bill and not cardboard, as so many other caps do. This allows for a more 'authentic' look, and there is no danger of the cap being ruined when the cardboard is bent beyond its breaking point. Here's me in my medium cut, size 7 3/8 (sorry, no others for comparison):

0825001255.jpg

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I have a Hanna 8-piece in Donegal tweed. I was given it as a birthday present last year by my parents (my surname is Hannah!). I love it, and wear it regularly in the winter. I wore it in Edinburgh last year at Hogmanay, and received lots of compliments, from older men, and attractive young women. My friends were a bit wary of it at first though, since it has a very vintage full cut. It also has a nice, small vintage style centre button. My only quibble with it is it could do with a fully stitched in sweatband as part of the construction. This would give it a more tailored look at the back.

CIMG14592-1-1.jpg

To the OP, the Hanna cap does sit low on the back of the head, and the bill is a fairly medium length to me.

Last edited:

Viper Man

Banned
I never tried the HP caps but i bought a B!Wear and hated it. The fit and cut was awful and the "leather" sweatband wasn't quite what I was expecting. I have since been buying John Lofgren's caps and haven't looked back although I do own a Borsolino linen for summer. I haven't found a better summer cap yet.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know which hatpeople 8 panel cut is closest to the Hanna 8 panel?

I'm thinking the second to last biggest cut, because the biggest seems a bit much compared to my Hanna. I prefer the Hat People caps, but I like a floppier cap. The Hanna has more structure to it. I can roll the HP and stick it in a pocket if I want.

HP from the front:
2961330155_aef8fa3af7.jpg

Hanna front:
3351340637_91cf40db96_z.jpg

HP side:
3285897792_1121fec98a.jpg

Hanna Side:
3352166660_4a5d7698ea.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
Does anyone know if HP periodically changes the fabrics they offer? I don't see a brown herringbone on their website right now. Although I do like the hounds tooth they are offering right now.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think I may have been one of the last to get that brown herringbone, but that was a few years ago. They may have something like it again. As Torpedo says, contact them. They have more that is pictured on the website.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I contacted HP a couple of days ago. They buy their fabric in quantity and when it's gone, it's gone as pendleton typically does not carry the same fabric for more than one run. The only exception to this is the tartans. He said he did not have anything not represented on his website at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR